• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

Is there a method where officials are not involved? That is Var, if officials were good we wouldn't need it as the arguments for bringing it in tended to be to stop obvious errors.

If I didn't know any better I would think they are deliberately trying to sabotage VAR in the EPL.
They the officials are incapable of running the VAR trial at the moment!

I think the VAR guy has given the pen to even up the dubious decision for the first goal and the ref not having it so done son over.

If I didn't know any better I would think they are deliberately trying to sabotage VAR in the EPL.
They the officials are incapable of running the VAR trial at the moment!
Lots of critics in Germany and Italy...and the continental cup.

For me, the first problem was that the referee on the pitch was too much of a pussy to make a single decision for himself. The moment that first VAR call came to overrule his initial judgement was the moment that he decided to second guess every decision he made. It made the first half brick to watch, compounded by the fact that both he and the numpty in the office were incapable of interpreting the laws.

1) When was the first foul on the Lamela goal? For me it was the initial shirt pull on Llorente.
2) Son's pen was ruled out immediately by the ref, not VAR. Son however did not feint in shooting, only in running so again, the ref either interpets the law incorrectly or doesn't know it.

The second half was better, presumably at the behest of the FA or the managers, because it ran smoother then.

Whoever it was that saw footage of the first goal and decided to disallow it needs to not be making a living from football. Llorente was fouled twice, one shirt pull and one kick on the ankle yet it's given against him?

Everything else was fine, just took ages and the refs have lost any degree of resolve and self respect in their own decision making.

Is there a method where officials are not involved? That is Var, if officials were good we wouldn't need it as the arguments for bringing it in tended to be to stop obvious errors.

The officials, on the whole are fine.

We are absolutely going to ruin the game of football with VAR, more so than a call against Spurs now and again.

The first half last night was my favourite buttplug and its not been the first time - Mata's goal/Liverpool game.

Bin it now

The officials, on the whole are fine.

We are absolutely going to ruin the game of football with VAR, more so than a call against Spurs now and again.

The first half last night was my favourite buttplug and its not been the first time - Mata's goal/Liverpool game.

Bin it now
Agreed, for me even if var works well you lose more than you gain. I want to celebrate without waiting 3 minutes.

Clubs should start a breakaway league that doesn't use it

Anyone wanting to continue using VARcical needs to rename their sport Refereeing

For me, the first problem was that the referee on the pitch was too much of a pussy to make a single decision for himself. The moment that first VAR call came to overrule his initial judgement was the moment that he decided to second guess every decision he made. It made the first half brick to watch, compounded by the fact that both he and the numpty in the office were incapable of interpreting the laws.

1) When was the first foul on the Lamela goal? For me it was the initial shirt pull on Llorente.
2) Son's pen was ruled out immediately by the ref, not VAR. Son however did not feint in shooting, only in running so again, the ref either interpets the law incorrectly or doesn't know it.

The second half was better, presumably at the behest of the FA or the managers, because it ran smoother then.

I think all VAR did was highlight how bad refs can be

1. total flimflam, initiated by defender, both players jostling, is the rule "the player who falls down the one that is fouled" - poor ref decision, nothing to do with VAR
2. Son's penalty, really? the rule clearly allows the feint prior to final step, so he makes up some brick about unsportsmanlike behavior?
3. Lucas non call? again, how the fudge can you call Llorente's and not Lucas?

The other thing is .. you can't get a decision in 30 seconds .. move on.

Agreed, for me even if var works well you lose more than you gain. I want to celebrate without waiting 3 minutes.

I’ve been mainly in favour of the VAR concept for certain situations but experiencing it first hand last night has made me think twice, even when it went in our favour with the penalty being awarded. It really does kill the flow and enjoyment of the game. Maybe for some that’s a worthwhile risk if it means the right decisions are made (clearly not the case in at least one decision last night) but I’m not so sure. It needs more trialling and tweaking for sure before it gets adopted. Is it really likely to come into the PL next season?

I’m still not clear on how it works either. I thought the referee makes his decision and then the VAR decides whether to over rule it, or prompt the ref to take a look on the pitchside screen? But reading some of the match thread it seems to be implied that it was the ref himself asking the VAR to check/confirm certain decisions?

its a constant criticism of VAR even where it is relatively successful - not being able to celebrate immediately.

People keep pointing to other sports, notably rugby, where it does work - Football is already better than them, I believe the trend is for people to stop following other sports so I don't see the need to emulate them (and the same issue is there, cant really celebrate the try as they all go to the judge).

The penalty situation was a total farce, it appears that the ref made a wrong call and Son did not commit any offence, but as half the players on the pitch were in the box before he did his faint shouldn't the penalty have been retaken as that "offence" occurred first? Will the booking be rescinded? Chris Foy took the opportunity to demonstate what a tinkle poor ref he was.

The penalty situation was a total farce, it appears that the ref made a wrong call and Son did not commit any offence, but as half the players on the pitch were in the box before he did his faint shouldn't the penalty have been retaken as that "offence" occurred first? Will the booking be rescinded? Chris Foy took the opportunity to demonstate what a tinkle poor ref he was.
Non of the media, not one, has said about them making a mistake on disallowing the pen. Is that definitely the latest rule that we saw posted last night?

We (Spurs) should be all over this to get the yellow rescinded.

its a constant criticism of VAR even where it is relatively successful - not being able to celebrate immediately.

That's it. Being able to celebrate a goal with passion will be lost for ever.

Imagine scoring a last minute cup final winner, then for everyone to have to sit round for 5 minutes while its checked whether a defender picking his nose 10 minutes early was ungentlemanly conduct.

VARcical

What's with the "ungentlemanly conduct"? It's football, not cricket.
If stopping in the run up to a penalty is not permitted (and I'm not suggesting it should be) then just state it clearly in the rules.
What about when goalkeepers jump around trying to distract the penalty taker - isn't that "ungentlemanly"? Again, not saying it's right or wrong, just that the concept of "ungentlemanly" being in the rules seems bizarre to me. And potentially subjective to assess.
Maybe the stadium screens should be reminding fans of the opposing team to respect the penalty taker (something that I find truly weird with rugby).

What's with the "ungentlemanly conduct"? It's football, not cricket.
If stopping in the run up to a penalty is not permitted (and I'm not suggesting it should be) then just state it clearly in the rules.
What about when goalkeepers jump around trying to distract the penalty taker - isn't that "ungentlemanly"? Again, not saying it's right or wrong, just that the concept of "ungentlemanly" being in the rules seems bizarre to me. And potentially subjective to assess.
Maybe the stadium screens should be reminding fans of the opposing team to respect the penalty taker (something that I find truly weird with rugby).
it was the catch all for running to the ball and dummying it, the rule was clarified in 2010 and its not really ungentlemanly anymore but illegal feinting which also gets the yellow. But from all descriptions i see this only comes into play at the end of the run not during it so Son didn't do it. ---I cant beleive how much time I spent last night trying to work out what the fudge was going on.

Back