1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Tactics Thread

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by diego_maradona, 1 Sep 2013.

1. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Micky Hazard

So disciplined
    It worked a treat

2. Bedfordspurs

Fully agree about the last part. We can’t target 1 nil wins every game and that strike force plus the midfield isn’t a goal scoring machine unfortunately.

3. Bullet

Bullet Steffen Freund

Note also that in training, Nuno has been working on width and sharp crosses (not big looping crosses from deep, I mean getting towards the byline and firing it across or picking a man out) when facing a set defence.

So yesterday was a massively different system of sitting back and breaking at pace against a defence that was very much NOT set.

Pep should have played Kyle Walker, that guy is incredible at stopping breakaways.

Did you notice how Ake just let Son control it and drift along and wait and slowly cut inside and shoot and all the while Ake just let him do it. He is not a great centre back.

4. Raziel

Raziel Paul Walsh

One of the games we played them under Jose, Walker was the sole reason we didn't completely destroy them.

Son fudging mugged Ake and absolutely deceived Dias (who is a very good CB) with the flight of the ball

5. braineclipse

braineclipse Gary Stevens

Wonder how much difference Walker would have made against them on Sunday... I think quite a bit.

6. Raziel

Raziel Paul Walsh

Not sure he would have made a difference going forward (he seems a lot less attacking inclined nowadays, including for England), but his recovery pace would have probably cut some of our counters out (as it was Fernandinho was a pain)

But we could make the same argument re starting with Romero, Lo Celso & Kane

7. braineclipse

Agreed on going forward.

Not looking to make excuses for them. Just curious. No doubt Walker would have eaten up some of our counter attacking, but we did break quite a bit through the centre and somewhat to the right so I just don't know how much of an impact he would have had.

8. Modric THFC

Modric THFC Christian Ziege

Here's what he was trying to do with the 343 in the opening game

Steve Holland, Conte's assistant at Chelsea talking about the 343 Conte played there

Hotspur75 and Kandi1977 like this.
  9. Bullet

Bullet Steffen Freund

Thanks ModricTHFC, that is a very good and very clear video.

In a nutshell Cheatski, City, Pool and England all endeavour (when attacking) to get a front 5 all in a line, changing depth and causing problems and posing questions. 5 players all designated to attack.

Behind them is a 2-3 or a 3-2 designated to defend and recycle. Each team moves differently depending on the players strengths and weaknesses e.g. if your full backs are dynamic wingers, get them up the pitch, if your attacking wide players are wingers, let them be wingers, if your DM is naturally a decent centre back (like Dier in early Poch) then the DM can form a back 3.

This really illustrates how you can adapt your movements based on the personnel, yet still arrive with an attacking 235 or 325.
    Interesting he mentions Dele in the England section, albeit after mentioning 3 other options Barkley(!) Mount Maddison.

10. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Andy Thompson

11. Kandi1977

Kandi1977 Les Howe

Thanks for sharing! Very interesting. I'm sure Conte will find a way to implement this, and finding the right setup that will suit the players best. Given the players we have, I think there are several ways to do it, which is good, as there will always be players that are unavailable.

metalgear likes this.
  12. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Andy Thompson

13. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Andy Thompson

14. Bedfordspurs

Did help that we put the ball in the net for them twice though

15. Bullet

Bullet Steffen Freund

Some interesting videos and posts on this thread.
    Worth a watch.
    I bumped the thread to mention how disjointed our pressing is and how passive our 'tackling' is, very meh.

metalgear likes this.
  16. braineclipse

I think our pressing is getting quite a lot better. But it's usually not a high pressing system, we only do that in phases or particular situations.

We do also sit back deeper quite a bit. But I think when our pressing looks disjointed now it might at times be working more or less as planned?

I think it's more about controlling where opponents build up, we often more or less leve a pass available, but it's the pass we want to be available if that makes sense.

What we're seeing a lot less of imo are 2-3 players pressing fairly high, but alone, getting easily bypassed and thus we're not really balanced in midfield as teams progress. It still happens, but not as often it bugs me when it does happen because it's so pointless.

Even against a very good Chelsea team we mostly conceded chances from individual errors, not through poor pressing. Steps in the right direction at least.

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  17. Bullet

Bullet Steffen Freund

Thanks brainy. Three things catch my eye:
    1) When Kane presses, usually with Son or Moura, he is just wasting energy. They pass around him 99.99% of the time. Could use his energy better elsewhere. He is a big unit, not well suited to 100 shuttle runs per game with zero effect. Perhaps he is forcing them to pass to their worst player, but I doubt it.
    2) When we face up an opponent we jockey them and try to cut off a passing lane, but we rarely actually go and tackle them; we get within 2 yards and stop still to let them choose what to do. This is in stark contrast to other teams who run straight into us and smash us off the ball.
    3) The centre backs always dictate how squeezed the game is; if they squeeze up we can press, if not we are just wasting energy. Therefore there is a massive onus on Dier to decide whether to drop or squeeze the play. It is a really vital position and perhaps we don't appreciate how vital it is. Earlier today I listened to Mark Hateley talking about his time at AC Milan; Franco Baresi would be deepest and at certain moments would whistle and step up the pitch and everyone had to stay ahead of him or face his wrath.

metalgear likes this.
  18. metalgear

metalgear Jack Jull

Don't think Kane is at 100% when he presses and good to keep him limber when the right opportunity presents.

Totally agree on #2 and #3. Onus on Dier to support the attack from the back but also choosing the right moments and /or phases in the game. It's one way to control play.

I would add #4... We lack shots outside the penalty box. Kane, Moura are perfect to pounce on ensuing chaos

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

19. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

4-2-3-1. Time to get the band back together. We just don't have the players for 3-4-3

metalgear likes this.
  20. DubSpur

DubSpur Tim Sherwood

But we do for 3-5-2

LemonadeMoney and Bedfordspurs like this.