• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tactics Thread

Thank GHod. Common sense.

Maybe AVB might play Eriksen there, but it's a little strange to.

I'm by no means any expert on Eriksen. And I trust you would have seen him a few times Mumorn, but I've seen loadsa youtube clips ( :lol: yeah yeah I know ), and he seems to drift out there an awful lot. Maybe that's why people are assuming it's a possibility?

Mumorn, how would you like to see us lineup? Strongest XI

I'm by no means any expert on Eriksen. And I trust you would have seen him a few times Mumorn, but I've seen loadsa youtube clips ( :lol: yeah yeah I know ), and he seems to drift out there an awful lot. Maybe that's why people are assuming it's a possibility?

Mumorn, how would you like to see us lineup? Strongest XI

He would be our most creative footballer so I'd rather everything come through him. As for my strongest line up:

Lloris
Walker - Kaboul - Vertonghen - Rose
Sandro - Paulinho
Eriksen
Lamela - Soldado - Chadli​

In games where we are expecting to dominate why not:

---------------------------------Lloris--------------------------------
Walker-------------Kaboul------------------Verts----------------Rose-
--------------------Sandro-----------------Holtby--------------------
Lamela-----------------------Eriksen-------------------------Lennon--
-------------------------------Soldado-------------------------------

**** only play with 1 real holder, no reason why we can't just have Sandro in there too! Holtby and Lennon cover lots of ground defensively whilst still contributing a lot offensively.
The tactic is not to bulldoze teams, but to retain possession with excellent technical ability and to win it back with youthful energy and pressing. The three behind the striker rotate a la chelsea's three amigo's last year.

He would be our most creative footballer so I'd rather everything come through him. As for my strongest line up:

Lloris
Sandro - Paulinho
Eriksen

same here - if what i have read is true both Lamela and Chadli have both come off the back of two seasons playing wing forwards in a 433 (right and left respectively) and Eriksen comes from a 433 at Ajax also but in a more central midfield role (although he obviously gets forward during play) - i don't think that's a coincidence. Im not sure if Chadli is considered first choice though and maybe the emergence of Townsend will see some chopping and changing as we try to find out the teams/players best formation but atm i think this is the most likely.

i appreciate what Chancer has posted re Lamela playing more as no.10 in his River Plate days and maybe we will see him eventually in that role, but from the age of 19 it sounds like Roma have had him as a wing forward so id imagine there's a good chance that;s how we see him in the immediate future (especially considering we signed Eriksen who plays through the middle)

i think the team above is well balanced and has everyone more or less in positions they are comfortable with - Sandro can drop back alongside the two CBs allowing Walker and Rose the freedom to get forward and play to their strengths - we have the creativity in the middle we have sorely missed and three players in the forward positions who can score goals. im excited to see it in action

Its all guess work at the moment. AVB needs time with them on the training pitch, and then 10 games or more to let them settle. No one knows our best formation. Just that the players need to perform to get into AVBs first choice 11. There are very few 'guaranteed' starters. Maybe the following:

Lloris
Walker
Rose
Vertonghen

You'd expect Soldado and Paulinho to be in the team due to their transfer fee and clear talent, but should they falter, there are ready international replacements chomping at the bit. Lamela likewise though his age means he should be eased in and shouldn't be overplayed.

So 6 or 7 players who are shoe ins and the rest up for grabs based on performance?

Its all guess work at the moment. AVB needs time with them on the training pitch, and then 10 games or more to let them settle. No one knows our best formation. Just that the players need to perform to get into AVBs first choice 11. There are very few 'guaranteed' starters. Maybe the following:

Lloris
Walker
Rose
Vertonghen

You'd expect Soldado and Paulinho to be in the team due to their transfer fee and clear talent, but should they falter, there are ready international replacements chomping at the bit. Lamela likewise though his age means he should be eased in and shouldn't be overplayed.

So 6 or 7 players who are shoe ins and the rest up for grabs based on performance?

I wonder if it might even be more than that?

> AVB is probably thinking - in that modern way of his - of a 1st team spine involving all 4 of our new big signings: Lloris > Vertonghen > Paulinhio > Eriksen & Lamela > Soldado. I'd slate all 6 in that spine as automatics.

> Given our limitations at FB, those two spots are probably auto Walker and Rose for now too. There really isn't a decision there for AVB to make at the moment. So I make it 8 automatics at that point.

> And in all likelihood that number will rise to 9 once one of the CB's makes the place beside Verts his own in the coming weeks (go get it Vlad!!). Once that partnership gets nailed down it's likely to stick barring injury...so we could be up to 9 automatics within a week or two of the season's resumption.

