• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tanguy Ndombele

I think Ndombele needs a bit more time and some strong coaching. Only a few years ago he was playing in League 5 in France! And now he’s in the unforgiving rough and tumble world of EPL football.

It doesn’t feel right to give up on such a talent so quickly. The year before he joined us he dominated Emirates Marketing Project’s midfield in the Champions league.

I say we give him one more year to adapt if it’s still not working out then we move him on. He’ll still be young enough to get a decent fee

I love Ndombele, in terms of abiltity he's ridiculously gifted but the mental side is an issue.
I can't remember if it was posted on here but there was an article with I think his uncle just after he signed all about a lack of commitment and his general disinterest in being an elite player before he joined Lyon.
I certainly wouldn't give up on him but that mental side will always be there which for someone who would have killed for half his ability will continue to be pulling out my hair frustrating.

I love Ndombele, in terms of abiltity he's ridiculously gifted but the mental side is an issue.
I can't remember if it was posted on here but there was an article with I think his uncle just after he signed all about a lack of commitment and his general disinterest in being an elite player before he joined Lyon.
I certainly wouldn't give up on him but that mental side will always be there which for someone who would have killed for half his ability will continue to be pulling out my hair frustrating.

As you say there is no doubting his ability on the ball but its not just down to ability, he has to bring more if he wants to become a real top player. At the moment he seems to want to be a show pony and get by on that and that is never going to be good enough. Its in his hands and unless he changes that attitude he will waste the ability he has.

As you say there is no doubting his ability on the ball but its not just down to ability, he has to bring more if he wants to become a real top player. At the moment he seems to want to be a show pony and get by on that and that is never going to be good enough. Its in his hands and unless he changes that attitude he will waste the ability he has.

A 'show-pony'?

Another good principle is to not sell players with world class ability after virtually 1,5 season.

World-class ability allied to a pretty lousy mentality where he shrinks into his shell and fades away if things aren't going his way in the first five minutes.

N'Golo Kante was linked up there earlier - doesn't have a fifth of Ndombele's natural ability, or even his size and strength.

But he never stops working, never stops running, lives with humility and never stops learning.

While Tubby is sat here on 200k a week with one good performance out of every five.

Worth keeping him around? I'm not convinced. If PSG or someone offers us around what we paid for him, I say let him go. Get Bissouma, or even Anguissa from Fulham - they both do the press evasion job Tanguy does, with half the hassle and a lot more hard work.

I wish he was more of a show pony. His show poniness is where his creativity comes from, which is what we sorely missed in the last couple of months of the season.

A 'show-pony'?

He needs to learn when to run with the ball and when to play another player in, at the moment he slows everything down with fancy footwork. He has ability but he needs to learn when to use it at close quarters and when to move it quicker. I hope he does that sooner rather then later.

I wish he was more of a show pony. His show poniness is where his creativity comes from, which is what we sorely missed in the last couple of months of the season.

There is a time and a place for looking good on the ball and he can do that for sure, but IMO he needs to mix his game up more. Turning round in circles over and over is not always the best thing. Mix it up by playing the right ball at the right time and IMO he does not always do this.

World-class ability allied to a pretty lousy mentality where he shrinks into his shell and fades away if things aren't going his way in the first five minutes.

N'Golo Kante was linked up there earlier - doesn't have a fifth of Ndombele's natural ability, or even his size and strength.

But he never stops working, never stops running, lives with humility and never stops learning.

While Tubby is sat here on 200k a week with one good performance out of every five.

Worth keeping him around? I'm not convinced. If PSG or someone offers us around what we paid for him, I say let him go. Get Bissouma, or even Anguissa from Fulham - they both do the press evasion job Tanguy does, with half the hassle and a lot more hard work.

In some parallel universe we managed to keep Modric plus signed Kante to play alongside him in midfield and became the first London club to be crowned champions of Europe…

He needs to learn when to run with the ball and when to play another player in, at the moment he slows everything down with fancy footwork. He has ability but he needs to learn when to use it at close quarters and when to move it quicker. I hope he does that sooner rather then later.

I think a major key to that will be top have some sort of attacking structure and consistently making sure players are ahead of him when he receives the ball rather than giving it to him and sort of saying "run with it, find Kane or Son and if not carry it as far as you can and then create something"...

Comparing Kante to Ndombele is bizarre. What's the basis? Two totally different players. Let's face it, 9/10ths of the Premier League midfielders could do with a leafs from Kante's book, he is phenomenal in many ways.

I would like to see him coached in a system, preferably by the manager who wanted him. He has an incredible ceiling. Left to his own devices, he does not get close to his potential.

Comparing Kante to Ndombele is bizarre. What's the basis? Two totally different players. Let's face it, 9/10ths of the Premier League midfielders could do with a leafs from Kante's book, he is phenomenal in many ways.

I would like to see him coached in a system, preferably by the manager who wanted him. He has an incredible ceiling. Left to his own devices, he does not get close to his potential.

Not all that different. French central midfielders with iffy beginnings at the top level. Only, in Ndombele's case, his natural talent was and is so outrageous that he seems to think he can coast by on it, while in Kante's case, his lack of ability, size or strength meant he had to scrap harder than everyone else, never stop running and never give up. One's a serial champion, one has been benched or otherwise left out of matchday squads by three coaches now - Poch, Mourinho, and Ryan.

More than anything else, players like Ndombele disappoint me. He has the potential to be the world's best midfielder, bar none. But from his early days onward (where as I recall he was almost released at youth level for being lazy), he's never translated it into consistent domination, preferring to coast on one good game out of five. Even at Lyon - his last season, their fans were saying he only showed up for the big games and was a passenger everywhere else.

I admit, he hasn't had the benefit of being coached in a coherent system, so there is that. But personally, I'd prefer to see Lo Celso get the minutes if we had to pick between them. At least Lo Celso doesn't hide.

I think the showpony stuff is a result of Mourinho. For me the guy is a couple of seconds ahead of the game. Reminds me of Steven Gerrard, early on at the dippers he was seeing things so much quicker than those around him, he literally had to slow his brain down.
Do you remember Tanguy's first touch for Spurs? It was a ridiculously perfect slide rule pass in a pre season friendly, the only player on the same wavelength was Kane.
I think Mourinho asked him to slow things down leading to the showpony second half to the season.

Back