• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Bar

Rock Strongo

dodgy Dave Goosegog
My bar is bone dry and I need to add some refreshments come Christmas. I got the taste for tequila this summer after spending a few days with an Australian holiday neighbour who was a connesieur.
Bought a bottle of Patrón back then and enjoyed it. Bit pricey though, any recommendations for a budget sipping tequila?

What's in your bar and what do you recommend? I enjoy gin, whisky, aquavit and now tequila. I'll have the occasional cognac when offered, but it's not really my thing anymore.

I enjoy a brandy but I'm not picky, single malt is my thing, smoky mainly, Lagavulin and Kilchoman my preference

Aye, bought a few Kilchoman Machir Bay before. Very good stuff. Maybe it was you who mentioned it in an earlier post. Nowhere to be found in shops here in Norway, had to order it.

My bar is bone dry and I need to add some refreshments come Christmas. I got the taste for tequila this summer after spending a few days with an Australian holiday neighbour who was a connesieur.
Bought a bottle of Patrón back then and enjoyed it. Bit pricey though, any recommendations for a budget sipping tequila?

What's in your bar and what do you recommend? I enjoy gin, whisky, aquavit and now tequila. I'll have the occasional cognac when offered, but it's not really my thing anymore.
If you're into Tequila, Don Abraham is a good compromise of quality/price. Can't comapare with patron, but that one is almost twice the price.
I like cognac, and Hine rare V.S.O.P is one of my favorites in the affordable price range. Smooth as cream!
I have a bottle of the Hine Antique XO Premier Cru also, which is exquisite, but that one is more than £150.

Have a drop of rum my son, you can pick this for about £50

8aaa60505d7c4c07cee9a041898ab6de.jpg

If you're into Tequila, Don Abraham is a good compromise of quality/price. Can't comapare with patron, but that one is almost twice the price.
I like cognac, and Hine rare V.S.O.P is one of my favorites in the affordable price range. Smooth as cream!
I have a bottle of the Hine Antique XO Premier Cru also, which is exquisite, but that one is more than £150.
Thanks for the tip [emoji106]

Sent fra min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

Zacapa XO is the best rum i have tasted, comes in at around £100 though - the Zacapa 23 year is a decent cheaper drop

El Dorado 15
Santa Teresa 1796
Diplimatico Reserva Exclusiva

are all top rums also (haven't tried the Plantation posted above but it has a good rep)

for mixing rums for roostertails i would get some Havana white and the 7 year old too, plain old Bacardi is worth having in the cupboard as well.

get yourself some Angostura bitters too - probably the best way to give your home drinks a professional taste

bottle of Kahlua and some vodka for homemade Espresso Martinis...

Last edited:
I’m preferring soft drinks as I close in on 50. Pressed ginger on its own. And green healthy smoothies.

However, booze wise I like strong flavours this time of year:
Benedictine
Quince Gin
Laphraoig
Porters barley wines and double ipas.
Barossa Shiraz.

Always accompanied with pints and pints of water...

Of all the Islay malts, my favourite before I knocked booze on the head was Bowmore Dusk. Claret-casked, all the TCP phenol goodness of its neighbours but with an extra ineffability all its own. Strong recommend, if it still exists.

I am/was a Tequilla man myself and always like the to have a Tequilla Sunrise when i was relaxing; As for whiskey i was a JD man.

My favourite rum is Angostura 1919, as it reminds me of visiting family back in Trinidad

View attachment 5522

Trinidad family? we have to talk about that sometime. Try visiting "Limin" in London (open in last couple of months), good trinidad food, great selection of rums

Blended rums are great, especially the aged ones.
- I'd opt for the Angostura 1824 over the 1919, there is an Angostura One that I haven't had the opportunity to taste yet (next on list)
- Pampero Aniversario is my go to reasonable cost blended rum (pretty unique heavy molasses flavor)
- Santa Teresa 1796 is my go to for mixed drinks, decent aged blend.

There is a Havana Club Maximo if you have the budget .. basically top of food chain for rum (1K price range)

A good Prosecco/Cava/Champagne in the fridge is good for a drink with the missus (her thing is usually wine)

From my time in US/Canada, a good burbon or rye with a mixer works .. (too many to name in the reasonable price range)

Back