1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

The Art of VAR

Discussion in 'General Football' started by Gutter Boy, 28 Feb 2018.

1. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL John Lacy

2. scaramanga

scaramanga Erik Thorstvedt Staff Member

Not real football - not important. The ref at my local park gets brick wrong too.

3. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Vedran Corluka

I haven't watched the game, don't mind women's football but I draw the line at watching Scotland, but that picture looks like it was taken after ball was moved. The rule as I understand it is that the keeper can come their line once the ball has moved.

4. scaramanga

Are you sure? It looks pretty clear to me that the taker is still on her down swing - she hasn't nearly kicked the ball yet.

5. glasgowspur

Not really no, it's a bit fuzzy. Looking at the proportions the ball looks pretty big, as if it's closer to the camera.
    Anyway, can we now start a campaign to get it changed from s p u r s y to Scotlandy?

6. scaramanga

Yes we can, but you need your eyesight checked! Here's the same picture cropped, zoomed and sharpened:

D9dLRH4XUAUAapk.jpg

The taker is clearly on her downswing. This would be even clearer when pausing the video oneself, but it's clear enough from a photo.

SteveAWOL likes this.
  7. jts1882

jts1882 Chris Armstrong

This use of VAR for pernickety marginal calls will ruin the game. The use of technology to prevent clear and obvious errors by the referee is important, but they seem to have abandoned this approach. The VAR referee spends several minutes looking for evidence that there might be a foul, then calls the referee to look at the evidence. The referee will nearly always confirm it as a foul on video. But all capacity for fine judgement is lost.

And the new penalty regulation is ridiculous, shifting the balance far too much away from the goalkeeper. It would be simpler to award a penalty goal if its not a fair contest. To have a chance the goalkeeper has to anticipate, which means they go early if the kicker stutters, and it is impossible to dive sideways along the goal line (the mechanics of the skeleton and muscle determine this).

8. MKSpur

MKSpur Sergei Rebrov

Agreed. It seems some incidents will be forensically analyses and others won’t when what we are asking for is some assistance for obvious mistakes that impact matches. If you are going to analyse the keeper on their line for a pen or book Son and disallow the goal for a stuttering run up you may as well start enforcing where people take throw ins from. If the handball rule is now any ball hitting the hand if it’s not by your side then any tug of the shirt should be a booking offence too. I’m not even sure how if feel about the marginal offside calls but it fees like it’s been over applied at key situations that were never being contested before.

9. glasgowspur

I meant not really as in a reply yo your 'are you sure?', not really.
    As I said I hadn't seen the video.
    I mean Scotland, Argentina, a world cup, what could go wrong?

scaramanga likes this.
  10. jts1882

jts1882 Chris Armstrong

Some common sense?

VARs in Premier League will not order penalty re-take if goalkeeper comes off line next season

harr1984 and nayenezgani like this.
  11. Grays_1890

Grays_1890 Milija Aleksic

Millions of penalties all under one roof its called VARs are us

12. Modric THFC

Modric THFC Steffen Iversen

VAR is like installing CCTV everywhere on the remit of stopping robberies, muggings and assaults and then the police using it to go after litter droppers and people crossing the road at a red light.

It should be big decision only after the ref has clearly got something wrong.

Football is turning into a game for pedants.

13. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Jimmy Neighbour

decisions

14. r-u-s-x

r-u-s-x Young-Pyo Lee

Mission Creep, its a solution looking for problems.

Rules being changed to suit VAR - more black and white, less subjective. The new handball law is not improving the game just making it easier to reach a VAR decision.

K.D.D.D.D.Soc likes this.
  15. scaramanga

I wish I were able to like this more than just the once.

AuroRaman likes this.
  16. Wilheldiva

Wilheldiva Calum Davenport

this was always going to be the problem with var.

football is (and has always been) played on precedent rather than rules. the rules are merely a guideline, and are always broken. theres basically millions of "small" infringements in every game of football. var shines a light on all of this and its not pretty. if we were to literally follow all of the rules, the game would be completely different. I'm confident that you could find something wrong in the build up to >50% of goals if you really wanted to (the figure may actually be very close to 400%).

when the authorities bought in var, the ramifications clearly weren't well thought out.

the prem refusing to use var for GK's on the line during penalties shows how much of a farce this has become. theyre basically telling gk's that its ok to flout this rule.

i really wouldn't be surprised if theres no var of any sort in football within the next 2 or so years. theres simply no good way of really implementing it without having major inconsistencies.

r-u-s-x likes this.
  17. parklane1

parklane1 Andy Thompson

We live in hope.

18. r-u-s-x

r-u-s-x Young-Pyo Lee

No chance Genie is out the bottle on this one. Still having issues in Italy and Germany 2 + years on and no sign of them pulling it.

Given Infantino's decisions since in hindsight maybe Blatter wasn't so bad, at least he was against VAR & the Qatar WC.

19. parklane1

parklane1 Andy Thompson

You are probably right about that ( sad to say).

r-u-s-x likes this.
  20. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Jimmy Neighbour

Nice part of the country.