• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

I'd actually agree to some extent, two things stood out for me last night

- As Poch said, I stopped celebrating goals spontaneously after Lamela's was ruled out. That totally fudges up the experience, part of attending games is the screaming and hugging/celebrations we people who 10 seconds before were complete strangers
- My missus (Spurs fan) was completely frustrated in 1st half, she said it was the worst game to watch that she has ever seen. Really not a good audience reaction.

For me, this is the biggie. Said the same thing as soon as I saw it in action. When you at a match you tend to see the offisde flag go up so you know straight away it's getting disallowed, now in a VAR match, you just wont be able to celebrate safe in the knowledge it wont get challenged..until the restart

I think you are being overly dramatic. It's a huge leap equating VAR with the "Americanisation" of football. Football has change; in the modern era the players are fitter and the ball moves faster - there is cheating on the pitch and the refs need extra eyes with making the most important decisions and that is the main purpose of VAR.

I'll just leave this here for the Luddites:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/43115766?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5a971755680cc406742ac4d4&Get involved&&ns_fee=0#post_5a971755680cc406742ac4d4

I'm not an England fan, I only support one team Tottenham Hotspur. As for your asinine comments about my being overly dramatic.Lets look at the facts shall we? Standing gone, smoking gone, swearing forbidden , stewards referred to as "the Green team" like we are at Facking Disneyland. Maybe I am a dinosaur but football for me was at its best in the 70's and 80's . No phone ins, no "punditry" no replica shirts or scarves with the names of both teams printed on them and no VAR. It all worked fine for me but no, we had to modernise.

Well as i have said before i think the use of VAR is just another nail in the coffin of what once was the greatest game in the world, i know some would say that is a over reaction but i could not disagree more, and here is why. I have been attending matches for over 50 years but at last night game i was on the verge of leaving the game at half time ( something i have never done or considered before).

The reason was the farce of a first half that was caused because of VAR, there were a few of us who were going to do just that but we decided that having paid our money we would see the game out ( and it did get better). However if it continues the way is has done ( even in other countries there are the same problems happening) then it may be the FINAL nail in the coffin of myself and mates travelling up and down the country to watch what is rapidly turning into a joke.

Goal line decisions is fine but the rest will NEVER work because there will be different opinions on whatever they decide ( case in point is the perfectly good goal by Lamela which was wrongly ruled out).

Word. 110% this. I was doing my nut in the Pub , so Lord only knows how you must have felt at the game.

I'm not an England fan, I only support one team Tottenham Hotspur. As for your asinine comments about my being overly dramatic.Lets look at the facts shall we? Standing gone, smoking gone, swearing forbidden , stewards referred to as "the Green team" like we are at Facking Disneyland. Maybe I am a dinosaur but football for me was at its best in the 70's and 80's . No phone ins, no "punditry" no replica shirts or scarves with the names of both teams printed on them and no VAR. It all worked fine for me but no, we had to modernise.
Yes, the 70's and 80's where football hooliganism was rife and you were more than likely to get your head kicked-in... Best times to be a spectator at a football match especially going with your family. I guess you enjoyed a ruck in your S&M gear during those times. Did the ruck happen before or after you went cruising down in Old Compton Street?

Yes, the 70's and 80's where football hooliganism was rife and you were more than likely to get your head kicked-in... Nice times to be a spectator at a football match especially going with your family. I guess you enjoyed a ruck in your S&M gear during those times. Did the ruck happen before or after you went cruising down in Old Compton Street?

Excuse me? What does any of that have to do with the subject we were discussing. You sir are a homophobe. How very dare you? I shall not be speaking with you again.

Last edited:

no seats, no family stands, no decent toilet facilities, no fire safety, no policing outside the stadium, no way of keeping your kids away from second hand smoke, first hand swearing and recycled alcohol fumes

I'll take it as it is now thanks

And the attendances were falling through the 70s and 80s, so a lot of fans felt the same way. The idea that demand for tickets would be far higher than supply would have been considered far-fetched, which is probably why most clubs were happy to downsize capacity when they went all-seater rather than use the opportunity to expand.

