1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Tactics Thread

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by diego_maradona, 1 Sep 2013.

1. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Steve Sedgley

Their skint
    Then and Barca have less money than us
    It will get worse for them with no gate receipts much like us

2. parklane1

parklane1 Les Howe

Well i guess we will see ( or not if he stays), but i have no doubt that if he wants out he will get the move to a top club.

3. StephenH

StephenH Chris Jones

But Real are mad and backed by some nefarious funds.

4. Bedfordspurs

Their not
    That’s the issue

5. milo

milo Mel Hopkins Staff Member

There are only a handful of clubs who could afford him. I can't see him kicking up a fuss to leave and he'll be moving sideways if he lets his contract run down.

I'm not ruling out him leaving but I think a combination of age, injuries and the fee won't give him a lot of options.

6. milo

milo Mel Hopkins Staff Member

Are they going to want a 28 year old Kane?

7. Bedfordspurs

Not for £200m

glasgowspur and StephenH like this.
  8. Diamond Lights

Diamond Lights Thimotée Atouba

Seeing as this is the tactics thread, thought i'd throw my two pence in. As many journalists have already thrown out (and may already have been stated a few pages back i didn't check as i'm lazy), for me, we HAVE to look at 3-4-3 formation (which Conte used to win the title a few years back).

We seem to have most of the players in the relevant positions to support this, we also have to stop this lopsided attack down the right that every man and his dog knows we use. Makes us far too easy to play against and no Plan B.

Sanchez --- Dier --- Toby (Tanganga/Foyth)
    Doherty (Gedson) Reguilon (Davies)
    PEH (Winks/Sissoko) Lo Celso (Lamela/Dele)
    Bale (Lucas) Kane (fudge All) Son (Bergwijn)

I think we're crying out for something different, and on paper that looks tasty AF. But whether Jose will adjust or not who knows... Also this 3-4-3 can be so adaptive, push Dier up to support the midfield if losing the battle, can adjust to 5-3-2 or 4-4-2 etc so easily.

What worries me even if we sign Bale, is we have absolutely zero attacking threat. Look at the stats of recent goals by Son (2 goals in 10), Lucas (0 in 16), Bergwijn (0 in 9), Dele (1 in 14 - a peno). We clearly have decent attacking options but the tactics clearly negate our attacking threat massively. Something has to change, otherwise we'll just get Bale in and keep doing the same brick, that's my concern.

ShipOfTheseus likes this.
  9. elltrev

elltrev Niko Kranjcar

In fairness our wonky formation basically is a 3-4-3 in possession, except with Son on the left rather than Reguilon. So I’m not sure a 3-4-3 would be any less predictable. Personally I think our issue is our lack of passers, not our formation.

Last edited: 17 Sep 2020
    ricky2tricky4city and AdamB like this.
  10. braineclipse

braineclipse Chris Jones

Definitely interesting to think about how we would line up with Bale and Reguilon...

Can't help but think that with a more attacking left back and Bale who isn't exactly known for working his socks off defensively we'd be asking a lot from our central midfield defensively. Getting a lot defensively without losing creativity has been an ongoing problem for years with this bunch and PEH isn't at a level where he will singlehandedly change that.

Where does Alli fit in? What about Ndombele?

Mourinho will have his work cut out for him, regardless of signings obviously, but expectations will rise and the demands for quick success with it.

elltrev likes this.
  11. AdamB

AdamB Les Medley

Agree with that, but with GLC back in CM and with Bale, Son and Reguilon all being able to beat a man with pace/dribbling, I think it compensates.

12. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Jimmy Neighbour

Don't see him playing an extra defender in a 3, that means 1 less player somewhere else from areas we are well stocked with options.

Our full backs can be just as attacking with 2 CHs just as rose walker or trippier were. Get the midfield right and if our two new FBs show the promise I expect and we'll be alright in a 433 4141 or diamond imo.

As long as we can get all these players actually playing we have numerous options and flexibility.

elltrev likes this.
  13. Diamond Lights

I think Jose will stick with his system, but then that begs the point in my post above, how is signing Bale going to transform us attacking tactically.

Son (2 goals in 10), Lucas (0 in 16), Bergwijn (0 in 9), Dele (1 in 14 - a peno)

Sticking Bale in, if we don't attack, won't change much?

14. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Jimmy Neighbour

As has been said in other threads we just need to get the new boys on the pitch, we've got little impact from all the signings since last summer. You'd want Ndombele and La Celso to be creative and the two new FBs to be forward focussed as well all leading to much more link up with the front 3 or 4.

15. Diamond Lights

No offence but if that's all we needed, why are we paying Jose £15m then? Get Harry Redknapp in to tell them to "run around a bit" no?

We're paying top dollars for Jose, we cannot have 3 goals in 40 odd games from Son, Bergwijn, Dele and Moura. That to me reads as a tactical problem, not a 'bit of creativity' problem?