• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

Okay so we fundamentally disagree about the issue of keepers moving EXCESSIVELY before the penalty has been taken. I'm not talking about minor infringements, I have been talking all along about MAJOR floutings of the rule where the outcome of the game is affected. That is just a much cheating as wrestling players to the ground. You clearly disagree.

Houston we have a problem!!!
No I am saying fifa do not care about it as the same thing has happened in 15/19 penalties this tournament and many many more before despite it being easy to rectify with or without VAR.

Are you saying all these are reffing errors rather than applying the law as they are instructed.

No I am saying fifa do not care about it as the same thing has happened in 15/19 penalties this tournament and many many more before despite it being easy to rectify with or without VAR.

Are you saying all these are reffing errors rather than applying the law as they are instructed.

I'm saying that the arrival of VAR has now changed the whole dynamic. As explained above, it has already set a precedent for refs being overruled when they deliberately and persistently failed to penalise wrestling in the box.

So even though thus far referees have indeed continued to ignore excessive movement by keepers before a penalty has been taken, sooner or later (imo) the VAR will be obliged to knock that on the head too.

I'm saying that the arrival of VAR has now changed the whole dynamic. As explained above, it has already set a precedent for refs being overruled when they deliberately and persistently failed to penalise wrestling in the box.

So even though thus far referees have indeed continued to ignore excessive movement by keepers before a penalty has been taken, sooner or later (imo) the VAR will be obliged to knock that on the head too.
OK I am done, if you think a ref couldn't see the movement without VAR that's up to you

OK I am done, if you think a ref couldn't see the movement without VAR that's up to you
You say you are done then you go and put words into my mouth. So no, I have never said the refs cannot see the movement without VAR. I have agreed with you that up to now they have continued to overlook it! But I argued that VAR now puts the spotlight on such incidents. So it is the spotlight that VAR puts on incidents, together with the meeja reaction to it, that is changing the way the game is refereed.

Since they have decided to ditch the VAR in the knockouts its really improved....

(;) Joking)

What i will say is that that those games have been far better and exciting to watch without all the VAR nonsense and gonad*s we got / saw in the group games.

You say you are done then you go and put words into my mouth. So no, I have never said the refs cannot see the movement without VAR. I have agreed with you that up to now they have continued to overlook it! But I argued that VAR now puts the spotlight on such incidents. So it is the spotlight that VAR puts on incidents, together with the meeja reaction to it, that is changing the way the game is refereed.

If VAR has shown anything, its that everything is still on the ref.

The spotlight has been on incidents unseen by the ref, penalty box shenanigans and the like, and also "major incidents" like penalty calls.

It is simply a tool for them to use, from what Ive seen exclusively in open play.

Actual penalties, I dont see what they have to do with VAR at all.

There are 2 or 3 refs all stood and focused on a single even. VAR need not apply, and youre the only person Ive seen trying to connect VAR to this.

All that being said, I dont disagree with you (or rusx) that how the penalties are being refereed are "wrong". Clearly there is encroachment and it is not meant to be allowed. However, thats on the ref, nothing else.

And refereeing is something I think in general needs to be improved, with or without VAR

If VAR has shown anything, its that everything is still on the ref.

The spotlight has been on incidents unseen by the ref, penalty box shenanigans and the like, and also "major incidents" like penalty calls.

It is simply a tool for them to use, from what Ive seen exclusively in open play.

Actual penalties, I dont see what they have to do with VAR at all.

There are 2 or 3 refs all stood and focused on a single even. VAR need not apply, and youre the only person Ive seen trying to connect VAR to this.

All that being said, I dont disagree with you (or rusx) that how the penalties are being refereed are "wrong". Clearly there is encroachment and it is not meant to be allowed. However, thats on the ref, nothing else.

And refereeing is something I think in general needs to be improved, with or without VAR
This piece by Graham Poll articulates exactly my thoughts.

VAR has shown us that offside is a black and white matter of fact now... a goalkeeper moving off his line for a penalty surely must be the same
  • Goalkeepers were clearly moving forward off their lines in penalty shootouts
  • Both World Cup last 16 clashes on Sunday saw stoppers break the rules to win
  • The introduction of VAR must be able to ensure this is easily resolved now
  • It is happening so frequently that it seems the law is not being properly applied
A lot of people say that in the Olympics if some athletes are going to take drugs to gain an advantage, then you should allow them all to take drugs.

FIFA seem to be applying the same warped logic to goalkeepers at penalties.

They allow so many to start behind the goal line and jump forward or start on it and advance that it seems the law is not being applied.

I cannot understand how this can be so difficult.

VAR has shown us that offside, once almost impossible to interpret, is a black and white matter of fact now.

A goalkeeper off his line for a penalty surely must be the same.

When 15/19 in shoot-outs have been shown to be off their line it proof that this law is simply being ignored.

I'm sure we will soon be looking more closely at this if England are involved in a shoot-out on Tuesday night.

Its got absolutely nothing to do with offside or VAR.

VAR, in game, helps a ref make a decision on something he may not have seen well enough in real time. Regardless, it is his choice to use it (or not) and his interpretation of the rules.

Penalties are an entirely different situation/context.

Now, if your point is that referees should be better, then 100% I agree and no argument from me.

What any of that has to do with VAR though I just dont know.

Its got absolutely nothing to do with offside or VAR.

VAR, in game, helps a ref make a decision on something he may not have seen well enough in real time. Regardless, it is his choice to use it (or not) and his interpretation of the rules.

Penalties are an entirely different situation/context.

Now, if your point is that referees should be better, then 400% I agree and no argument from me.

What any of that has to do with VAR though I just dont know.
You may be right but it hardly matters. It's the media pressure that will bring about the change. VAR just happens to be their latest tool. It's a much more powerful bulldozer.

Something else that makes no sense to me.

The media "pressure" waxes and wanes, and Im not sure Ive ever seen FIFA pay much attention.

Once the cup is over it will all die down, so what pressure? Really?

i guess you think barrios should stay on the pitch too...

also the response of english tv/media is a joke. double standards - neymar has been vilified for what henderson has done.
Yep, argy bargy, never a thought it was a red but confused how it was a yellow

Back