VAR is not operating properly at the moment, but it is in a trial period (how the FA Cup has fallen). They need to speed it up, limit its use to major errors (not judgement calls), leave the final decision to the referee, and let the fans know what is happening.

Checking goals for obvious errors (offside, fouls, etc) shouldn't take more time than necessary to get ready for the restart. If it's not clear on one (or at most two) video reviews it is not a clear error. The same for other decisions, the clear mistakes should be obvious on watching the video once or twice. If the video needs to be watched many times to make a narrow decision it is not a clear error and isn't the type of incident VAR was designed to address. The referees and VAR officials need to understand this as they clearly don't at present.

Lamela "goal". Question: was there a foul in the build up? If it isn't obvious who fouled who then the goal stands.

Penalty decision. Question: was it in the area? If it isn't obvious then the original decision of a free kick stands.

Both can be decided in 15-30 seconds, less than the time taken for the restart or preparing for the free kick or penalty. If functioning correctly, neither decision would add time.

There was nothing in the game on Wednesday that should have been subject to VAR. The only clearly wrong decision was not allowing Son’s penalty, but as we’ve seen even VAR didn’t know the correct rule on that.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43256551
'Greater fairness with the occasional interruption'
Ifab technical director and former Premier League referee David Elleray said 40 countries are using, trialling or are interested in VAR technology.

He told BBC Sport: "Football has to decide does it want to use in a system which will bring in greater accuracy and fairness, albeit with some delay occasionally.

"Or do they want to stay where they are, where the fans are complaining that something is clearly wrong, everybody watching on television can see it was wrong, everybody in the stadium can see on their mobile phones that it was wrong, but the one person who needed to see the replay wasn't allowed to look at the replay?

"People have to decide do they want greater fairness or do they want continued unfairness because they don't want to occasional interruption?"
serveimage

Or do they want to stay where they are, where the fans are complaining that something is clearly wrong, everybody watching on television can see it was wrong, everybody in the stadium can see on their mobile phones that it was wrong, but the one person who needed to see the replay wasn't allowed to look at the replay?

Except that isn't what happens. It's an invisible ref (the VAR) looking at the replay, not the ref on the pitch (unless the VAR suggests he do so).
In the trials we've had so far, how many times has the match official watched a replay?

Yes.

If you're going to innovate using technology, why not use current technology? Why wasn't there a trial for refs to use a mobile device to select and review all relevant footage - ideally, synched to the big screen so spectators can see what material is being called up?

Yes.

If you're going to innovate using technology, why not use current technology? Why wasn't there a trial for refs to use a mobile device to select and review all relevant footage - ideally, synched to the big screen so spectators can see what material is being called up?

When the ref wants to check if a goal is legit, he would download the VAR app onto his mobile. Then selects a series of options from drop down boxes indicating the reason for his query.

"Is your query relating to:
Offside
Foul in build up
Handball
You don't know the rule concerning feignting " etc

"Thank you for your enquiry, the FA strives to respond to all queries within 2-3 working days. In the meantime you may wish to visit the FAQs on the fa.com"

Whilst this is going on, the crowd can keep warm by shouting vitriolic abuse at him and making tv screen gestures with their hands.

I'm in.

"Or do they want to stay where they are, where the fans are complaining that something is clearly wrong, everybody watching on television can see it was wrong, everybody in the stadium can see on their mobile phones that it was wrong, but the one person who needed to see the replay wasn't allowed to look at the replay?

"People have to decide do they want greater fairness or do they want continued unfairness because they don't want to occasional interruption?"

People will just moan about the video refs decisions, they will still call the game bias. Do you think Liverpool fans will accept both of our penalties were correct just because Bob in Uxbridge told them it was (as every decent pundit and ex ref has already said)

The game will lose a lot and gain very little.

Why not just rid of all humanity all together, and have 11 robots against 11 robots? You wouldn't even need a ref then because their GPS awareness would prevent them ever being offside and their directive programming would forbid them from fouling.

Why not just rid of all humanity all together, and have 11 robots against 11 robots? You wouldn't even need a ref then because their GPS awareness would prevent them ever being offside and their directive programming would forbid them from fouling.

sounds good to me

Back