• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tactics Thread

United are skint. They borrowed money like we did and they can’t afford sancho
That’s it for the U.K.
And the in Europe it’s PSG which no player would sign for with a ambition as their a one horse club

Well i guess we will see ( or not if he stays), but i have no doubt that if he wants out he will get the move to a top club.

He will cost a fortune to buy i agree, but we all know/have seen over several years that there are clubs around in Europe and here that they always find a way of false accounting and will spend what ever it costs.

Do not get me wrong i hope he ends his days here but i really can not see it, unless we start winning a lot of things over the next year or two ( we live in hope).

There are only a handful of clubs who could afford him. I can't see him kicking up a fuss to leave and he'll be moving sideways if he lets his contract run down.

I'm not ruling out him leaving but I think a combination of age, injuries and the fee won't give him a lot of options.

Seeing as this is the tactics thread, thought i'd throw my two pence in. As many journalists have already thrown out (and may already have been stated a few pages back i didn't check as i'm lazy), for me, we HAVE to look at 3-4-3 formation (which Conte used to win the title a few years back).

We seem to have most of the players in the relevant positions to support this, we also have to stop this lopsided attack down the right that every man and his dog knows we use. Makes us far too easy to play against and no Plan B.

Sanchez --- Dier --- Toby (Tanganga/Foyth)
Doherty (Gedson) Reguilon (Davies)
PEH (Winks/Sissoko) Lo Celso (Lamela/Dele)
Bale (Lucas) Kane (fudge All) Son (Bergwijn)

I think we're crying out for something different, and on paper that looks tasty AF. But whether Jose will adjust or not who knows... Also this 3-4-3 can be so adaptive, push Dier up to support the midfield if losing the battle, can adjust to 5-3-2 or 4-4-2 etc so easily.

What worries me even if we sign Bale, is we have absolutely zero attacking threat. Look at the stats of recent goals by Son (2 goals in 10), Lucas (0 in 16), Bergwijn (0 in 9), Dele (1 in 14 - a peno). We clearly have decent attacking options but the tactics clearly negate our attacking threat massively. Something has to change, otherwise we'll just get Bale in and keep doing the same brick, that's my concern.

Seeing as this is the tactics thread, thought i'd throw my two pence in. As many journalists have already thrown out (and may already have been stated a few pages back i didn't check as i'm lazy), for me, we HAVE to look at 3-4-3 formation (which Conte used to win the title a few years back).

We seem to have most of the players in the relevant positions to support this, we also have to stop this lopsided attack down the right that every man and his dog knows we use. Makes us far too easy to play against and no Plan B.

Sanchez --- Dier --- Toby (Tanganga/Foyth)
Doherty (Gedson) Reguilon (Davies)
PEH (Winks/Sissoko) Lo Celso (Lamela/Dele)
Bale (Lucas) Kane (fudge All) Son (Bergwijn)

I think we're crying out for something different, and on paper that looks tasty AF. But whether Jose will adjust or not who knows... Also this 3-4-3 can be so adaptive, push Dier up to support the midfield if losing the battle, can adjust to 5-3-2 or 4-4-2 etc so easily.

What worries me even if we sign Bale, is we have absolutely zero attacking threat. Look at the stats of recent goals by Son (2 goals in 10), Lucas (0 in 16), Bergwijn (0 in 9), Dele (1 in 14 - a peno). We clearly have decent attacking options but the tactics clearly negate our attacking threat massively. Something has to change, otherwise we'll just get Bale in and keep doing the same brick, that's my concern.

In fairness our wonky formation basically is a 3-4-3 in possession, except with Son on the left rather than Reguilon. So I’m not sure a 3-4-3 would be any less predictable. Personally I think our issue is our lack of passers, not our formation.

Last edited:
Definitely interesting to think about how we would line up with Bale and Reguilon...

Can't help but think that with a more attacking left back and Bale who isn't exactly known for working his socks off defensively we'd be asking a lot from our central midfield defensively. Getting a lot defensively without losing creativity has been an ongoing problem for years with this bunch and PEH isn't at a level where he will singlehandedly change that.

Where does Alli fit in? What about Ndombele?

Mourinho will have his work cut out for him, regardless of signings obviously, but expectations will rise and the demands for quick success with it.

Don't see him playing an extra defender in a 3, that means 1 less player somewhere else from areas we are well stocked with options.

Our full backs can be just as attacking with 2 CHs just as rose walker or trippier were. Get the midfield right and if our two new FBs show the promise I expect and we'll be alright in a 433 4141 or diamond imo.

As long as we can get all these players actually playing we have numerous options and flexibility.

Don't see him playing an extra defender in a 3, that means 1 less player somewhere else from areas we are well stocked with options.

Our full backs can be just as attacking with 2 CHs just as rose walker or trippier were. Get the midfield right and if our two new FBs show the promise I expect and we'll be alright in a 433 4141 or diamond imo.

As long as we can get all these players actually playing we have numerous options and flexibility.

I think Jose will stick with his system, but then that begs the point in my post above, how is signing Bale going to transform us attacking tactically.

Son (2 goals in 10), Lucas (0 in 16), Bergwijn (0 in 9), Dele (1 in 14 - a peno)

Sticking Bale in, if we don't attack, won't change much?

I think Jose will stick with his system, but then that begs the point in my post above, how is signing Bale going to transform us attacking tactically.

Son (2 goals in 10), Lucas (0 in 16), Bergwijn (0 in 9), Dele (1 in 14 - a peno)

Sticking Bale in, if we don't attack, won't change much?
As has been said in other threads we just need to get the new boys on the pitch, we've got little impact from all the signings since last summer. You'd want Ndombele and La Celso to be creative and the two new FBs to be forward focussed as well all leading to much more link up with the front 3 or 4.

As has been said in other threads we just need to get the new boys on the pitch, we've got little impact from all the signings since last summer. You'd want Ndombele and La Celso to be creative and the two new FBs to be forward focussed as well all leading to much more link up with the front 3 or 4.

No offence but if that's all we needed, why are we paying Jose £15m then? Get Harry Redknapp in to tell them to "run around a bit" no?

We're paying top dollars for Jose, we cannot have 3 goals in 40 odd games from Son, Bergwijn, Dele and Moura. That to me reads as a tactical problem, not a 'bit of creativity' problem?

Thanks for posting Steve. Probably no massive revelations, but it is a timely reminder that a team can be built in MANY different ways; it is all about blending what you have and making the most of what you have, rather than forcing square pegs into round holes.

Back