• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

This whole post in a nutshell is how I feel about VAR
It's a clear mistake by the ref, VAR will sort it, and then no
I'm sure I heard something about Fifa taking it over for next year

That would be a much better idea. Have a VAR central of sorts, somewhere in Europe, with a big group of independent referees from different European countries to conduct VAR checks on all games in the major leagues.

Let the big decisions - maybe all - be subject a panel of several referees, not just one guy with ties to the country, clubs and other referees involved. Perhaps require an autonomous decision from the VAR refs for big decisions like red cards, penalties and disallowed goals, or simply a majority decision/autonomous decision in all cases. Also: Give the VAR refs complete authority to overrule the on field refs if an error has been made.

Aim for consistency - review "similar" incidents to make sure VAR decisions are fair for all (ulike the penalty shambles from Thursday). Be open - make explanations for decisions public as soon as possible. Broadcast VAR panel discussions in real time, and make them accessible after games. Demand accountability from the VAR panel - if big errors occur, there should be consequences. Set a time limit for decisions - if 3-5 refs can't spot a clear and obvious error in, say, 20 seconds, let the original decision stand.

It really shouldn't be that hard to set up a system that works infinitely better than Michael Oliver behind a TV screen.

That would be a much better idea. Have a VAR central of sorts, somewhere in Europe, with a big group of independent referees from different European countries to conduct VAR checks on all games in the major leagues.

Let the big decisions - maybe all - be subject a panel of several referees, not just one guy with ties to the country, clubs and other referees involved. Perhaps require an autonomous decision from the VAR refs for big decisions like red cards, penalties and disallowed goals, or simply a majority decision/autonomous decision in all cases. Also: Give the VAR refs complete authority to overrule the on field refs if an error has been made.

Aim for consistency - review "similar" incidents to make sure VAR decisions are fair for all (ulike the penalty shambles from Thursday). Be open - make explanations for decisions public as soon as possible. Broadcast VAR panel discussions in real time, and make them accessible after games. Demand accountability from the VAR panel - if big errors occur, there should be consequences. Set a time limit for decisions - if 3-5 refs can't spot a clear and obvious error in, say, 20 seconds, let the original decision stand.

It really shouldn't be that hard to set up a system that works infinitely better than Michael Oliver behind a TV screen.

FIFA are taking over VAR implementation from IFAB who currently oversee it. I haven't seen anything about taking the VAR role away from the national leagues though.
One thing we might see more of perhaps is the refs checking the pitchside monitor - at least that is what Collina (head of Referees at FIFA) suggests :

Collina, Fifa's referees' chief, has called for consistency in the use of VAR all over the world.
"If you belong to a team, you always try to protect your team-mates," said the 60-year-old Italian.
"If your team-mate made a mistake, you try to find everything to say 'no, no, no, he was correct'."

Fifa has taken over the implementation of VAR from the game's law-making body the International Football Association Board.
Collina warned of a "sort of wrong idea of solidarity" and wants referees to use pitchside monitors to review decisions.
"It's a sort of friendship I would say," he told the World Football Summit.

"Referees must understand the solidarity and the friendship that they want to show is to tell their colleague, 'Be careful, you might have made a mistake - it's better that you have another chance watching the incident on a monitor, you have assessed probably wrongly,' so that finally you can avoid a mistake."

Solidarity and friendship with your referere colleagues should have nothing to do with the implementation of VAR. Emphasise that, and you're asking for trouble.

The only thing they should be concerned about is a proper, consistent enforcement of the rules of the game.

Solidarity and friendship with your referere colleagues should have nothing to do with the implementation of VAR. Emphasise that, and you're asking for trouble.

The only thing they should be concerned about is a proper, consistent enforcement of the rules of the game.
I didn't read that as cover your colleagues' arse at all costs, I read it as give your colleague a chance to correct his own wrong decision, rather than just tell him 'you're wrong'? I think his use of words is confusing though.

I didn't read that as cover your colleagues' arse at all costs, I read it as give your colleague a chance to correct his own wrong decision, rather than just tell him 'you're wrong'? I think his use of words is confusing though.

Fair point, I might be reading it a bit too negatively. I still think that whole TV on the halfway line is a bad idea - it's just unneccesary time wasting, causing breaks in the game. Let VAR refs do their thing independently, while the in game refs wait until after the game to learn from their mistakes.

From what's been said about FIFA taking over running VAR it means that FA and EPL will have to implement it the same way it has been elsewhere.
That'll mean that refs will have to start using the monitors and review replays themselves instead of the current situation.
The main problem with VAR for me has been refs not using the monitors and their buddies being afraid to overturn the decision on the pitch whether it is right or wrong.
Hopefully, refs will be more willing to overturn their own decisions than the current VAR refs do.

From what's been said about FIFA taking over running VAR it means that FA and EPL will have to implement it the same way it has been elsewhere.
That'll mean that refs will have to start using the monitors and review replays themselves instead of the current situation.
The main problem with VAR for me has been refs not using the monitors and their buddies being afraid to overturn the decision on the pitch whether it is right or wrong.
Hopefully, refs will be more willing to overturn their own decisions than the current VAR refs do.
Call me a cynic but most decisions are subject to interpretation. You can always find something to back up your original mistake.

So, the only thing that will change is that it will take even longer for the officials to confirm their original wrong decision.

It’s just poor all round, there isn’t much of a saving grace for it.

let’s just accept that refs make mistakes, no need to highlight it by showing that after an in game advert break And then getting it wrong again

The VAR system does work the problem is the interpretation of the rules and poor decision making by the same mugs who are on the pitch, I feel sure there is a reluctance in the man making the call turning over his mates error.
There doesnt seem to be any trust or respect between players and refs which doesnt help the situation but there again there are very few players I respect and virtually no refs.

It’s just poor all round, there isn’t much of a saving grace for it.

let’s just accept that refs make mistakes, no need to highlight it by showing that after an in game advert break And then getting it wrong again

Thank GHod most supporters are begining to accept its a fudge up and should be scrapped. Will the powers that be do the right thing? sadly i think not.

The VAR system does work the problem is the interpretation of the rules and poor decision making by the same mugs who are on the pitch, I feel sure there is a reluctance in the man making the call turning over his mates error.
There doesnt seem to be any trust or respect between players and refs which doesnt help the situation but there again there are very few players I respect and virtually no refs.

the problem is that the men behind the TV screens are part of the system. If they don’t work correctly and mistakes are made it’s as bad a an issue with the feed

Back