• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Supporting English teams in Europe

No, I would never support someone like Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea in Europe. I want them to lose. Always. I don't understand some people's logic of 'having' to support English teams just becuase they are playing some team from Belgium

I've a feeling this possibly goes back to the way European games were televised back in the day.
They only showed European football if English teams were involved.

I generally like English teams to do reasonably well in Europe - Arsenal being the sole exception. I'm even indifferent to Chelsea these days.

I'm also with a few others on here in preferring Man Utd to the other regular English CL representatives. So I would always support them if they were drawn against the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea and City.

I'm quite happy to see Arsenal go all the way only to lose in the final, normally at the hands of a former Spur (Nayim '95, Popescu 2000). I remember a mate of mine being thoroughly disgusted when I went mental at that Seaman lob, he was a patriotic, non-footie chap and just didnt get it.

Also good for us when our rivals progress because of the whole coefficient thing, and it means another front for them to battle on.
Doesnt bother me too much if Man U win CLs, I found Liverpool in the 80s to be far more arrogant and quite frankly I'd love it if Fergie knocked them off their 5 European Cups perch too. Even Chelsea, they dont bother me as much as Arsenal. So I'm indifferent to the three of them in the CL.
I don't want to see Emirates Marketing Project do well at all, in anything. They're just wrong.

Stoke, Fulham, Birmingham, dont really care about that sort of team in the UEFA Cup. Nice to see them do well but I dont think I watched Fulhams final, or Boros.

It's a real shame though. I remember how interesting it was to follow English (and even Scottish) clubs in all competitions in the 80s, and even the 90s to a degree. But the whole CL thing has just distorted it all.

Basically I support Spurs and teams who are playing in Europe that I don't dislike i.e. Fulham. I would openly root against Emirates Marketing Project, United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and even Stoke no matter who they are playing.

Basically I support Spurs and teams who are playing in Europe that I don't dislike i.e. Fulham. I would openly root against Emirates Marketing Project, United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and even Stoke no matter who they are playing.

You dislike alot of teams huh? I like Fulham theyre so inoffensive. The rest can suck my dingdong

Obviously I always want Arsenal to lose, because they are scum.

As for the other 'big clubs', these are clubs that we are competing with (or should be aiming to compete with). If they perform well in Europe, they will benefit financial and in terms of prestige/reputation. That's bad for us. So from a Spurs-centric point of view, I want them to lose.

If smaller clubs play in Europe (e.g. Fulham in the UEFA cup a few years ago), I will wish them well.

You dislike alot of teams huh? I like Fulham theyre so inoffensive. The rest can suck my dingdong

It just so happens that the most of the English teams that play in Europe are the ones that I dislike. I'd root for Everton and possibly a team like Sunderland, but there's not many other than that.

Im generally apathetic when it comes to other teams in Europe. I dont want Arsenal or Chelsea to do well and always cheer for whoever they are playing. The AC Milan and Napoli matches were brilliant. I didnt want Emirates Marketing Project to qualify from their group in the champions league as they (alot of their fans) were so dismissive of our acheivments last season though i dont really care what they do in the Europa league. As far as i'm concerned considering the money they have spent they failed this year. Any other team i just watch and hope for a good game but i certainly dont cheer anyone else on as their acheivements dont mean anything to me.

fudge em all want em to lose every European game going if they aint spurs and english dont understand this whole Getting behind the english team for sake of it! As for off the pitch hope they all have a good time and do what theh have to etc unless they support a certain mob from west london then as far as im concerned their fair game to whatever the locals have in store

If Spurs are not playing, it is always Anything But English for me. I will support any team who beat these English teams and will hate all teams that lose to them. Love Barcelona for beating English teams in 3 of the last 6 CL finals. Really hated Bayern Munich and AC Milan for many years after they lost to ManU and Liverpool in the CL Final. The way both of them lost after outclassing their opponents is hard to forgive and forget.

Fortunately, apart from Liverpool and us, English teams are shyte in Europe anyway.

I stopped supporting English teams in Europe when they started putting out teams that had no English players in them

For all the myopic silliness about other teams, I would like to see Brum and Stoke do a bit of a Fulham, because they both have loyal fans, no glory hunting, just honest to goodness fan bases.

