• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tanguy Ndombele

My uneducated opinion is, when we get aggressively pressed Højbjerg and N'Dombele move to the flanks to defend and the central defenders move closer together forming a low block of a back 6, this then puts all the pressure on the front 3 plus the AM to be able to act as an outlet from the press.

Once we are in a low block the opposition midfield is then free to press our outlet players and unless there is an accurate log ball that negates the midfield entirely we get swamped and lose possession of the ball.

Before N'Dombele was moved alongside Højbjerg in CM he seemed to be our most successful outlet player because he could beat the press and get the ball past the midfield to Son or Kane freeing them to attack the oppositions defence, thus causing the opposition to relinquish the press as they needed to defend deeper. When he is part of the low block he can no longer influence the game the way we have seen when he plays higher up the pitch and as much as I like Moura's runs and Dele's flicks, for these types of games I think N'dombele is our best option in that role, even if it means starting Winks or Sissoko next to Højbjerg in midfield.

I could be wrong, I normally am when it comes to football tactics
I get a bit confused reading about the opponents pressing us and us defending deep as if it's happening at the same time? Usually opponents press when we have the ball, but when we're defending? Or are your talking about situations where we're defending deep, then win the ball and is immediately under pressure?

To me any situation we can get Ndombele on the ball is probably a good thing. Just after a turnover when defending deep, just after a turnover with the team deep, but him higher up the pitch as a #10. Him deep in buildup play, him closer to or in the final third when we're attacking.

Basically just get the ball to Ndombele and good things will happen with a good frequency. Unless he has an off day, but that happens.

I disagree.
when Ndombele does finally get the ball, he's criticized for not turning and going forward when it looks to me like the quick lay off and his subsequent movement gives us the chance to have an extra man going forward.
Ndombele should never lay the ball off to Sanchez and run off forwards, leaving Sanchez to work out where to shank it. Never.

I thought playing him deeper would have him more involved but now I am refusing that opinion - to work out how to get more from him, some moments of genius from him but it feels like his matches are becoming a highlight reel of him beating a couple of men and getting fouled near our half. Need to see a combination of him knowing when to release the ball and get him further up the pitch where the fouls he draws might offer more threat* rather than just breaking up play without a card being shown as a deterrent.
Lo Celso can help with this as I see him as an engine room player rather than a creator or goal threat, although will get on the end of some counters due to his box to box athleticism.
*Of course this still relies on a decent free kick taker!

I thought playing him deeper would have him more involved but now I am refusing that opinion - to work out how to get more from him, some moments of genius from him but it feels like his matches are becoming a highlight reel of him beating a couple of men and getting fouled near our half. Need to see a combination of him knowing when to release the ball and get him further up the pitch where the fouls he draws might offer more threat* rather than just breaking up play without a card being shown as a deterrent.
Lo Celso can help with this as I see him as an engine room player rather than a creator or goal threat, although will get on the end of some counters due to his box to box athleticism.
*Of course this still relies on a decent free kick taker!
Agree, he is coming too deep for me. He is best further up the pitch when his skills really hurt teams. And when he does lose the ball trying things(which I don’t mind) he leaves us more vulnerable when it’s lost on the halfway line like happened a couple of times last night.....

No he's not, at least not the way I use the words defensive midfielder.

He's definitely a very good deep midfielder though, and he's good enough defensively to play that role. Potentially world class deep midfielder imo.

Ndombele is skilful with a football. But I don't think we are playing him correctly and I cant go world-class because of how our current manager set him up in a Matic/Kante type role.
I would like to see him further forward in a more attacking creative area.

Ndombele is not a defensive midfielder.

Good job we are not playing his as one then, he plays deeper but there is a big difference then being a defensive midfielder. At the moment that is where he is at his best, when/if we ever get Lo Celso Fit/playing on a regular basis we may see a change in formation for him.

Ndombele is skilful with a football. But I don't think we are playing him correctly and I cant go world-class because of how our current manager set him up in a Matic/Kante type role.
I would like to see him further forward in a more attacking creative area.
Why a Matic/Kante role rather than a deep playmaker role?

At some point players like Eden Hazard and Salah got so good and found it so easy to make players look stupid, they got an extra couple of yards because players didn't want to be shown up.

Same should happen to Ndombele eventually, particularly when he gets into the box, you just think that Ndombele can do his jelly legs flik flak mondo bondo jizzy jazzy and win a penalty easy peasy

At some point players like Eden Hazard and Salad got so good and found it so easy to make players look stupid, they got an extra couple of yards because players didn't want to be shown up.

Same should happen to Ndombele eventually, particularly when he gets into the box, you just think that Ndombele can do his jelly legs flik flak mondo bondo jizzy jazzy and win a pelanty easy peasy

You make a valid point and I think we saw a few times yesterday when their players stood of Tanguy because they did not know what he was going to do. he makes it hard for opposing players to know what/where he is going to do and which way he was going to turn.

You make a valid point and I think we saw a few times yesterday when their players stood of Tanguy because they did not know what he was going to do. he makes it hard for opposing players to know what/where he is going to do and which way he was going to turn.
What worries me is I’m not sure he knows what’s he’s doing either and in what direction.

Back