• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Annual Tottenham Hotspur Striker Search: January 2015 Edition

By we, you mean the supporters with unreasonably high expectations?

No, I mean Spurs - as I suspect you well know. We have failed to adequately strengthen in several January windows several times and every time it has come back to bite us. We so obviously need a quality striker, just as we did a few years ago when we were sitting pretty in third and also in the Champions League. We bought in Saha ffs. We have been in a downward spiral ever since.

I agree Pirate, we are well placed, it's certainly a window of opportunity. We've seen what a handful of points can do before, the right buy now could conceivably add another 8/9 over the final four months.

I agree Pirate, we are well placed, it's certainly a window of opportunity. We've seen what a handful of points can do before, the right buy now could conceivably add another 8/9 over the final four months.

Precisely. It's all about momentum. We are too heavily reliant on Kane, Eriksen and Chadli. A fresh player puts a spring in everyone's step. Just a few extra goals and points could make all the difference between success and failure.

no point signing players right now just for the sake of it as it will exasperate the problem further. If our genuine top priority targets are available this window and there is room in the squad im sure we'll try and get a deal done but there's no point in adding to a squad already bursting at the seams.

kinda comes back round to patience - a sniff of top 4 and everyone's throwing away the idea of developing the players here and getting the managers ideas across. now it's all : we need to sign a player who is going to get us the points RIGHT NOW!

I think a lot is still dependant on our out-goings; The Naughton deal seems to have been on the go for a while. Perhaps it was always going to be announced near the end of the window (to not make them look like moneybags post the Bony cash injection) but maybe they've brought it forward so that there is a better atmosphere at the club after the Chelski mauling.

If another key player goes out (say like Lennon or Soldado) I would expect a few more rumours of an attacking player coming in will surface.

In fact, the matchday weekend of the 31st January may be key, as VERY poor results for some of those in the relegation scrap might make them push the panic button and speeddial Mr Levy....then the wheels start moving...

no point signing players right now just for the sake of it as it will exasperate the problem further. If our genuine top priority targets are available this window and there is room in the squad im sure we'll try and get a deal done but there's no point in adding to a squad already bursting at the seams.

kinda comes back round to patience - a sniff of top 4 and everyone's throwing away the idea of developing the players here and getting the managers ideas across. now it's all : we need to sign a player who is going to get us the points RIGHT NOW!

The same sentiment/excuse can be used at any time for any player. The opportunity to achieve something does not necessarily rely on patience. It is all about carpe diem (seize the day). Just like when we blew it with Saha, I for one don't want to say "told you so" when our season disintegrates and we end up as also rans...again.

The same sentiment/excuse can be used at any time for any player. The opportunity to achieve something does not necessarily rely on patience. It is all about carpe diem (seize the day). Just like when we blew it with Saha, I for one don't want to say "told you so" when our season disintegrates and we end up as also rans...again.
Other than Bony there have not been a lot of strikers of the kind of quality that we require changing clubs. All clubs are quiet, it is not just us, so it is not as if we are falling behind our rivals.

Also, when the season started few would have thought that Kane would be first choice by Christmas and one of the best strikers in the league, so arguably we are already one striker up.

Other than Bony there have not been a lot of strikers of the kind of quality that we require changing clubs. All clubs are quiet, it is not just us, so it is not as if we are falling behind our rivals.

Also, when the season started few would have thought that Kane would be first choice by Christmas and one of the best strikers in the league, so arguably we are already one striker up.

I agree. But that makes just one CF! We are painfully short on quality up there - as tonight once again proved. Two attempts on target ( one a free kick and one a penalty) against a League One side ffs

I agree. But that makes just one CF! We are painfully short on quality up there - as tonight once again proved. Two attempts on target ( one a free kick and one a penalty) against a League One side ffs

Would you be in favour of signing a striker that did not meet our long term needs in January at the expense one who did in the summer?

Saha was a good signing at the time. He added an extra body to the squad and it started off so well. If our top targets aren't attainable, that's the kind of player we might look at. There is absolutely no point in signing someone that isn't brought in for the long term, just so we've signed someone.

Would you be in favour of signing a striker that did not meet our long term needs in January at the expense one who did in the summer?

No, of course not. But none of us knows who our "real" targets are. What I am saying, is if we have a target identified for this position, we need to get him in now and not wait.

No, of course not. But none of us knows who our "real" targets are. What I am saying, is if we have a target identified for this position, we need to get him in now and not wait.

mitchell knows and will have tons of videos and stats to back that up. at least that's what i'm led to believe.

Saha was a good signing at the time. He added an extra body to the squad and it started off so well. If our top targets aren't attainable, that's the kind of player we might look at. There is absolutely no point in signing someone that isn't brought in for the long term, just so we've signed someone.

Isn't that a contradiction :-k

What makes you think it will be any easier in the summer?

Because much more transfer business happens in the summer. Because many more players are out of contract in the summer. Because clubs don't add a "January transfer window" premium onto their prices in the summer. Because we have far more time to make things happen.

I'm sure I could go on but if I can post that many reasons without thinking that's enough for me.

Isn't that a contradiction :-k

Signing someone on a 6-month deal isn't a problem if they're just a backup. Signing someone on a 4-year contract is, unless they're someone we really wanted anyway and we could get without overpaying.

Back