• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The 2014/15 Results Comparison Thread

Jordinho

Ron Henry
Staff member
Couldn't be arsed to fill in the last few rounds last season, so a bit of maintenance was needed before I could start on this one.

After 3 games:

+6 Swansea
+5 Chelsea
+4 Aston Villa
+3 Liverpool, Tottenham
+2 QPR (compared to Cardiff)
+1 Sunderland, Burnley (compared to Fulham)
0 Stoke, Leicester (compared to Norwich)
-1 Arsenal, Hull
-2 Southampton, Crystal Palace
-3 Emirates Marketing Project, West Ham
-4 Saudi Sportswashing Machine, West Brom
-5 Everton
-7 Man Utd

anybody have the actual results handy, GD could be an interesting comparison as well this season.

I feel our points total was deceiving last season (2nd best in PL era), but GD really showed how we weren't clicking

anybody have the actual results handy, GD could be an interesting comparison as well this season.

I feel our points total was deceiving last season (2nd best in PL era), but GD really showed how we weren't clicking

I thought the opposite. We conceded 51 goals last season, 27 of those came in 8 games (against the top four). We scored 55, 2 of those came in those 8 games.

Take out those 8 and we were 53 for, 24 against in 30 games. A goal difference of +29.

Well I guess the summary of this is that we performed as intended against most teams not in the top four, it was the results against the top four which ended our top four hopes.

(Take out the top four performances and our points per games was 68 in 30 (?) Better than 2 per game.)

Last edited:
I thought the opposite. We conceded 51 goals last season, 27 of those came in 8 games (against the top four). We scored 55, 2 of those came in those 8 games.

Take out those 8 and we were 53 for, 24 against in 30 games. A goal difference of +29.

Well I guess the summary of this is that we performed as intended against most teams not in the top four, it was the results against the top four which ended our top four hopes.

(Take out the top four performances and our points per games was 68 in 30 (?) Better than 2 per game.)

It's a fair point re the big club results, but if you look at the PL table most years, clubs that really are in it (in or around top 4) vs. the Swansea/Saudi Sportswashing Machine/Southampton/flavor of the year that makes it to 6th to 8th, more time than not GD is a much bigger gap than points.

Even Spurs up until the BMJ era and even in it, yes, best of the rest, but GD in minus or +single digits.

Tottenham_PL_Stats.jpg

Good info on the graph, cheers. To me it's practically all about points, GD is a minor issue when it comes to final placings. We've never lost out on CL by GD, we've lost out on points time and time again.

Good info on the graph, cheers. To me it's practically all about points, GD is a minor issue when it comes to final placings. We've never lost out on CL by GD, we've lost out on points time and time again.

but surely having a better GD in theory leads to more points gained?

In theory. If we won 30 games 1-0 and lost the remaining 8 games 4-0 we'd end the league with a goal difference of -2, but would probably win the league.

There's likely a high correlation between goal difference and position in the league though.

There's usually a good correlation between number of goals scored and points taken.

We do have of anomalies, one of them last season. I'd say we overachieved.

In theory yes, but what counts ultimately are points. Utd had a better GD than us last season IIRC, but we finished above them as we had more points. Points trump GD every time.

05/06!

low goals against , we had inform Robbo, King and Dawson at the back, Carrick bossing. Loved it

It does tend to on the whole...

29m0x7d.jpg

In theory. If we won 30 games 1-0 and lost the remaining 8 games 4-0 we'd end the league with a goal difference of -2, but would probably win the league.

There's likely a high correlation between goal difference and position in the league though.

About as strong as the correlation between GD and Pts...

r7p1ty.jpg

Last edited:
looking at the pretty repeated pattern of dips and troughs, does that graph suggest to anyone else we're going to have a humdinger of a season for this year, or at least next? we definitely seem to peak hard before dropping off. is this possibly releated to talents coming into the height of their powers, and being sold off? 2012 - bale, 2010 modric, 2006 berba and keane at very rough guesses?

in any case, given my extensive mathematical analysis, this season lamela should put in big performances, get us CL. next season we just miss out on CL, and eriksen/lamela agitate for moves. sack poch into the season after that, appoint new manager (english, oldschool. alan pardew maybe?) and buy a new crop of young'uns, placing us back where we are now :)

looking at the pretty repeated pattern of dips and troughs, does that graph suggest to anyone else we're going to have a humdinger of a season for this year, or at least next? we definitely seem to peak hard before dropping off. is this possibly releated to talents coming into the height of their powers, and being sold off? 2012 - bale, 2010 modric, 2006 berba and keane at very rough guesses?

in any case, given my extensive mathematical analysis, this season lamela should put in big performances, get us CL. next season we just miss out on CL, and eriksen/lamela agitate for moves. sack poch into the season after that, appoint new manager (english, oldschool. alan pardew maybe?) and buy a new crop of young'uns, placing us back where we are now :)

Given Tottenham' history of hitting a glass ceiling every few years when our best players move to richer clubs (in addition to those you mention the other names that spring to mind are Klinsmann and Sheringham in the mid 1990s plus Gazza at the start of that decade) usually followed by a change in manager, your prediction might not be far off!

Fingers crossed that Eriksen and Lamela actually get to win some silverware with Spurs before the next cycle of sales, as looks like the new stadium won't be ready until they are nearly 30 years old so there's little chance of us being able to match their wage demands if they do go on to become world class.

Last edited:
OpponentH/AResult13/14Diff.Last SeasonH/AResultDiff.
West HamA1-00-2+3Crystal PalaceA1-00
QPR*H4-01-00(*Cardiff)SwanseaH1-00
LiverpoolH0-30-50ArsenalA0-10
SunderlandA2-22-1-2NorwichH2-0-2
Total Points76+1Total Points9-2
West BromH1-1CardiffA1-0

+6 Swansea, Aston Villa
+5 Chelsea
+4
+3
+2 Liverpool, Sunderland, QPR (compared to Cardiff)
+1 Tottenham
0 Stoke, Leicester (compared to Norwich)
-1 Arsenal, Crystal Palace, Burnley (compared to Fulham)
-2 Southampton, West Ham
-3 Emirates Marketing Project, Everton, Hull
-4 Saudi Sportswashing Machine
-5 West Brom
-7 Man Utd

Back