• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The all new Striker thread..

There's no striker we can realistically buy that I would like to be brought on for Kane no matter how much we're struggling to change the game.

As Chadli showed last time around there are a lot of ways to change things around going forward without putting on another striker. But if we do want someone alongside Kane we also have that option.

But, (knock on wood), if we have to do without Kane for an extended period of time - we're without the physical option up front as well. How then we do force opponent to change their tactics and style?

We don't play physical then
Play fast and one touch which is where IMO ee look at our best

Kane does some great physical work and he is a big guy but that's only a portion of his game

If he isn't available we play the same way but lose some of that. It's understandable if you lose your number 1 striker IMO to have someone who isnt as good otherwise they would be number 1

Tottenham have rejected the chance to sign Fernando Torres in the final days of the January window, Football Insider sources understand.

The former Liverpool and Chelsea striker has been offered to Mauricio Pochettino but the Spurs manager has declined the opportunity to make a move.

Spurs are still in the market for a front man despite finalising a move for Fulham striker Moussa Dembele on Saturday.

But they will not be signing Torres, who has been on the fringes of boyhood club Atletico Madrid for most of this season.

The 31-year-old returned to Atletico on loan from AC Milan in January 2015 but the Spain international has made over half his La Liga and Champions League appearances this season as a substitute.

Torres is out of contract in the summer and Atletico manager Diego Simeone has been evasive when asked about whether he would like the player to extend his stay in Madrid.

The Spaniard’s stock has dramatically fallen since he joined Chelsea from Liverpool for £50million five years ago, when he was one of the most feared front men in the world.

He has scored just two goals in 24 Atletico matches this season and is surplus to requirements under Simeone, with Antoine Griezmann and Jackson Martinez above him in the pecking order.

http://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-tottenham-reject-fernando-torres/

Tottenham have rejected the chance to sign Fernando Torres in the final days of the January window, Football Insider sources understand.

The former Liverpool and Chelsea striker has been offered to Mauricio Pochettino but the Spurs manager has declined the opportunity to make a move.

Spurs are still in the market for a front man despite finalising a move for Fulham striker Moussa Dembele on Saturday.

But they will not be signing Torres, who has been on the fringes of boyhood club Atletico Madrid for most of this season.

The 31-year-old returned to Atletico on loan from AC Milan in January 2015 but the Spain international has made over half his La Liga and Champions League appearances this season as a substitute.

Torres is out of contract in the summer and Atletico manager Diego Simeone has been evasive when asked about whether he would like the player to extend his stay in Madrid.

The Spaniard’s stock has dramatically fallen since he joined Chelsea from Liverpool for £50million five years ago, when he was one of the most feared front men in the world.

He has scored just two goals in 24 Atletico matches this season and is surplus to requirements under Simeone, with Antoine Griezmann and Jackson Martinez above him in the pecking order.

http://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-tottenham-reject-fernando-torres/
I hear we're also linked with Soldado. :confused:

I'm resigned to the fact that we won't sign anyone :( I don't agree with the club's strategy in this regard, it has bitten us on the bum so often in recent seasons I can't quite fathom that someone at the club hasn't realised this. I'm not expecting the us to sign a 30m striker, but I would have thought we could have identified at least 1 striker in world football who suits Poch's system and is gettable.

I hope for our sake that Harry Kane isn't injured between now and May.

I'm resigned to the fact that we won't sign anyone :( I don't agree with the club's strategy in this regard, it has bitten us on the bum so often in recent seasons I can't quite fathom that someone at the club hasn't realised this. I'm not expecting the us to sign a 30m striker, but I would have thought we could have identified at least 1 striker in world football who suits Poch's system and is gettable.

You just know he'll damage himself against Norwich on Tuesday now.

Wasn't this the complaint at the close of the summer window? We haven't done too shabby since then, so why do you think it's going to be any different this time around?

