• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The all new Juniors/on-loan thread 2013/14

Spurs 4-5 Villa U18s - report from the Training Centre

Our Under-18s shared nine goals with Aston Villa as both sides gave run-outs to a handful of up-and-coming players at the Training Centre on Tuesday evening.

We twice came back from two-goal deficits, before the dismissal of Channing Campbell-Young for bringing down Villa dangerman Rushian Hepburn-Murphy as the last man gave the visitors a numerical benefit.

Hepburn-Murphy then ensured the scoreline reflected that advantage when he fired home Villa’s fifth goal mid-way through the second half.

Both sides chose to field a number of younger players, in our case further exposing them to Under-18s football ahead of next season.

The game exploded into life when Henry Cowans played Harry McKirdy in down the left and the Villa midfielder lashed high into the net to put his side in front within a minute of kick-off.

The match proceeded to continue along similar lines, both sides enjoying plentiful chances while learning defensive lessons at the other end.

Ryan Loft slid in to meet Anthony Georgiou’s ball in from close to the left byline but could only find the side-netting, before Villa doubled their lead when McKirdy chipped stranded goalkeeper Liam Priestley and Callum O’Hare bundled home at the back post with 10 minutes gone.

Undeterred, we pressed forward and pulled a goal back fine minutes later when Loft strode through the midfield and worked himself into a shooting position before confidently smashing the ball across goalkeeper Charlie Banister and into the net.

Kevin Toner craned a header towards goal from Cowans’ corner but could only find the roof of the net – but the goals continued to come at five-minute intervals as Georgiou met Charlie Hayford’s deep cross with a neat left-footed volley that sailed past Bannister and into the net to bring us back on level terms.

Charlie Owens fired over the top, while Joe Muscatt embarked on a weaving run that ended with Bannister making a low save as we continued to grow into the contest heading into the half-time interval.

We came to rue those missed chances, however, as the second half began in similar fashion to the first, with Villa opening up another two-goal advantage.

First it was Toner who rose highest in the box to power in a header from Cowans’ corner on 48 minutes after Priestley had tipped McKirdy’s 30-yard effort over the bar.

It was 4-2 five minutes later when Hepburn-Murphy seized on the loose ball after Anton Walkes’ square pass to Campbell-Young never reached its destination, the Villa striker surging forward and gratefully thumping home.

We reduced the arrears within a minute when Muscatt expertly flicked the ball into the path of Georgiou on the left, the winger racing to the byline before crossing for Cy Goddard to sweep home from a central position.

And just before the hour mark it was all square once again as Chris Paul pounced on a defensive slip by Ryan Strain to fire low into the net.

We were reduced to 10 men within a minute as the referee showed Campbell-Young a straight red card when he was adjudged to have brought down the onrushing Hepburn-Murphy as the last man.

The latter forced Priestley to save with his legs after tricking his way into a shooting position soon afterwards – and it was the same player who was there again to run through the middle and slot home Villa’s fifth goal with 68 minutes on the watch.

Substitute Armani Daly forced Bannister to palm away his fierce shot as we sought another equaliser, while Priestley did well to deal with another blistering run from Hepburn-Murphy, eventually deflecting the striker’s shot away for a corner with his left leg after first forcing him wide.

Goddard lofted a speculative effort just over the bar from wide on the left, before Priestley made another low stop to deny Hepburn-Murphy as both sides traded chances in the closing stages.

But it was Villa who saw out the game to take the three points from what was our Under-18s’ final domestic outing before Sunday’s play-off semi-final at Everton.

Spurs:

Priestley, Paul, Muscatt (Amos 63), Owens (Stylianides 70), Campbell-Young, Walkes, Hayford, Goddard, Loft, Ross, Georgiou (Daly 70).

Substitute (not used): Voss (GK).

Josh Onomah is in the starting line-up for England U17s against Malta at the UEFA European Championship today, KO 5pm on Eurosport 2.

what's up with Tom Carroll not getting a look at QPR? Anybody know anything about his situation there with 'Arry??

