• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tactics Thread

I still think our best bet would be:

-----------------Capoue/Sandro-------------------

------------Paulinho----------Dembele-------------

--Lamela---------------------------- -----Eriksen--

---------------------Soldado--------------------

We just need to work out how to use Paulinho and Dembele properly.

That looks very strong to me too. I would like to see Eriksen in addition to Lamela and Chadli personally, but adding Lamela and Eriksen for Townsend and Chadli in the team that played against Swansea seems impressive for sure.

I don't think we know that for certain by any means BY.

1. He played No. 10 at River Plate, and since he obviously had rather serious competition for that position at Roma, he played on the right. If anything the evidence suggests it was that move to the right that was unnatural to him.

2. He's a left footed player, so saying the right is his natural position doesn't seem intuitively correct. Left or central are more natural for a lefty....lefties playing on the right, or vica versa, is a somewhat new phenomenon in football.

Just out of curiosity, what evidence would that be?

A somewhat new phenomenon, but for players at Lamela's age it's very common. I think he suits playing on the right a lot better than he does on the left. If we play a 4-3-3 "without a no.10" it seems to me very likely that his most natural position would be on the right.

You don't buy a player like Lamela so he can run to the byline and whip in crosses.

I'll be very surprised to see him on the left. In the centre of an attacking 3 or more likely on the right imo.

The trouble with playing inverted wide players is the defenders just show them inside to a crowded midfield every time.

Bale was exceptional in that he was reasonably two footed and very quick and strong, so he could still do damage stepping inside.

The trouble with playing inverted wide players is the defenders just show them inside to a crowded midfield every time.

Bale was exceptional in that he was reasonably two footed and very quick and strong, so he could still do damage stepping inside.

Bale was more one footed than the vast majority of inverted wide forwards imo. Lamela also seems fairly one footed, but no more so than Bale from what I've seen.

Some of the best players in some of the biggest clubs in the world play as inside forwards cutting inside onto their strongest foot. It's certainly not a case of "just showing them inside to a crowded midfield every time" to stop them.

Not at all optimistic about this season from what I've seen so far.

Soldado was the wrong signing. Not mobile enough, doesn't stretch the play at all. We should have gone all out for Benteke.

Eriksen or Lamela will have to play behind Soldado or else he'll continually be isolated like he was yesterday.

Just out of curiosity, what evidence would that be?

I'm not sure it makes sense that Roma saw Lamela playing at No. 10 for River Plate and thought to themselves: "He looks like a natural outside right." Much more likely they were impressed by his No. 10 play and eyed him as a long term replacement for Totti. We see that here:

By 17, Lamela would be strutting his stuff in the first XI of the country's biggest club, demonstrating an outrageous talent that had him named as the heir to Pablo Aimar, Andrés D'Alessandro and a wealth of famous number 10s to pass through the Estadio Monumental.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...outing-report-tottenham-2207790#ixzz2djdwwxjE

At Roma he then shifted position to the right to accomodate Totti, where he excelled, but that doesn't mean it's his natural or favoured position.

Other evidence includes Totti's quote about Lamela being his heir, which may just be hype or it may be his genuine opinion (and he's known not to talk in tongues by the Roma fans). There's also the fact that Lamela starting his career at No. 10 and moving outside as he develops runs counter to the normal development of top young players, who tend to gravitate inside with time (Bale being a example). Lamela should be moving in as he grows, not out.

I do think the evidence is there to suggest No. 10 is every bit as "natural" to him as playing on the right.

Bale was more one footed than the vast majority of inverted wide forwards imo. Lamela also seems fairly one footed, but no more so than Bale from what I've seen.

Some of the best players in some of the biggest clubs in the world play as inside forwards cutting inside onto their strongest foot. It's certainly not a case of "just showing them inside to a crowded midfield every time" to stop them.

You are right it is not that simple, but I think it helps defenders to know they are not likely to be taken on up the line, and if they are then it is less likely to be a productive cross at the end.
The best option is truly two footed players - sadly there aren't that many, and the good ones command a premium.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it makes sense that Roma saw Lamela playing at No. 10 for River Plate and thought to themselves: "He looks like a natural outside right." Much more likely they were impressed by his No. 10 play and eyed him as a long term replacement for Totti. We see that here:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...outing-report-tottenham-2207790#ixzz2djdwwxjE

At Roma he then shifted position to the right to accomodate Totti, where he excelled, but that doesn't mean it's his natural or favoured position.

Other evidence includes Totti's quote about Lamela being his heir, which may just be hype or it may be his genuine opinion (and he's known not to talk in tongues by the Roma fans). There's also the fact that Lamela starting his career at No. 10 and moving outside as he develops runs counter to the normal development of top young players, who tend to gravitate inside with time (Bale being a example). Lamela should be moving in as he grows, not out.

