• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

Disagree that VAR has improved decision making.Quite the contrary, it has made it worse, if only because of (1) the ludicrous delay, especially after a goal has been scored and (2) the sheer number of high-profile mistakes that are even more grotesque given the technology they've used when the world and his wife can see how wrong they got it.

But to come back to the way the VAR is implementing the offside rule, something you have insisted you are totally comfortable with. I can only assume that for you the game is no longer about entertainment. We never had these decisions scrutinised down to milimeters before the VAR and there is no need for them to be now.

We need to see the bigger picture. The slide rule approach should be abolished. The VAR needs to take a quick look to see whether there was enough advantage to the attacker to disallow the goal, something he should be allowed to use his judgment on. Remember in every game there are dozens of other infringements eg pushing, grabbing, stamping and other incidents that go totally ignored/unpunished. Even throw-ins, how often do we see them taken ten, fifteen, even twenty yards from where the ball went out of play yet no one bats an eyelid. Contrast that with the obsession over offsides and you realise just how far we have ventured into Lewis Carroll territory.

It's totally farcical and is making football a complete turn-off.

We need to just sort this silly new handball rule out, keep speeding it up, There is no need to throw the baby out with bath water, VAR is fine and going nowhere.

We need to just sort this silly new handball rule out, keep speeding it up, There is no need to throw the baby out with bath water, VAR is fine and going nowhere.
Agree, like it or not, VAR is going nowhere, but at present its a long way from being fine.

Whatever happened to 'clear and obvious' ?

It's one thing to concede a last minute penalty through a deliberate handball but quite another to endure deeply farcical decisions like that one.

Apparently it was because in the new rules it’s only a handball off an attacker if it’s intentional, or if it directly leads to the goal. From that one the defender cleared it, all be it badly so it wasn’t direct to the goal
What a VARce these new rules are!

So attackers can get away with handball so long as it doesn’t directly lead to a goal but a penalty will be awarded if a defender touches ball with arms that aren’t pinned to their sides in the area at any time?

If this kind of nonsense carries on for much longer then after 67 years of watching Tottenham I too will be out.

I feel the same, albeit with only 35 years under my belt.

In days gone by, I’d be looking forward to watching the Liverpool gooner match later but I just can’t be bothered knowing there’s a strong chance it will be decided by a decision punishing a defender for having the temerity of owning arms

What a VARce these new rules are!

So attackers can get away with handball so long as it doesn’t directly lead to a goal but a penalty will be awarded if a defender touches ball with arms that aren’t pinned to their sides in the area at any time?

further evidence of footballs inexplicable obsession with goals

We had an attacking move straight from the Dier handball incident, while the VAR retrieved his thumb from his arse and before the ref blew for the VAR review. What would have happened if we had scored during this time?

Back