Everton U18s vs Spurs - John's preview

A ‘very good youth game’ is in prospect at Goodison Park as we get set to do battle with Everton in the Barclays Under-18 Premier League play-offs this weekend.

That’s according to Academy Manager John McDermott, whose side will be hoping to see off the challenge of the Toffees in Sunday’s semi-final – with a place in the overall final against Emirates Marketing Project at stake.

It’s already been a great season for our youngsters, who won the league’s southern division by six points.

But, after last month’s 2-2 draw with Everton, John fully expects a difficult test as our Under-18s look to round off the campaign with a flourish.

“I thought Everton were a high quality side when we played them a couple of weeks ago,” John said. “They tried to wrestle the momentum from us and impose their possession game while we tried to impose our possession game on them.

“I would expect a very good youth game that’s highly technical and tactical. I’m sure the players will want to put the icing on the cake for the end of the season.”

John has been pleased with the lads’ work in the build-up to the game – although playing on a Sunday, rather than the usual Saturday, means the schedule has been slightly different.

“We played Aston Villa earlier this week but it’s been more or less a typical build-up,” he added. “What’s slightly different is that we’re playing on a Sunday so it means we’re a bit out of sync with what we normally do but that’s the same for both sides.

“We’re travelling up on Saturday after a light training session and then we’ll go across to Goodison Park on Sunday afternoon.

“We’ve now got a fantastic opportunity to play in a Premier League stadium and the boys will want to showcase what they can do on a big stage.”

Kick-off on Sunday is at 5.30pm

LONG-term loans are still part of the plans of Torquay United manager Chris Hargreaves, who said he would like to re-sign three of last season’s top performers.

Despite criticism from a section of supporters about the reliance on loan signings, prospects including Shamir Goodwin, Shaquile Coulthirst and Baily Cargill were among the top performers by the end of the campaign.

Hargreaves has added a caveat that he would prefer his squad to be predominantly made up of permanent signings, saying he would want the first 18 players to his ‘own lads’.

But he is equally unafraid of making longer-term loan signings – ideally season-long deals – and would re-sign Goodwin, Coulthirst and Cargill if they were available.

“We were the platform for a lot of those lads to go on and do well,” Hargreaves told the club’s website.

“I gave Shamir [Goodwin], Shaq [Coulthirst] and Baily [Cargill] a chance to play in League Two, and I’ll still be trying [to recruit them] for next season.

“I’ve spoken to people at Brighton and Tottenham to see if there are any more bright sparks available.

“We have to be looking to try and get solid loan signings for a season.

“The one-month loans are not ideal and people can be critical of loan signings because they may not have the club at heart. It is true to an extent but Shaq, Shamir and Baily, for example, were some of our best players and they were brought in because others hadn’t done the job.

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/TORQUAY-UNITED-Loan-deals-Hargreaves-plans/story-21108914-detail/story.html

Is there a round up anywhere of how all our youngsters out on loan got on this year? Other than Pritchard at Swindon have we had any other success stories?

I know a successful loan isn't really everything, but it was nice to see when Caulker was getting Player of the year at clubs etc.

If we exclude BAE, Holtby and Livermore then that leaves us needing reports on Falque, Pritchard, Mason, Gomelt, Fredericks, Obika, Ward, Hall, Ceballos, Khumalo, Coulthirst and Carroll.

I know next to nothing on most of those guys, but I have tried to keep up to date with a few of them:

Pritchard had a largely successful season with Swindon, getting plenty of assists and a few goals. Most of the goals he scored came from direct free kicks around the edge of the box, whilst others have come from decent runs into the box.

Mason was also on loan at Swindon and IIRC he started quite brightly for them. Unfortunately he's been hampered by injuries again so hasn't had as many appearances as he'd have liked.

