• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tanguy Ndombele

This guy must be one of the most skillfull players to wear the Spurs shirt in the PL era. We HAVE to find a way to squeeze all that talent out for the benefit of THFC.
When we get a manager that is an attacking-minded and structural coach that actually believes in attacking and taking some risks to do so, then we can judge him appropriately.

This guy must be one of the most skillfull players to wear the Spurs shirt in the PL era. We HAVE to find a way to squeeze all that talent out for the benefit of THFC.
When we get a manager that is an attacking-minded and structural coach that actually believes in attacking and taking some risks to do so, then we can judge him appropriately.

We need a coach and not a manager in charge, Mourinho is a manager, he won't sit there and go through drills with players trying to make them better he will set up a formation that suits the team / players but not try and coach the brick parts out of your game.

We need a coach and not a manager in charge, Mourinho is a manager, he won't sit there and go through drills with players trying to make them better he will set up a formation that suits the team / players but not try and coach the brick parts out of your game.

I agree. Just a little more actual coaching would have made a big difference to our season imo

I think a major key to that will be top have some sort of attacking structure and consistently making sure players are ahead of him when he receives the ball rather than giving it to him and sort of saying "run with it, find Kane or Son and if not carry it as far as you can and then create something"...

There may be s ome truth in that for sure, but he needs to accept that it is a team game and trying to look good all the time instead of looking for the better option is not going to be good enough. Its in his hands.

If Poch can coach Walker and Rose to the standard he did, no reason someone of that ilk can't improve Ndombele

He's also unique which in and of itself is worth something.

"different" players can be hard to fit in just right, but when you do, it's a nightmare for the opposition.

Yup, one of the great midfielders of his generation and comes across as a thoroughly likeable fella… a real pity that he plays for such a horrible club whose fans have such a lengthy history of racism.

A marvelous player, has been for years and has himself endured managers who tried to play him out of his favored position (Sarri) which led to a drop in form and a spell as a squad player.

I just think comparisons with Ndombele are troubling. They have very little in common. It would be like comparing Grealish to Rice.

A marvelous player, has been for years and has himself endured managers who tried to play him out of his favored position (Sarri) which led to a drop in form and a spell as a squad player.

I just think comparisons with Ndombele are troubling. They have very little in common. It would be like comparing Grealish to Rice.

Different players. And also different levels. Same colour though so...

Reactions: DTA
Different players. And also different levels. Same colour though so...
Actually same nationality
And very similar backgrounds
Both play CM
Both cost a lot of money with a lot of expectation after coming through a lower tier in France. Expect Tanguy okayed international football before making his big move
The fact their colour is the same isn’t really relevant
The majority of the France squad I believe now is black African origins players
I believe most of the french players we have signed from France have come with an African origin and been embraced by Spurs fans
What’s people dont like is lazy players and players with brick attitudes. That may give some racist idiot a chance to vent some vitriol but then those people just wait for that opportunit
But I don’t believe for once second the criticism yet again of Tanguy is for anything other than his talent which he has shown this season

He's also unique which in and of itself is worth something.

"different" players can be hard to fit in just right, but when you do, it's a nightmare for the opposition.

Wasn't Dembele struggling with us before Poch came in. I recall him struggling to establish himself as a regular starter despite a promising start in his first season when him and Sandro played. He was going nowhere when Poch came in and was subsequently turned into arguably the best midfielder in the league and my personal favourite player to watch. Would love someone to do the same with Ndombele because he has bundles of talent.

Actually same nationality
And very similar backgrounds
Both play CM

Both cost a lot of money with a lot of expectation after coming through a lower tier in France. Expect Tanguy okayed international football before making his big move
The fact their colour is the same isn’t really relevant
The majority of the France squad I believe now is black African origins players
I believe most of the french players we have signed from France have come with an African origin and been embraced by Spurs fans
What’s people dont like is lazy players and players with brick attitudes. That may give some racist idiot a chance to vent some vitriol but then those people just wait for that opportunit
But I don’t believe for once second the criticism yet again of Tanguy is for anything other than his talent which he has shown this season

Similar backgrounds? Qualify that. Kante grew up in the western suburbs of Paris. Ndombele grew up 15 miles or so south-east of Paris. Come on mate, you'll have to do better than that.

Both play CM. Again, Grealish and Rice are both 'CM's but obviously their skill sets are vastly different.

Criticism of Tanguy Ndombele is not the issue for me, the issue is comparing him to a player whose skills and deployment are vastly different, let alone things such as physique. In fact, the irony is that Grealish would be a better comparison study than Kante given their unique skillsets and deployments.

