• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Supporting English teams in Europe

Park Lane James

Andy Sinton
Going through midweek threads etc regarding European fixtures, it seems as though we want the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal etc to get a pasting on the continent. I do as well, my dislike of them is so strong that my patriotism cannot will me to see them celebrating a win against foreign opposition. Am I right in thinking that this is the way of the modern football supporter? Reading up on the Heysel Disaster a few weeks ago, I came across an account from a Liverpool fan who had bought tickets from the stadium many hours before kick-off - and encountered an Arsenal fan on his own also trying to get a ticket and have a look around the trophy cabinet at the stadium. He then went on to say that fans of other English clubs were a common sight for European cup finals (EC, CWC, UEFA etc) involving English teams.

For myself, I like to see English teams win on the continent - apart from Chelsea, Arsenal and City (perhaps Liverpool as well). I just cannot stand to see any of those clubs win a game, regardless of the opposition. My dad despises the Gooners, yet doesn't mind them coming up trumps in Europe since they're flying the flag for our country. Could the shift in mentality have taken place after the advent of the Premier League? Could some older supporters shed light on the European travels of the Gooners/Facists in the 70s/80s?

Nope.

I LOVE Spurs, and hate every other team apart from Leeds.

I always want the English teams to get fudging bummed. For me Football is tribal and I detest nationalism and especially the jingoistic flimflam we have to endure when INGERLAND play in a major tournament.

When Man U played Chelscum I wanted then both to lose!

The 5 Live commentary last night was UNASHAMEDLY biased.......loved it when Chelsea scored and then Napoli picked them off! :)

The only time I want another team to win, is if it benefits Spurs. I certainly dont want other English teams stretching their Euro trophy count.

Mate, have you actually watched their games?

On a pure football-quality level, I'd steer well clear
No I haven't, both play unashamedly brick football. Would still rather see them win than foreign opposition, though. Was great to see Fulham get to the final of the same competition a few years ago.

So basically you like Man United and that's it.

that kinda sums it up for me, i've always had a soft spot for united, probably because i hate arsenal and liverpool so much, i do quite like brum this year though, only for clipboard chris mind

as a rule though i generally want the other english teams to get knocked out as soon as possible as thats best for spurs

Whatevs mate, just found it hilarious that a thread entitled Supporting English teams in Europe then proceeds to disavow four out of the seven teams participating this year.

Whatevs mate, just found it hilarious that a thread entitled Supporting English teams in Europe then proceeds to disavow four out of the seven teams participating this year.
Didn't realise that Liverpool were competing in Europe this season, news to me. Anyway, since I'm part of the 'modern' generation of football supporters (for good or for bad) - I prefer to see our rivals get a can of whoopass opened up on their adventures. Was just interested in seeing whether the 'old school' (such as my dad) had similar or contrasting views.

For me it's simple. Other than little clubs like Fulham, I want them to get to the semis and then get thrashed. Whats better than the Arse not qualifying for Europe? Watching them get beaten in a semi, or a final. Their final defeat to Barca was priceless, particularly as clamball put them ahead. I want English teams to get to the latter stages, so as to boost the English co-efficient which means Spurs are more likely to qualify.

Gary.

I want the english coefficient to fall so much only ONE team qualifies!

Other teams in the league might have a chance to win the league then and our league would be far better for it.

The fact that no english team is in the quarters is fudging GREAT! Hopefully the whol fudging circus around the champs league will calm down, it has RUINED club football in Europe for the vast majority of fans, making teams spend beyond their means, devaluing other cup competitions and domestic leagues.

People would rather finish 4th than win the FA Cup FFS!!

I am with PLJ United is the only so called big team that I like to see have success. Actually I wouldn't mind Emirates Marketing Project either yes they may have taken a dirty shortcut with sheikh money but their fans have been tortured for their entire existence. Chelsea and Arsescum can fudge off and Liverpool I didn't mid so much until recent events they have this sense of entitlement which rubs me the wrong way

Yea that sickens me. Some say to 'look at the long-term gains and the picture' but fudge that - I don't support Spurs to take enjoyment out of an increase in finances, I want to see us win trophies.

I totally agree that the Champions League has ruined the Premier League to an extent. But I would definitely prefer us to finish 4th than to finish 5th and win the FA Cup. In order for us to get to this season's FA Cup Semi-Final we will have had to beat Cheltenham, Watford, Stevenage and Bolton. It's hardly a glorious achievement, trophy or not.

I want the english coefficient to fall so much only ONE team qualifies!

Other teams in the league might have a chance to win the league then and our league would be far better for it.

The fact that no english team is in the quarters is fudging GREAT! Hopefully the whol fudging circus around the champs league will calm down, it has RUINED club football in Europe for the vast majority of fans, making teams spend beyond their means, devaluing other cup competitions and domestic leagues.

People would rather finish 4th than win the FA Cup FFS!!

i like it, great thinking

about the finishing 4th rather than winning the FA cup, according to a certain short sighted Frenchman finishing 4th is just like winning a trophy:-s

Back