I always enjoy seeing the goons do badly in Europe, and the final against barca was so good on so many levels, its just a pity they couldn't have been winning for longer, before the rug was pulled out. Unlike some, I don't believe that they are scum.

I simply prefer to think of them as worthless.

Never fails to amaze me how some of you lot hate other teams, because they have fans who are as passionate, colourblind (shirts not skin) and short sighted as you all are about Spurs - about their own team. Do you seriously expect them to be loyal supporters, but have an unholy love and respect for Spurs and their fans?

If it means they (Man Utd/Chelsea/Emirates Marketing Project/ArseAnal) take their eye off the league by being distracted with Europe, then meh, go on, let them win a few games...

In fact, when they introduced the ridiculous rule of CL teams who didn't qualify then dropping into the Europa League I didn't mind TOO much if ArseAnal at least got out of the CL group stage (unless they were prepared to finish bottom and bomb out of Europe altogether!) so that they WOULDN'T get into the UEFA Cup, as I think they'd probably be able to have won that at least once... so yeah, maybe that's the limit of my 'support' of other English teams in Europe; to go out in the knock-out stages by all means

...but definitely not win the fudging tournament, that would be unbearable!!

My 'support' for English teams in European games depends entirely on who is playing. I absolutely hate with a passion the scum and the blue scum, so I always want them to lose every game they play, except when the play each other in which case I hope that the scum lose. Therefore, in European games I would always cheer on the foreign opposition, no matter who they were.

I have always like Man Utd, they play great football and have had lots of players over the years who I have greatly admired, so I will usually cheer them on. It used to be the same for Liverpool, but over the last few years I've come to really dislike them so I doubt I'd cheer them on, but wouldn't necessarily care either way. I don't like Stoke so couldn't give a toss about them winning or losing in Europe, but I did get behind Fulham when they had that great run in Europe a couple of years ago, because I liked them as a team and they were very entertaining.

I don't hate Emirates Marketing Project enough (yet) to really be wanting them to lose in Europe, so to an extent I don't really care so long as they don't end up winning the Europa league, which would just make their fans even more intolerably smug.

My 'support' for English teams in European games depends entirely on who is playing. I absolutely hate with a passion the scum and the blue scum, so I always want them to lose every game they play, except when the play each other in which case I hope that the scum lose. Therefore, in European games I would always cheer on the foreign opposition, no matter who they were.

I have always like Man Utd, they play great football and have had lots of players over the years who I have greatly admired, so I will usually cheer them on. It used to be the same for Liverpool, but over the last few years I've come to really dislike them so I doubt I'd cheer them on, but wouldn't necessarily care either way. I don't like Stoke so couldn't give a toss about them winning or losing in Europe, but I did get behind Fulham when they had that great run in Europe a couple of years ago, because I liked them as a team and they were very entertaining.

I don't hate Emirates Marketing Project enough (yet) to really be wanting them to lose in Europe, so to an extent I don't really care so long as they don't end up winning the Europa league, which would just make their fans even more intolerably smug.

Is that actually achievable?

I stopped supporting English teams in Europe when they started putting out teams that had no English players in them

For all the myopic silliness about other teams, I would like to see Brum and Stoke do a bit of a Fulham, because they both have loyal fans, no glory hunting, just honest to goodness fan bases.

I always enjoy seeing the goons do badly in Europe, and the final against barca was so good on so many levels, its just a pity they couldn't have been winning for longer, before the rug was pulled out. Unlike some, I don't believe that they are scum.

I simply prefer to think of them as worthless.

Never fails to amaze me how some of you lot hate other teams, because they have fans who are as passionate, colourblind (shirts not skin) and short sighted as you all are about Spurs - about their own team. Do you seriously expect them to be loyal supporters, but have an unholy love and respect for Spurs and their fans?

I think many Emirates Marketing Project/Scouser/Gooner fans actually seem to hate Spurs more than they love their clubs!

As I said, I love Spurs....the passion and pride I feel is crazy! Seems to be getting more as I get older, and that means I want every other team in England to fail horribly.

Even though the chances of Arsenal or Chelsea winning the CL were slim, I was happy to see them lose as if they won it, it could mean they could finish 5th or 6th and 4th place would not be enough to qualify for the CL. Hopefully we wouldnt end up in 4th but its not impossible.

Back