• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

Given the issues around corruption, or at least the spectre of corruption, Im really not sure Spain can be used a basis to contest VAR in the UK.

It sounds very much like if use of VAR were properly specified and understood, and if its decisions/decision making properly communicated - most issues with it disappear.
Issues will not disapear while there is so much grey area - Liverpool are convinced Harry Kane is a diver due to the fact he won a penalty that 95% of people say is a penalty and Salah is not given "there was contact".

Apparently they are updating the handball rule from next year, if you gain an advantage as an attacker in the penalty box due to the ball hitting your hand it will be handball. This to me (not necessarily a bad thing) is a rule change from subjective to objective to make VAR run more smoothly. Its got to be careful in future to not change the rules to support VAR rather than have VAR support enforcing the rules.

I think there will always be those who argue against a decision, simply because they dont like it. Its irrational, and cant really be countered.

I am convinced that pretty well everyone else will be satisfied with decisions made if they can see they are a fair interpretation of the rules. Even if I disagree myself, if I can see why a conclusion was reached, if I have that understanding, Im basically ok with it.

Though I honestly think, so long as the VAR referees integrity cannot be questioned (as with Spain) that virtually all decisions will be fair/right anyway.

At which point - what is there to complain about?

I do absolutely share a fear of the rules being changed significantly to suit VAR - thats a potentially slippery slope.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/23/mauricio-pochettino-var-premier-league-spurs

The Tottenham manager does not believe the system is slick enough, which has led to lengthy delays while decisions have been reviewed. They are particularly damaging to the high‑tempo English game, he argues, where breaks in play feel more pronounced. Pochettino also says that football is about emotion, tension, intuition and even refereeing mistakes – and he fears VAR could dilute this.

Spurs visit Chelsea on Thursday night in the Carabao Cup semi-final second leg, having won the first leg 1-0 with a Harry Kane penalty awarded after VAR review.

Pochettino said: “It is a good idea to delay [VAR’s introduction to the Premier League] because if we don’t have all the information or don’t know how it will work or how we can better develop the system, it is better to stop for one year or more.

“Nobody in Europe is happy with VAR and what worries me is that there is going to be a situation where football starts to annoy the fans. If you stop for five minutes for a decision, I don’t know how they are going to behave.

“Goalline technology is the best but, after that, it is about how the referee perceives things. The emotion is not going to be there, the feelings and the tension. Maybe technically it is a handball but we know very well when it is intentional and only the referee and the players around can decide that. On the video, you cannot perceive that.”

Pochettino recalled his team’s FA Cup fifth-round replay win against Rochdale last season, which was marred by a series of long-winded and baffling VAR reviews, and he suggested that if supporters in Spain and Italy were having problems with the system, it would be much worse when it arrived in the Premier League.

“That’s because the game in England is more dynamic,” Pochettino said. “If you compare to Spain or Italy, the ball is in play more in England. Fans in this country are used to play, transition, corner, goal, boom. It is more instant.

“In the Rochdale replay there was an incident in the first half that took forever to decide. There were 10,000 less fans after half-time. That situation was difficult to accept and I’m not sure if you get a benefit. Those who are pro‑VAR say the technology will help but football is also about mistakes – players, managers and referees.

“I am telling the people responsible that we need information [on why and when VAR should be used] because if we don’t know, it is going to be a big problem.”

Var in the UK 'so far' has been terribly implemented.
Watched it a lot in Italy and it been much smoother.
Mind the just confirms my thoughts on PGMOL.

Not saying that Poch doesn't have some valid concerns, and the use of VAR at the Rochdale game was indeed my favourite buttplug, especially for those in the ground - but it's wrong to blame the VAR debacle for thousands of people leaving that game at half time. It might have been the reason for some leaving but the snow blizzard that night probably played a bigger part in people deciding to call it a night early on and make sure they got home.

It might have been the reason for some leaving but the snow blizzard that night probably played a bigger part in people deciding to call it a night early on and make sure they got home.

A mix of the two might have also been key. Why stick around if its gonna be diabolical.

Or all wrong decisions. Until you play the game the decisions both right and wrong.
Please bear in mind that you are the most biased person on this board, when it comes to ref decisions.
In every single game you are apoplectic after 15 minutes, adamant the ref is 100% against us. Every game.

Please bear in mind that you are the most biased person on this board, when it comes to ref decisions.
In every single game you are apoplectic after 15 minutes, adamant the ref is 400% against us. Every game.
Because they're all useless clams

So the reason that the pen decision in tonight's game took so long, the VAR screen at pitch side was not working. Yet another VAR farce.

i don't like the idea of the screen on the side of the pitch the var decision should be made from on high .If its not conclusive then you stick with the refs decision .Teams like Juve are beginning to work the system by making sure that on every cross someone falls over.It worked to have the first goal disallowed but not on the second.I'd rather have more linesmen on the side and the odd human error but var is here to stay even though there doesn't seem to be any clear guidelines of when and where to use it.

While the wait on the decision was an absolute farce, it has to be said it was the first Ive seen in a long time.

Most have been pretty efficient.

Not sure what the screen on the pitch has to do with anything, the ref made little attempt to use it anyway - the delay seemed to be more about the decision coming down the line and lord knows why that took so long.

While the wait on the decision was an absolute farce, it has to be said it was the first Ive seen in a long time.

Most have been pretty efficient.

Not sure what the screen on the pitch has to do with anything, the ref made little attempt to use it anyway - the delay seemed to be more about the decision coming down the line and lord knows why that took so long.

It creates a terrible fan experience … as usual fudging people make things way too complicated, two fudging rules
- Ref shouldn't use VAR unless he missed the moment, leave 2 challenges to each team (like tennis), the players know if its a real thing or not.
- If you can't make a decision in 45 seconds, use the on field decision and move on.

It was awful to watch ...

Back