I do think the evidence is there to suggest No. 10 is every bit as "natural" to him as playing on the right.

I hope so. We need a #10.

Sad to say avb got his line up wrong- dembele hasnt done eniugh to earn his starting spot this year and we were crying out for some flair. I would habe gone with holtby ahead of pauly n capooe/ dembele to providd that link up. The defoe sub didnt work as it didnt address the key problem- of link up play in ghe final third.

Cheers for the info.

I'm not in any way saying that he's more natural wide right than as the no. 10. Just that it seems that he can play both very well.

You are right it is not that simple, but I think it helps defenders to know they are not likely to be taken on up the line, and if they are then it is less likely to be a productive cross at the end.
The best option is truly two footed players - sadly there aren't that many, and the goo ones command a premium.

It also helps defenders to know that players are unlikely to cut inside if they are playing as more traditional wingers and if they do they're unlikely to deliver a good shot.

An inverted winger also has the advantage of coming on to the weakest foot of most full backs.

An inverted winger fits a lot better with the properly attacking full backs that are becoming increasingly common.

I like the first team you posted diego. Alhough personally I still prefer Dembele to Paulinho. I wish Benny was in the team too but that's not happening.

:eek:

Really? I have to say I am very rarely impressed by him, does he ever pass the ball forwards??? He does exactly what Jenas used to get slated for, only he doesn't score the goals that Jenas used to. Technically he is excellent, great strength, great at shielding the ball but he seems completely incapable or unwilling to move forward or play a forward pass. He drops his shoulder, beats the man, and then promptly passes it back again. So frustrating!!

:eek:

Really? I have to say I am very rarely impressed by him, does he ever pass the ball forwards??? He does exactly what Jenas used to get slated for, only he doesn't score the goals that Jenas used to. Technically he is excellent, great strength, great at shielding the ball but he seems completely incapable or unwilling to move forward or play a forward pass. He drops his shoulder, beats the man, and then promptly passes it back again. So frustrating!!

Spot on. He drifts past players with ease making you think he could probably do a mazy dribble and smash it in the net every game, but then he rarely bothers, preferring instead to pass it sideways or back. Maybe he got told off by AVB for playing out of position.

Not seen anybody mention it thus far but why not:

------ Soldado ------ Lamela -------
---------------- Eriksen
------- Holtby ------- Paulinho
---------------- Sandro
Rose --- Verts --- Kaboul -- Walker
----------------- Lloris

Would allow our Fullbacks all the space they could dream of to get forward

I think as Holtby continues to gain fitness and actually look good while doing it, the shape of the team is perhaps taking an interesting twist. As Stobart confirmed the other day about what AVB said in regards to 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 with a no.10, it looks as though with the number of attacking midfielders, wide forwards and wingers in the squad, that 4-2-3-1 may well suit us for the majority of games. But I can see him reverting back to this 4-3-3 against Arsenal. Had we not conceded a sloppy goal it would have been very interesting to see the shape of the game on Sunday

-----------------Lloris--------------------
Walker--Kaboul-----Vertonghen---Rose
----------Sandro-----Paulinho----------
---Lamela------Holtby-------Eriksen----
-----------------Soldado-----------------

This on paper looks as though it has creativity through the side, with the right mix of solidity. I do wonder about the pace. With Townsend and Lennon available too, it may be an option for those difficult games where we are looking to be swift on the counter.

I don't know how you can look at that team and not get excited tbh. The future is very bright. It might take a little bit of patience, but this is a new cycle and whilst time is not often a luxury we have, I think we have our part to play as fans to ensure we don't turn on this young side and let them blossom because potentially it is frightening just how good they could be.

---------------- Eriksen
---------------- Sandro
----------------- Lloris

Lamela I would imagine would always look to drop deeper to pick up the ball, meaning the shape wouldn't be too dissimilar to a 4-1-4-1 or some variant of that. I think in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, it is very much AVB's intention to have the full back's raiding forward.

I think that with Lamela, Eriksen and Chadli behind Soldado there won't be a very rigid formation in place. I think they'll swap around and not attack the same spaces all the time. This is where Lennon's biggest problem is for me, if we are going down this route we won't see much of him. He's shown time and time again that he's completely ineffective when not played on the right. I think he'll be relegated to an impact sub who we can bring on to run at tired leftbacks.

I actually think Chadli has a lot to offer. I'm quite liking him. Thought he could beat Jenkinson no problem the other day, and he is huge. Wins a lot of headers. Just needs some end product.

---------------- Eriksen
---------------- Sandro
----------------- Lloris

Which teams these days do you think play a formation like this?

Not being a sarky dingdonghead, just wondering as I think it's pretty rare to see that and so I think it's unlikely to happen any time soon.

Back