• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

Its proved both sides right that's will be a problem

- those who favour it will point to the ones it got right, improved accuracy and the fact it became less intrusive
- those who do not favour it will point to the fudge ups, the ones they missed and the fact they appeared to ditch it later in the tournament.

Both sides are entrenched now - I know I have had my opinions reaffirmed, what it brings do not outweigh what it takes away.

Thats a fair summary

For my money the whole argument for was to eradicate mistakes, I am happy to admit that for the decisions taken by VAR it has done that however its introduction has opened up a whole new set of mistakes.

It has felt like following the debacles of the group stages the VARs have been told to scale down their interventions. They're stilling getting some wrong but even when they get them right the ref is often choosing to ignore them.

But if this is how it has to be then I suppose I can live with it. The day they get every decision correct will never come.

It has felt like following the debacles of the group stages the VARs have been told to scale down their interventions. They're stilling getting some wrong but even when they get them right the ref is often choosing to ignore them.

But if this is how it has to be then I suppose I can live with it. The day they get every decision correct will never come.

The day of using the system correctly should however be here if itas being used on the biggest stage in football. Thats where I can't have it

VAR has been brilliant. Way more corrections made, than mistakes. I'm all for it, a massive upgrade to the beautiful game.

Agreed. For one it has reduced the number or controversial incidents and red cards. Apparently, there were fewest red cards given in this World Cup since 1978.

failed again! If you can’t use it for a non free kick in a situation like that then what’s the point?

Was it offside as well?

Nothing to do with VAR, which did its part correctly. They have to refer that to the ref and it's his call.
It wasn’t a clear and obvious error!

What about the offside for their first goal? Not to mention the fact it wasn’t even a free kick, VAR should be reviewing it but not allowed to.

Ok watched the replay, wasn’t offside.

Last edited:
It wasn’t a clear and obvious error!

What about the offside for their first goal?

Maybe the ref missed it in real time?

A handball in the box is clearly something VAR should look at. In the end it's still up to the ref. Either he saw it and can say it was nothing or he can have a look.

Massive issue with Var is a refs decision made at normal speed is reviewed in Slomo... so his review is massively effected by the speed he sees it at yet someone in a tv studio calls him up and says I’ve reviewed it in slomo and you have fudged up mate

Maybe the ref missed it in real time?

A handball in the box is clearly something VAR should look at. In the end it's still up to the ref. Either he saw it and can say it was nothing or he can have a look.
It’s a 50/50 decision though, you can not be certain it’s deliberate, shouldn’t be giving it IMO.

This is the problem with implementing VAR I’m afraid, grey areas in the law.

Seeing it a few times now in slomo, it seems the player clearly moves his hand to hit the ball. Maybe they got it right?

Back