Carroll is at QPR and from all reports I can find the QPR fans don't rate him at all. Watching him myself I can see a player who just looks out of place in the role he has been given and only looks useful when he has had the ball around the edge of the box. Against Forest last month he claimed 2-3 assists. The first goal came from a tap in after the keeper saved his initial shot, the other two from positions inside the 18 yrd box where he slipped clever passes into his team mates.

I watched Torquay UTD's last few games after Coulthirst was loaned to them. He scored a few goals and from what I can tell was involved in a lot of their best play, he even gave them some hope of not getting relegated.

Anyone else on here able to add some more?

watching the England under 17s right now in the final against Holland.......our boy Onomah started and so far he has shown some really classy moments. For such a young midfielder he has tremendous awareness, maturity about when to pass and when to run with the ball, has a decent turn of speed when he decides to take on the opponent. What an impressive lad he is. I think we have a player here.

watching the England under 17s right now in the final against Holland.......our boy Onomah started and so far he has shown some really classy moments. For such a young midfielder he has tremendous awareness, maturity about when to pass and when to run with the ball, has a decent turn of speed when he decides to take on the opponent. What an impressive lad he is. I think we have a player here.

Yeah, he looks good. Not outstanding in that half I thought, but definitely promising.

Very effective on the ball, one and two touch passes, very good close control, some good skill. Looks a bit further along physically than some of the Dutch players and he makes the best of it one on one, almost looked like a young Yaya Toure there for a second (but u17). Lacking a bit of intensity I thought, usually just stands around after playing a pass instead of running into space. Despite playing a number 10 role for most of the game he just about never got himself into the box to get at a cross or pass which was a little surprising. Could be the heat I suppose.

Clearly talented. Seems a little unsure about his role though, he keeps moving the ball short and quickly with one and two touches, but most of his teammates seem to look either for the long direct ball or to just run with it to take on players. Not sure how our youth teams play these days, but he looks more used to a team with more possession.

Yeah, he looks good. Not outstanding in that half I thought, but definitely promising.

Very effective on the ball, one and two touch passes, very good close control, some good skill. Looks a bit further along physically than some of the Dutch players and he makes the best of it one on one, almost looked like a young Yaya Toure there for a second (but u17). Lacking a bit of intensity I thought, usually just stands around after playing a pass instead of running into space. Despite playing a number 10 role for most of the game he just about never got himself into the box to get at a cross or pass which was a little surprising. Could be the heat I suppose.

Clearly talented. Seems a little unsure about his role though, he keeps moving the ball short and quickly with one and two touches, but most of his teammates seem to look either for the long direct ball or to just run with it to take on players. Not sure how our youth teams play these days, but he looks more used to a team with more possession.

I agree with you on all that.....definitely doesnt look sure about the num 10 role. Id like to see him a bit deeper at the hub of everything. Very Very promising though

I thought Onomah played great. very intelligent with his passing and decision making, has some skill and is confident. definetly one of our best prospects

Well done to england u17s for winning the competition. Thats pretty impressive. We have a very talented bunch of players coming through in England, a lot not of "the mould" too. We used to be all about pace and power but it's slowly changing. Finally.

Well done to england u17s for winning the competition. Thats pretty impressive. We have a very talented bunch of players coming through in England, a lot not of "the mould" too. We used to be all about pace and power but it's slowly changing. Finally.

Not sure I agree with that. Other than Roberts the "front 4" were all players that often dominated the Dutch players with pace, power and height. Not surprising to see England score after a corner and look dangerous from others whereas the Dutch never looked threatening from (crossing) set pieces.

Thought the deep/central midfield was crying out for a more playmaker type midfielder and most of the game England were playing very direct and were looking for moments of individual brilliance.

Nothing wrong with that in a final of a youth competition, the pressure was obviously also getting to some of the players. Just not sure I see the same development as you.

Thought both the full backs looked very promising. Shame the left back was an Arsenal player, the right back looked like Everton had just cloned Coleman and made him English (in terms of how he was playing, not his looks).

Back