• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tanguy Ndombele

So you think Lukaku looked lazy, funny that, because I think he was a consistent hard working goal scorer, with a return of 163 goals in 338 matches.

Funny how in all the years I have followed football in this country when ever a player is described as "lazy", it is always, 100% of the time being used to describe a black player be it Lukaku, Pogba or Ndombele. Interestingly, I can honestly say I have never ever heard a fan, pundit or commentator described a white player as "lazy. They might say they are bad players, but never lazy, not judgin' just sayin'.
What's the equivalent of racism when it's aimed at sister fudging ladyboys?

It's just that I'd like to describe Neymar as lazy, but I want to know what large and disparate group people are going to assume I'm criticising before I do so.

In his first season with us - 1985-86 - Chris Waddle got slaughtered for being 'lazy,' but over time fans came to recognise it was all about his languid running style.

By the summer of 1989-90 we were hugely disappointed when he was suddenly transferred to Monaco for a then record fee.
Yeah I was going to post that Waddle had that criticism, I remember reading it as he runs like he has a sack of coal on his shoulders.

I think Le Tissier may have been described as such, although probably by himself too!

So you think Lukaku looked lazy, funny that, because I think he was a consistent hard working goal scorer, with a return of 163 goals in 338 matches.

Funny how in all the years I have followed football in this country when ever a player is described as "lazy", it is always, 100% of the time being used to describe a black player be it Lukaku, Pogba or Ndombele. Interestingly, I can honestly say I have never ever heard a fan, pundit or commentator described a white player as "lazy. They might say they are bad players, but never lazy, not judgin' just sayin'.

You must selectively listen then.
Plenty of players are called lazy who are white.

Berbatov, Arshavin, Viduka, Shaw, Robben, Charlie Adam is one that annoys me especially, Ozil (if you count him as white), Cassano...

Last edited:
This might be taking things too far off topic, but I'd encourage everyone to spend a few minutes taking this test:

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html

(Click 'I wish to proceed' at the bottom, then select 'Race IAT' on the next page).

I've taken it twice, and both times it showed that I hold a negative association with black people (as compared with white people). I could even feel it as I was doing the test. I was quite shocked at first, but it was a positive thing in that it made me realise that I (and others) might have more subconscious biases than we realise.

(I'm not saying this means that the 'lazy' narrative being discussed above is true, but personally I am more open to this kind of claim than I used to be).

This might be taking things too far off topic, but I'd encourage everyone to spend a few minutes taking this test:

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html

(Click 'I wish to proceed' at the bottom, then select 'Race IAT' on the next page).

I've taken it twice, and both times it showed that I hold a negative association with black people (as compared with white people). I could even feel it as I was doing the test. I was quite shocked at first, but it was a positive thing in that it made me realise that I (and others) might have more subconscious biases than we realise.

(I'm not saying this means that the 'lazy' narrative being discussed above is true, but personally I am more open to this kind of claim than I used to be).

Just a caution that said implicit bias test has faced questions about its validity and reliability for a long time now. At the very least, one-time tests are basically useless, and you have to use it several times and aggregate the results for a more robust indicator of your views. At the very worst, it's completely useless because of its use of arbitrary cutoffs to determine negative associations, which has been highlighted by the American Psychology Association, among others.

By all means, introspect on whether you do have implicit biases, but I'd caution against using this test as a statistically significant predictor of that.

Just a caution that said implicit bias test has faced questions about its validity and reliability for a long time now. At the very least, one-time tests are basically useless, and you have to use it several times and aggregate the results for a more robust indicator of your views. At the very worst, it's completely useless because of its use of arbitrary cutoffs to determine negative associations, which has been highlighted by the American Psychology Association, among others.

By all means, introspect on whether you do have implicit biases, but I'd caution against using this test as a statistically significant predictor of that.

Fair enough, and yes I certainly wouldn’t claim that the results of the test are definitive proof of anything. But I’d still encourage people to give it a try and reflect on their experience, because for me I could actually feel my bias very clearly as I tried to carry out the task, regardless of what the results said. I might be in the minority though!

Fair enough, and yes I certainly wouldn’t claim that the results of the test are definitive proof of anything. But I’d still encourage people to give it a try and reflect on their experience, because for me I could actually feel my bias very clearly as I tried to carry out the task, regardless of what the results said. I might be in the minority though!

Should lukaku take the test too? He seems to think he was out of shape at utd.

https://www.sportbible.com/football...lost-16lbs-and-got-in-the-best-shape-20210324

Should lukaku take the test too? He seems to think he was out of shape at utd.

https://www.sportbible.com/football...lost-16lbs-and-got-in-the-best-shape-20210324

Firstly, I'll repeat what I said earlier: '(I'm not saying this means that the 'lazy' narrative being discussed above is true, but personally I am more open to this kind of claim than I used to be).' In case that language was unclear/misleading, I meant that my post about the Stanford test was more tangential/general than pertaining specifically to the 'laziness' argument.

I don't know where I stand on the laziness argument specifically - I'd like to see some more-than-anecdotal evidence either way.

introspect on whether you do have implicit biases
Slightly pedantic note, but EVERYONE has lots of implicit biases, it is impossible not to. We did a biiiig course on this at work.

E.g. if you see someone who cannot spell, cannot articulate their point well, is very erudite, knowledgeable, is stupid, has a PhD, votes Tory or Labour or Dem or Republican, is very fat, or wearing rags, or filthy, or wearing designer clothes, in a certain car, a certain race, live in a caravan, are a traveller, if you see someone old, or that appears weak, or seems young, is from your local area or from a distant country, has 10 siblings, EVERYONE has a certain reaction to these things.
We all have to be aware of this and try to react in the right way.

So did he just randomly become fit overnight? Conte’s only been here 2 weeks.
Does seem odd.
I assume they're comparing old data to present, in which case maybe nothing to get too excited about assuming his previous numbers weren't great. But a significant improvement in two weeks?

Does seem odd.
I assume they're comparing old data to present, in which case maybe nothing to get too excited about assuming his previous numbers weren't great. But a significant improvement in two weeks?

I wouldn't be surprised if he just needed a disciplinarian to get his brick straight.
Why try when you don't HAVE to?
Ah ok, now I HAVE to.

I wouldn't be surprised if he just needed a disciplinarian to get his brick straight.
Why try when you don't HAVE to?
Ah ok, now I HAVE to.
Agree, pretty sure that's exactly what he needs, it's the time frame though. I guess that starting from an already realatively high fitness base means a big improvement can be seen in a short time.

Just needs to apply it on the pitch. We all know he has ability. Just needs to apply it.

Nothing would make me happier than to see him be as good as we think he could be.

Back