• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

Fifa should learn from community football where football is played all the time without refs. Ball contacting anything below elbow is handball is clear and fair. So is boot contacting and impeding players progress. Var can then be redeployed to look out for cheats.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Quiet'ish but interesting weekend for VAR.

Fernandes's third goal would have been "clearly" offside based on last years lines etc. This one I am not too bothered about, I'd rather this than the fractional offsides, until it happens against of of course.

I still can't see how the penalty for West Ham stood...

Burnley's opener was the clearest two handed push you'll ever see in your life and the goal stood.

So basically they're just backing the refs even more now and you can be a tiny bit offside.

Last edited:
Quiet'ish but interesting weekend for VAR.

Fernandes's third goal would have been "clearly" offside based on last years lines etc. This one I am not too bothered about, I'd rather this than the fractional offsides, until it happens against of of course.

I still can't see how the penalty for West Ham stood...

Burnley's opener was the clearest two handed push you'll ever see in your life and the goal stood.

So basically they're just backing the refs even more now and you can be a tiny bit offside.
Twas a bit weird.
At the end of the day you don't want goals or penalties being awarded when they shouldn't.

I think VAR should be light touch BUT maybe we'll end up with each coach having two challenges or something just to protect a team from suffering a miscall or blatant subjective failing.(like the two you mention)

Twas a bit weird.
At the end of the day you don't want goals or penalties being awarded when they shouldn't.

I think VAR should be light touch BUT maybe we'll end up with each coach having two challenges or something just to protect a team from suffering a miscall or blatant subjective failing.(like the two you mention)

I don't like the challenge idea personally but could see it happening, if VAR stays like this I don't think many managers will be winning with their challenges.

Think Bruce was right when he said that the ref should have looked at the monitor for West Ham's penalty, I can't for the life of me see how with all the camera angles they get VAR couldn't see he got the ball first?!

I’m against the changes, why have laws if they are not to be enforced?

Inconsistent officiating destroys the integrity of the competition.

Good to see some sense coming back into the game, not having VAR stopping the game for every incident and then usually making stupid decisions is a step back to exciting games again.

I don't like the challenge idea personally but could see it happening, if VAR stays like this I don't think many managers will be winning with their challenges.

Think Bruce was right when he said that the ref should have looked at the monitor for West Ham's penalty, I can't for the life of me see how with all the camera angles they get VAR couldn't see he got the ball first?!
No I'm not keen on challenges either BUT as surely the incident you mention in your second paragraph illustrates, you can force the official to at least have a good second look. If he then still gets it wrong, well what can you do?

It's just that rare time when you think they have missef something or you blatantly think they're not thinking straight. I believe they wouldn't be used that often.

No I'm not keen on challenges either BUT as surely the incident you mention in your second paragraph illustrates, you can force the official to at least have a good second look. If he then still gets it wrong, well what can you do?

It's just that rare time when you think they have missef something or you blatantly think they're not thinking straight. I believe they wouldn't be used that often.

If the challenge is to make the ref go to the monitor then I think that's actually a good idea, didn't think of it that way tbh.

I suppose that would matter to those in power if they had brought VAR in to improve the game for supporters, however it was not its all about making money for those who invented it.
I don't think it was anything to do with making money for anyone. I think the intention here is the right one, to ensure that refereeing mistakes do not decide games. The implementation simply hasn't been as good as it could be. I think things have improved somewhat since last season and within a few more years things will likely work very well (probably with rugby style commentary from the ref and the video assistant that the crowd will be able to hear that I think works very well in rugby).

Last edited:
I don't think it was anything to do with making money for anyone. I think the intention here is the right one, to ensure that refereeing mistakes do not decide games. The implementation simply hasn't been as good as it could be. I think things have improved somewhat since last season and within a few more years things will likely work very well (probably with rugby style commentary from the ref and the video assistant that the crows will be able to hear that I think works very well in rugby).

Constantly changing the "implementation" is just a get out clause for all the fudge ups.
And until we can hear the deliberation live thats is all it will be.

E_k9DB6XIAE5-Zn

jkr__hwf

I wonder if the two referees would have been so eager to change their minds if the penalties had been given to City and Arsenal instead.

Back