Wasn't this the complaint at the close of the summer window? We haven't done too shabby since then, so why do you think it's going to be any different this time around?

What is to stop Kane getting injured like Vertonghen against Palace for example? If Kane is injured, who is going to play up front? 3 seasons ago, Ade was at the ACN, then Defoe gets injured in the first half of the first game after the January window closed. I'm not a clairvoyant, but I don't want the same thing to happen again. With the league being so open, it would be crazy to persist with only striker. Even if you disregard injuries, it wouldn't hurt us to have some variety in that position e.g. someone with pace for example.

But you have to sign the right player Jurgen.
No point in the likes of Torres coming in
And anyone else is ££££
So that leaves looking for the bargains and the potential - and they need the right attitude.
It's a small pool.

What is to stop Kane getting injured like Vertonghen against Palace for example? If Kane is injured, who is going to play up front? 3 seasons ago, Ade was at the ACN, then Defoe gets injured in the first half of the first game after the January window closed. I'm not a clairvoyant, but I don't want the same thing to happen again. With the league being so open, it would be crazy to persist with only striker. Even if you disregard injuries, it wouldn't hurt us to have some variety in that position e.g. someone with pace for example.

I agree with you 100%. We have been here before not just once but twice. The season we were sitting comfortably third in January and signed Saha and Neilsen. I think it was the mind the gap season.

I for one don't want to see it happen for a third time. It shows we have learned nothing.

I agree with you 100%. We have been here before not just once but twice. The season we were sitting comfortably third in January and signed Saha and Neilsen. I think it was the mind the gap season.

I for one don't want to see it happen for a third time. It shows we have learned nothing.

It won't.happen again as we have a manager that doesn't rely on new signings to get him out of a tight spot

It won't.happen again as we have a manager that doesn't rely on new signings to get him out of a tight spot

Its not a tight spot. Our pursuit of Berahino on the last day of the summer window surely proves Poch thinks we need strengthening in this area. It is perverse to think otherwise.

Its not a tight spot. Our pursuit of Berahino on the last day of the summer window surely proves Poch thinks we need strengthening in this area. It is perverse to think otherwise.

Of course, however he actually said at the same time that he's happy with N'jie and Son as options to cover Kane and iirc he actually said something along the lines of it being wrong for people to say we have no cover.

So whilst I think the manager wants another forward player in around the first team - I don't think he sees it as such a pressing concern as some of our supporters.

I think @billyiddo put it best: completely different manager this time around. Plus the way we play allows us to be effective without an out-and-out striker. From what I can remember this season, we didn't exactly struggle to score when Kane wasn't in the side and I would argue we played some of our best attacking football in the game against Monaco where he didn't feature for a single minute. So no need to panic imo.

How about "the past is not always a predictor of the future?"

Following that logic, one could argue that no signings are ever really necessary, because we could just stick an existing player in a hole and see how it works. Rose in at goalie, for example.

After all, the past is not always a predictor of the future, and who knows how he'll perform at that position? If Kane gets injured, and Son and Chadli fail to fill the gaps, let's not buy anyone until we've cycled every player through the ST position (Lloris, Vorm, and McGee included), because the past isn't a predictor of the future and you can't write them off without trying them there first. :p

Come on, not signing a striker in this critical window is going to cause a lot of justifiable grief. I don't blame anyone for attempting to rationalize it.

I think @billyiddo put it best: completely different manager this time around. Plus the way we play allows us to be effective without an out-and-out striker. From what I can remember this season, we didn't exactly struggle to score when Kane wasn't in the side and I would argue we played some of our best attacking football in the game against Monaco where he didn't feature for a single minute. So no need to panic imo.

It's one thing someone like Son or Chadli filling in for a game or two, it's a completely different scenario if they had to fill Kane's shoes for nearly half a season. I don't doubt that Chadli could effectively cover for a handful games, but me personally, I would prefer a striker to fill in.

Back