• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tennis thread

what is it with these players in their 30's winning Slams, this was unheard of 20 years ago, who are the new stars coming thru?

Looks like Murray will be calling it a day

Murray fought back tears as he described the unbearable pain of his hip problem.
An emotional Andy Murray announced he is planning to retire after Wimbledon but that next week’s Australian Open could be the final tournament of his career.

The former world number one has battled to recover from a chronic hip condition for more than 18 months, undergoing surgery in Melbourne a year ago, but was forced to admit in a tearful press conference that his efforts have not been enough.
Murray was on the verge of breaking down as he entered the press room and, asked how his hip was feeling, managed to say “not great” before being overcome by his emotions and having to leave the room.
He returned after several minutes to deliver his devastating news, saying: “Obviously I’ve been struggling for a long time. I’ve been in a lot of pain for about 20 months now.

“I’ve pretty much done everything that I could to try and get my hip feeling better and it hasn’t helped loads. I’m in a better place than I was six months ago but still in a lot of pain. It’s been tough.”
“During my training block (in Miami last month) I spoke to my team and told them I can’t keep doing this. I needed to have an end point because I was sort of playing with no idea when the pain was going to stop.

“I said to my team, look I think I can get through this until Wimbledon. That’s where I’d like to stop playing. But I’m also not certain I’m able to do that.”
After another pause while Murray sat with his head on the desk, he was asked whether this might be his last tournament.

“Yes I think there’s a chance of that for sure because I’m not sure I’m able to play through the pain for another four or five months,” he said.

More https://t.co/Ks49CKQbHq

Must admit it took me a while to warm to him. He does come across much better now and seems like a genuine nice person.
he stuck at it during a time of some of the real greats of his sport and won when others would have given up.
Well done in your achievements on and off the courts.

Unreal talent and actually a very funny guy.

People give him far too much stick for my liking. Wrapped up in this whole idea that sports people should always be chipper and happy and play up to the media is BS for me. He was as a fact one of the best British Tennis Players EVER........big loss to the sport.
Such a high bar too.

Must admit it took me a while to warm to him. He does come across much better now and seems like a genuine nice person.
he stuck at it during a time of some of the real greats of his sport and won when others would have given up.
Well done in your achievements on and off the courts.
He’s a top bloke.

Incredible dedication. That military style training regime he did when he beasted himself was just frightening.

Also more amazing when you consider how he put being present at the Dunblane school shootings behind him, never really allowed it to be mentioned in fact, until very very recently, then developed absolutely elite mental fortitude to win grand slams in the era of Federer, Nadal AND Djokovic!! Bloody unlucky timing that.

Seeing Murray in the studio and in commentary at the last Wimbledon I think (a bit like Jenas) he is going to really enjoy his retirement, away from the pressure.

Great effort from Murray against Bautista Agut. Looks like he'll fall just short.

Received a standing ovation from the Aussie fans before serving at 5-1 down in the fifth set.

Emotional stuff, tears in his eyes.

Unreal effort
It really says a lot when you think about how wealthy is and how physically hampered he is that he put in a 4 hour shift after going 2 down. I’ve seen lesser but fitter players phone it on at 2 down.

Really hope he gets himself into a position where he can play a match at Wimbledon, he hasn’t actually retired so the montage was a little premature. GHod knows what they will do if Feds announces his retirement inadvance!!

Unreal talent and actually a very funny guy.

People give him far too much stick for my liking. Wrapped up in this whole idea that sports people should always be chipper and happy and play up to the media is BS for me. He was as a fact one of the best British Tennis Players EVER........big loss to the sport.

Up there with Mark Cavendish for talking dismissively to the press(rightly so) I love them both, Murrary is also my sons first sporting idol. He loves tennis more then football and plays to county level. So I admire Murrary for being an excellent tennis player but he will also have a special place in my heart for being the man that turned my son onto sports.

I've been thinking about this for a while. In football, being "two-footed" is a clear advantage, yet I've never seen a tennis player switch the racket into his other hand. Must be an incredible advantage to be able to play mostly forehand?? More power, longer reach etc.
I play badminton myself, and badminton is too fast to make that work, but in tennis it should be possible. Any thoughts?

I've been thinking about this for a while. In football, being "two-footed" is a clear advantage, yet I've never seen a tennis player switch the racket into his other hand. Must be an incredible advantage to be able to play mostly forehand?? More power, longer reach etc.
I play badminton myself, and badminton is too fast to make that work, but in tennis it should be possible. Any thoughts?
I think switching would take too long, and you’d have to do it every time the ball was on the opposite side of the court to truly practice the strokes to the same degree.
if you could genuinely serve with either hand I think that would be an advantage as there is a school of thought about lefties having a serving advantage and I’m sure I read Uncle Toni trained a naturally right handed Nadal to play leftie.
I think there may be an ambidextrous cricket bowler, but too still have to declare what arm you are bowling with in advance and i think for the whole over?
I also wonder how far Ronnie O’Sullivan could go playing a snooker tourney solely left handed!

think switching would take too long
I don't think it would. Many players use both hands for backhand strokes. Would not take much more time to switch from right to left/left to right. Think it would be a powerful weapon if you surprised the opponent with a forehand, when he'd expect a backhand stroke.

Back