It makes me laugh when I read things like 'lazy players with brick attitudes' as a nod towards Ndombele. He survived an attempted Mourinho spacegoating, and a very public open too. I don't call that a 'brick attitude' at all. Again, I understand if people don't like him, but IF comparisons are to be made, perhaps choosing someone of similar abilities who gets played in similar positions would be good. Remember, the bloke went from a deep CM (not his position) to an attacking one sometimes deployed as a 10.

Wasn't Dembele struggling with us before Poch came in. I recall him struggling to establish himself as a regular starter despite a promising start in his first season when him and Sandro played. He was going nowhere when Poch came in and was subsequently turned into arguably the best midfielder in the league and my personal favourite player to watch. Would love someone to do the same with Ndombele because he has bundles of talent.

Selling him because Bentaleb was coming through was a common opinion in Pochs first season iirc

Similar backgrounds? Qualify that. Kante grew up in the western suburbs of Paris. Ndombele grew up 15 miles or so south-east of Paris. Come on mate, you'll have to do better than that.

Both play CM. Again, Grealish and Rice are both 'CM's but obviously their skill sets are vastly different.

Criticism of Tanguy Ndombele is not the issue for me, the issue is comparing him to a player whose skills and deployment are vastly different, let alone things such as physique. In fact, the irony is that Grealish would be a better comparison study than Kante given their unique skillsets and deployments.

It makes me laugh when I read things like 'lazy players with brick attitudes' as a nod towards Ndombele. He survived an attempted Mourinho spacegoating, and a very public open too. I don't call that a 'brick attitude' at all. Again, I understand if people don't like him, but IF comparisons are to be made, perhaps choosing someone of similar abilities who gets played in similar positions would be good. Remember, the bloke went from a deep CM (not his position) to an attacking one sometimes deployed as a 10.
They both grew up in France
They were by your own words 15/20 mile apart (not that where in France is important)
Both came through lower leagues and almost didn’t make it
They both have enormous talent
They both have the same amount of assists too this season’s in the league.
But one so far has shown it in glimpses and the other has done it on the biggest stage
Sissoko and rabiot are on the France squad ahead of tanguy... neither are in his league
The comparison is more to do with the attitude and work rate as you say, and don’t like. It’s nothing to do with his skin colour as Luton said

They both grew up in France
They were by your own words 15/20 mile apart (not that where in France is important)
Both came through lower leagues and almost didn’t make it
They both have enormous talent
They both have the same amount of assists too this season’s in the league.
But one so far has shown it in glimpses and the other has done it on the biggest stage
Sissoko and rabiot are on the France squad ahead of tanguy... neither are in his league
The comparison is more to do with the attitude and work rate as you say, and don’t like. It’s nothing to do with his skin colour as Luton said

I am convinced you don't read these answers in detail and only extrapolate bits, which you then tailor/misrepresent to suit your argument.

Last edited:
Always good to get the definitive answer. Thanks.
Do you know what. I’ve been racking my brain to think of a better comparison as I do agree he doesn’t play the same role as kante.
The issue is your looking for a player who has cost a fortune, but has had bumps in his career. Plays a creative CM (itself a rare beast) and then over turned it.
I cant think of one TBH
Keita at pool? He hasn’t stepped up since joining and he looked brilliant before joining.
Lo Celso would arguably be another I guess as he had a failed moved at PSG (although his numbers were good and the fans their rated him).
Donny at United is in that position currently all be it he can’t get in as he has a better player ahead of him.
Tanguy is odd. He isn’t a 10 or an 8. He is a hybrid of what makes a great technical footballer.

Do you know what. I’ve been racking my brain to think of a better comparison as I do agree he doesn’t play the same role as kante.
The issue is your looking for a player who has cost a fortune, but has had bumps in his career. Plays a creative CM (itself a rare hunk of burning love) and then over turned it.
I cant think of one TBH
Keita at pool? He hasn’t stepped up since joining and he looked brilliant before joining.
Lo Celso would arguably be another I guess as he had a failed moved at PSG (although his numbers were good and the fans their rated him).
Donny at United is in that position currently all be it he can’t get in as he has a better player ahead of him.
Tanguy is odd. He isn’t a 10 or an 8. He is a hybrid of what makes a great technical footballer.

Which is why I said I found the comparison very ill-founded.
Criticism? Everyone's choice. Comparisons which don't stack up? Not a great habit IMO.

Back