• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

I think if implemented properly it will mean the results will be fairer which I think is essential. Too many football games have been won by the wrong team due to bad refereeing. That is still the case but the tech can only reduce the amount of those IMO. Just like DRS in cricket it will evolve in to something which enhances the game. It just needs time.

In the history of football its an extremely rare thing where the best teams haven't the trophies and league titles and match to match the 2.2% of mistakes are on poar with managerial an player mistakes which we know all too well from last weeks game.

If humans are using the system there will always be mistakes.

Which law, and how?

Level of contact to constitute a foul is subjective. If the force was a foul is subjective

There are decisions in the game where a ref will decide if a foul is a foul or not, its probably the biggest amount of the game based on contact. Based on that I would rather the ref be left to make the decision based on their discretion.

You look now we are getting VAR decisions that are being debated because the decision is subjective, whats the point in stopping a game for something that is not fact.

As I posted there are even factual mistakes which have been made by refs which are overturned....

Its just a mess and if thats the people or the fine tuning or the implementation it all adds up to the same thing...a mess

Last edited:
Level of contact to constitute a foul is subjective. If the force was a foul is subjective

There are decisions in the game where a ref will decide if a foul is a foul or not, its probably the biggest amount of the game based on contact. Based on that I would rather the ref be left to make the decision based on their discretion.

You look now we are getting VAR decisions that are being debated because the decision is subjective, whats the point in stopping a game for something that is not fact.

As I posted there are even factual mistakes which have been made by refs which are overturned....

Its just a mess and if thats the people or the fine tuning or the implementation it all adds up to the same thing...a mess

thats not what the laws say

I agree it’s a mess, too many referee’s don’t know the rules and/or what words mean

thats not what the laws say

I agree it’s a mess, too many referee’s don’t know the rules and/or what words mean

I am not sure how you mean, referees have to decide on many occasions what level of force is a foul or if the player has gone down easily and I am not talking a dive. Or when a player goes up for a header which throws up many subjective decisions, has the striker backed in, has the striker climbed all over him.

Refs on the pitch were never that bad for the game to need this, nowhere near

I love this and it sums it up for me

Football has always been a subjective game. It is an entirely human endeavor and therefore, flawed and sometimes unfair, but beautiful nonetheless. It is like life in this sense and if you’re going to make it as a supporter of any team in the sport, you’re going to have swallow a heavy dose of tough luck every now and again. We’ve certainly had our share in recent years.

But VAR, for some, has offered an alternate reality in which this is not the case. In theory, it’s a reality where everything is fair, and all the injustices can be undone with a bit of careful reflection by people with the power to right crucial wrongs

In theory, if you are the left brained person, you most likely want VAR and think it’s important for the game to be fair, the calls made and the rules that govern it precise. Decisions are black and white for you and errors in referee decision-making are a problem to be solved.

You have little sympathy for the nuances of play that lead to the calls, or for the human beings that make them. You recognize that the game is so entertaining that you’re willing to give up sunny afternoons and Saturday morning sleep-ins to watch it, but you want the laws of the game to prevail on a given day. This characterization is not to belittle that point of view or position. Quite the contrary, it’s a luxury we enjoy all this coverage and when you’re handing over loads of your time for it, I don’t blame you for wanting to not feel ripped off at the end of it.

But what do you want from all these hours of watching footy? Do you want memories? Celebrations? Redemption? Catharsis? Or something else?

On the other hand, you have the right brained crowd. These are typically considered to be the creatives, they love the nuance, the drama, the stories that come from controversy and perceived injustices. Their joy is found in the fluidity of the game, it’s beautiful imperfections. Damn the fine lines, the margins that call a chest hair offside and punish players for simply having hands.

I am not sure how you mean, referees have to decide on many occasions what level of force is a foul or if the player has gone down easily and I am not talking a dive. Or when a player goes up for a header which throws up many subjective decisions, has the striker backed in, has the striker climbed all over him.

Refs on the pitch were never that bad for the game to need this, nowhere near

all of those things are objective, they are supposed to be calculating whether or not force exerted was equivalent to effect change against opposing forces and the mass involved

similarly offside, it’s just maths

if the game has moved beyond the human eye’s ability to calculate then we need the employ superior technology

I love this and it sums it up for me

Football has always been a subjective game. It is an entirely human endeavor and therefore, flawed and sometimes unfair, but beautiful nonetheless. It is like life in this sense and if you’re going to make it as a supporter of any team in the sport, you’re going to have swallow a heavy dose of tough luck every now and again. We’ve certainly had our share in recent years.

But VAR, for some, has offered an alternate reality in which this is not the case. In theory, it’s a reality where everything is fair, and all the injustices can be undone with a bit of careful reflection by people with the power to right crucial wrongs

In theory, if you are the left brained person, you most likely want VAR and think it’s important for the game to be fair, the calls made and the rules that govern it precise. Decisions are black and white for you and errors in referee decision-making are a problem to be solved.

You have little sympathy for the nuances of play that lead to the calls, or for the human beings that make them. You recognize that the game is so entertaining that you’re willing to give up sunny afternoons and Saturday morning sleep-ins to watch it, but you want the laws of the game to prevail on a given day. This characterization is not to belittle that point of view or position. Quite the contrary, it’s a luxury we enjoy all this coverage and when you’re handing over loads of your time for it, I don’t blame you for wanting to not feel ripped off at the end of it.

But what do you want from all these hours of watching footy? Do you want memories? Celebrations? Redemption? Catharsis? Or something else?

On the other hand, you have the right brained crowd. These are typically considered to be the creatives, they love the nuance, the drama, the stories that come from controversy and perceived injustices. Their joy is found in the fluidity of the game, it’s beautiful imperfections. Damn the fine lines, the margins that call a chest hair offside and punish players for simply having hands.

sums it up for me too, it’s something to be perfected

The main problem at the moment isn't VAR itself, it's the poor standard of refereeing in general. Throw on top of this the constantly changing laws and how they are interpreted and there are going to be mistakes. VAR is the easy target of wrong decisions. The referee behind those decisions or the stupid rule changes doesn't get questioned now, instead, we get "it's VAR innit".

Bin it
EmOxQljXUAEM_C0

It’s been half way down the arm all season though
View attachment 9908

So you cant point to where you want the ball?

Come on now lets not be silly here, he is pointing where he wants the ball, if you cant do that at risk of breaking the so called rules then the game has gone, I dont care if its VAR the rules, how they are applied or whatever you want to call it, this is becoming my favourite buttplug far greater than before VAR existed

Back