> One could also argue that a fully fit Sandro is also an automatic in both the 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, and certainly given Etienne's injury and Dembele's shaky form. Which would make it 10 automatics!

> That leaves a single spot: the extra deep midfielder in the 4-3-3 (contested by Dembele, Capoue and perhaps even Holtby as I saw someone suggest above), or the extra attacking midfielder in the 4-2-3-1 (contested by Lennon, Townsend, Siggs, Chadli and Holtby.)

So I think there's a strong case for 10 automatics (once the spare CB spot is definitively decided), with one spot to fight over depending on formation.

I think we may have to revert to the plan of a few years ago......

'fackin run around a bit'

Lloris
Sandro - Paulinho
Eriksen

That's how I'd like to see us set up.

If Eriksen, Lamela, and Chadli all start, who will handle free kick duty? I assume not Chadli, as his touch has been poor and Lamela started taking them after he subbed on against scum. Eriksen has looked impressive in his highlights, though I've no idea how consistent he is.

Standard formation:

-----------------Lloris----------------

Walker----Kab----------Verts-----Rose

----------------Sandro---------------

-------Paulinho---------Holtby--------

Lamela-------------------------Eriksen

-------------Soldado-----------------

Without possession :

__________(goal line)Lloris_________________

Walker------Kaboul------------Verts-----Rose
________(Penalty area)_______

----Sandro--------Paulinho----------Holtby

---------Lamela-------------Eriksen--------

-------------------Soldado----------------
____________(half-way line)_____________

In possession:

-----Daws-----------------------Verts-----
_____________(Halfway line)_____________

-------------------Sandro-----------------

----------Paulinho-------------------------

Walker------------------Holtby--------Rose

--------Lamela--> ----- <--Eriksen--------
__________(penalty area)_______________
------------------Soldado------------------
O
_____________(goal line)_____________

Last edited:
Standard formation:

-----------------Lloris----------------

Walker----Kab----------Verts-----Rose

----------------Sandro---------------

-------Paulinho---------Holtby--------

Lamela-------------------------Eriksen

-------------Soldado-----------------

Without possession :

__________(goal line)Lloris_________________

Walker------Kaboul------------Verts-----Rose
________(Penalty area)_______

----Sandro--------Paulinho----------Holtby

---------Lamela-------------Eriksen--------

-------------------Soldado----------------
____________(half-way line)_____________

In possession:

O

Good plan, use Kaboul when we don't have possession and then throw on Daws when we do! :)

Standard formation:

In possession:

O

OK just looking at that picture gives a lot of food for thought:
We've got pace and bite in the tackle to snuff out counter attacks which should permit us confidence to develop more acute angles and direct running into the box than last season against deep defences.

I've not seen Eriksen or Erik play yet but they just need to be very tidy and busy when it's tight and try and give Rose and Walker time to step confidently into delivering crosses first time from wide positions.

They are going to have a great time working all this out at training, so many options. And it will be fascinating to see how the players differ from the way I am led to believe they like to play.

I also hope the boys are working on their distance shooting techniques, that option always seemed to work as a last resort last year (ahem)...

Bit off topic but

Pic from the official site

These two.............Imagine

leds730i.jpg

Good plan, use Kaboul when we don't have possession and then throw on Daws when we do! :)

:lol:

I also don't like that our goalkeeper has to leave the pitch when we have possession.

Fine, Sir Pedant. Here:

_____________(goal line)Lloris________________

_____________(penalty area)_________________

<-----ballboy 1---------------------------------> ballboy 2

<----------- That fat bloke with the orange vest I always see on the telly

<----------- approximate location of Daniel Levy

-----Daws-----------------------Verts----- |Wenger/Moyes/Rodgers/Mourinho/.A.N Other

-------------------Sandro----------------- | AVB

:lol:

Fine, Sir Pedant. Here:

_____________(goal line)Lloris________________

_____________(penalty area)_________________

<-----ballboy 1---------------------------------> ballboy 2

<----------- That fat bloke with the orange vest I always see on the telly

<----------- approximate location of Daniel Levy

-----Daws-----------------------Verts----- |Wenger/Moyes/Rodgers/Mourinho/.A.N Other

-------------------Sandro----------------- | AVB

Ball boys as fullbacks is taking a risk.

I'd fancy a bit of this when in possession:

Use this11.com for tactics for football

Though i must admit it seems a bit heavy on the right side.. Could be good though if Daws is in there to switch play quickly to Rose with one of those laser beams he likes to hit cross field.

Back