• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tattoos

Dicko

Edgar Davids
It's been bugging me all day so I'm just gonna put it out there to find out more info... sleeve tattoos... what's the deal?

Seeing how so many many people nowadays have full-on arm tattoos I was wondering.. How much of the tattoo is thought up with long drawn-out meticulously planned ideas generated from the customer themselves and how much of it comes from ideas from the tattooists!?

Despite liking the idea, I still haven't really ever come that close to getting a tattoo, solely 'cause I'm way too fussy and would never be able to decide on something that I could consider living with for the next 50 odd years, however I get that some people know what they want.. be it the name of a loved one, a Spurs tattoo etc... but with a full arm tattoo how does that work? I mean there's probably 100,000 people out there with a full arm tattoos now so how did they all come up with ideas for the whole arm? or do you just go and discuss it with your local tattooist who then generates ideas based on the same handful of templates that every tattoo shop will have? or is everyone's sleeve completely unique?

In general do tattooists frown upon customers that just come in with only a vague idea expecting them to come up with something or are they more than happy to say ''what about this?... or that?'' in the hope of selling you a tattoo?

Just wondering...

Some customers will have an idea of what they want - i.e me, others as you say will turn up on the day and say I want a new tattoo

All tattoists are different, some love being part of a planing stage others like the control of doing what they want, it massively varies

I planned mine out over a long period of time with my tattooist who is a friend, i'd take an idea of what I wanted, he would roughly draw it out, then print a transfer out which he would try on various parts of my arm until we would come up with something that I liked and was possible for him to do

Each tattoo I have means something to me, be it about a missed passed away love one or some other image which is close to my heart

I've found or designed all my tattoos. Once you have a few you find yourself designing and gathering ideas in your head on a regular basis. Most tattoo artists are fine to ink people on a whim, but I think in general they do prefer to have something to work with or help create. They are artists in their own right after all.

I know a few tattooists who won't cover up or go over other peoples work, but on the whole there isn't an issue with this. My suggestion would be to have at least an idea of what you would like in your head before you go in as it will help the tattooist have a better idea of what you are after, as well as giving you the peace of mind that what you are getting is something personal and meaningful.

Or you could go for the classic Tweetie Pie behind your shoulder.

I think people over-dramatize the whole "live with for the rest of my life"-aspect of a tattoo, to be honest, unless you were to have a tattoo on your face, of course.I also don't buy the "they're gonna look ugly when you're old"-argument - you'll be wrinkly and old and unattractive anyway, so why care about that? I tattooed my own leg just before x-mas on an after party. It looks pretty bad, but I don't really pay attention to it. It's on my leg. And it could always get fixed with a new tattoo, but in general, it's not something I think about or even notice much.

Regarding a tattooist helping you figure out a motive - that's partly their job, and what they are good at! I have three tattoos, the two first ones were ideas I had in my head and presented to my tattooist. He loved them, and said those were the kind of jobs he really enjoyed doing. I gave him the visual concept/idea, but said I trusted him completely in the artistic performance of it. Turned out way better than if I were to have it "exactly" the way I had thought them out in my head. I generally don't see this guy very often, I bump into him maybe once every four years or so, yet every time I meet him, he always mentions that he thought tattooing my arms was fun, and that he was really satisfied with the results.

I imagine the more creative freedoms you give a tattooist, the more he's going to enjoy his work. Give him some general idea about what you want, and make him/her do the rest (which is what he/she is really good at). Coming from doing the occasional graphic design work, I know this to be true. People who nitpick are a pain in the ass to work with, people who give you a general idea and creative freedom are without a doubt the best, and usually yields the best results.

Rather that than a deviant

But being a deviant is so much more fun. I would suggest you pop round finally but we are in the process of moving and the place we are looking at although does not have a basement the is an out building in the back garden which I would be happy to tie you up in.

I am past caring about stuff like that the is no harm in two consenting adults in the privacy of their own homes, wearing rubber and spanking each other. The is no excuse for walking all the road with all these ugly ink things on your arms.

What's the deal with tattoos full stop?

They look chavvy and do people not think what they will look like when they get older? Either they have to live with it or pay silly money to get them removed, which I'm assuming must tickle a little bit.

So many people get them just because it's fashionable and I've never seen the appeal personally.

They look chavvy and do people not think what they will look like when they get older? Either they have to live with it or pay silly money to get them removed, which I'm assuming must tickle a little bit.

So many people get them just because it's fashionable and I've never seen the appeal personally.

Like Daisuk says, you're going to be wrinkly unattractive with liver spots all over anyway when you're older. A little bit of ink is hardly going to be the star that broke the camels back.

Also just because you don't see the appeal doesn't mean others can't. I've never seen the appeal of gay sex but I don't go round judging those who do and warning them off all the downsides of their actions.;)

Awwww crap! Don't you just hate it when you get home from the shop and realize the sleeves on your jacket is too short?

Traditional-Japanese-Dragon-Tattoo-Sleeves-by-Shinji-Horizakura.jpg

I don't think its that expensive to remove them now though if you removed a sleeve i doubt your arm would be something youd want to look at after. It surely doesn't just get restored to normal skin after, I think it still looks a little frazzled.

That's a very very subjective and cultural view. In England some are of this opinion because we are naturally conservative and dare I say it, a little bit stuffy.

Next time you're in NZ I'll put you in touch with my rugby-playing Maori mates so you can have a go at them about their tattoos ;)

I've always thought that they weren't for me and were a bit silly really.
But since I've become a dad I've thought id love to get one with me boys name!

But.... still doesn't seem very "me"!

That's not what you were saying in bed last night Craig

I'm a bit of a **** tease Jurgen. Sorry if I'd raised your hopes so high!

Why do people get tattoos of dragons and fish?

That's one sort of Tattoo I can never quite grasp, the Chinese dragons and Japanese italics are so common in western society even though western culture has no reason for these to be popular... Am quite interested in what you mean by fish though as I've never seen someone with a tattoo of a fish before, whether living or canned!

Last edited:
These Japanese style fish seem to be very common;

https://www.google.no/search?q=japa...tal-art-gallery.com%2Fpicture%2F12984;640;880

It's like with all kind of trends, I guess. What are a lot of people wearing these days that they weren't wearing last year? I don't have a clue, but I remember wearing trailer caps was a huge trend for girls a few years ago, for instance. It's the same thing. Usually someone famous starts doing it, and for some reason, people jump on the band wagon.

I've always thought that they weren't for me and were a bit silly really.
But since I've become a dad I've thought id love to get one with me boys name!
But.... still doesn't seem very "me"!

Each to their own and all that, but I've always thought that tattooing a child's name or DOB, or anything like that is the tackiest and chaviest thing one could possibly do. Still it's your body, knock yourself out.

Back