• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tactics Thread

Those tactics would give VVD a man of the match performance and see us with about 15% possession.

Possession stats are bloody meaningless, it's what you do with the ball when you've got it that matter. The media were brainwashed by Monsieur Magoo down at Woolwich who trotted that stat out when he didn't get a result but wanted to prove his team should have won and he was right as usual.

Possession stats are bloody meaningless, it's what you do with the ball when you've got it that matter. The media were brainwashed by Monsieur Magoo down at Woolwich who trotted that stat out when he didn't get a result but wanted to prove his team should have won and he was right as usual.
Who was the last team to win a match against a team and only having 15% possession?

You can't score if you don't have the ball. A handy side effect of that is neither can the opposition when you have it.

Who was the last team to win a match against a team and only having 15% possession?

You can't score if you don't have the ball. A handy side effect of that is neither can the opposition when you have it.
Virtually none but that was a random number you selected to emphasise your point, but we've all seen too many games where we have dominated possession and not got a result.

Virtually none but that was a random number you selected to emphasise your point, but we've all seen too many games where we have dominated possession and not got a result.
In that case I'll pose another question.

Can you think of a PL defender more suited to being a massive fudging lump and heading away long balls all day than VVD? There's not many.

In that case I'll pose another question.

Can you think of a PL defender more suited to being a massive fudging lump and heading away long balls all day than VVD? There's not many.

No that's his strength, got to pull him around and make him run to areas he does want to be in.

No that's his strength, got to pull him around and make him run to areas he does want to be in.
By lumping the ball at him?

Surely we'll need possession to pull them out of shape, and we won't have possession if we're playing route one football.

By lumping the ball at him?

Surely we'll need possession to pull them out of shape, and we won't have possession if we're playing route one football.

Sorry but I can't see where I suggest that, I always understood you pull players out of position by movement and passing quickly, if you had read anything I've ever said about Llorente you will see I say we can't play that long ball game to him as it buggers up our whole playing system, but you can twist it whatever way you like. I sometimes think you are Adrian Durham and just write things for effect.

I think we can win by setting by overloading their fullbacks like Wolves and Palace tried to do. Start with Moura up front then bring on Kane depending on the score

......................Lloris

Tripper....Alderweireld....Vertonghen....Rose

............. Sissoko.....Winks

Eriksen...............Alli...............Son

.....................Moura

And has been much of the season...

We have lacked cutting edge all year. How many hundreds of shots have gone straight at the keeper? How many obvious goal scoring chances missed because of a bad decision?

I might re-watch it. I was down the pub Saturday night and felt that we did bypass the press well at times but Kane, Eriksen and Dele did little with it after that. Oh and Liverpool looked too tired to press from the front from the hour mark onwards (as has been the case in our last few games with them).

Something I found interesting about the second half was how Poch adjusted the system to provide width. One part of that was forcing Lamela, Sissoko and then Moura out wide with the defensive solidity in midfield coming from KWP and to a lesser extent Rose sitting narrow and either side of Winks.

That change suited KWP to the ground as his biggest strength imo is his tidy footwork. He was asked to play almost as a midfielder and share the burden of moving the ball quickly up to the winger and spend less time trying to be something he isn't, a Kyle Walker/TAA lung bursting, jet heeled runner. There were still times he found himself up there, but they were more the exception than the rule. Neither Foyth nor Davies match the athletic FB profile, but are both tidy with the ball. Sessegnon too might suit this role equally well as he's got a very good head on his shoulders for one so young.

It's an interesting pivot to the usual positioning that we expect to see from this system under Poch.

We should and could start the game with more pace and circulation of players up top. Maybe it's too many first Xi players out and the resulting lack of confidence. But it was a pain to watch a CL finalist struggling with a recently promoted squad. (not apples comparison, but irks emotionally)

Sent from my SM-T835 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Good article, goes into what some of us were saying about the formation.

Look at Kane's movement v Moura's for example, madness by Poch. And in general way too narrow in the diamond. I still don't understand why we think playing through the middle against a parked bus is ever going to work. Not a fan of our long ball out to the full back and hope he does something tactic either, we're much much better than that.

Schermafbeelding-2019-08-11-om-20.00.29.png

Good article, goes into what some of us were saying about the formation.

Look at Kane's movement v Moura's for example, madness by Poch. And in general way too narrow in the diamond. I still don't understand why we think playing through the middle against a parked bus is ever going to work. Not a fan of our long ball out to the full back and hope he does something tactic either, we're much much better than that.

Schermafbeelding-2019-08-11-om-20.00.29.png

It’s not a DIAMOND.... it’s a flat 3 midfield that randomly had one player 5 yards forward

It’s a shoddy 4-3-3 which doesn’t work

Said it during the game, the full backs were further forward than any midfielder and pretty much every other than moura

The big change was start of second half Moura hugged right and Lamela hugged the left touchline. We doubled up on their wide areas and it created overloads

We should and could start the game with more pace and circulation of players up top. Maybe it's too many first Xi players out and the resulting lack of confidence. But it was a pain to watch a CL finalist struggling with a recently promoted squad. (not apples comparison, but irks emotionally)

Sent from my SM-T835 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Against weak teams we don’t need 3 CMs... least of all ones where their strengths overlap

It’s not a DIAMOND.... it’s a flat 3 midfield that randomly had one player 5 yards forward

It’s a shoddy 4-3-3 which doesn’t work

Said it during the game, the full backs were further forward than any midfielder and pretty much every other than moura

The big change was start of second half Moura hugged right and Lamela hugged the left touchline. We doubled up on their wide areas and it created overloads
There really isn't any tangible difference between a 4-3-3 with a deep midfielder and one of the forwards sitting deep and a 4-4-2 diamond.

There really isn't any tangible difference between a 4-3-3 with a deep midfielder and one of the forwards sitting deep and a 4-4-2 diamond.

Exactly, I'm not sure what the debate actually is? Winks was deepest of the midfield and Lamela was in front of them. To be a 4-3-3- you need 3 strikers. We had two. My post and the pass map above it both show this clearly.

Back