• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer Transfer Strategy

Yeah it seems to be a 2 way battle for the RB subs position between Trippier and Yedlin, with Tripper being the clear front runner. So why bother with Yedlin if he can fetch decent money. The only way i see him in the squad is if maybe he is used as a RM/winger? We'll have Nkoudou on the left (albeit right footed) and perhaps Yedlin on the right so that we have the option of playing traditional wingers if we want to change things a bit?

This is generally not Poch's style but perhaps as impact subs it might work

Why keep Yedlin? We have Walker, Trippier, Yedlin and, as 4th choice, Walker-Peters. I don't see any need to have a 3rd choice RB who is a full international - better to sell him than let hit rot. He's unlikely to get any game time

I get that. Just think he's a good prospect. Probably worth 15m+ if he had a season of playing in a good team like ours. Another loan might be best for Yedlin. He needs to develop his technical skills - crossing, passing etc. He's a lot faster than Trippier but less experienced and steady.

I get that. Just think he's a good prospect. Probably worth 15m+ if he had a season of playing in a good team like ours. Another loan might be best for Yedlin. He needs to develop his technical skills - crossing, passing etc. He's a lot faster than Trippier but less experienced and steady.
With the season we have coming up you need 5 FBs - one who can "do a job" at both LB and RB. And if Davies becomes emergency CB we will need the options.

With the season we have coming up you need 5 FBs - one who can "do a job" at both LB and RB. And if Davies becomes emergency CB we will need the options.

Why? We'll have less games than last season and 4 worked perfectly well for us last year. A baggy squad causes disharmony.

And a 'too tight' squad runs out of steam and ideas.

That's why we've bought Wanyama, Janssen and potential NKG. But they are not additional bodies. They are to be more useful than Bentaleb, Chadli and Njie.

2 strong players for each position, a 3rd young GK (McGee) and 2 other versatile kids (Winks and Onomah) is optimum. I think we have that now - once we shift the likes of Fazio, Yedlin, Carroll etc.

I think it comes down to character. Will a young-ish prospect such as Yedlin cause issues if he is not playing? Will keeping him around for half a season have more benefit in terms of potential rotation in League Cup etc? Could he have a breakout year?

Older established players I agree make a squad flabby but I think given the physicality and even aggression of Poch's game we need to add in a little extra redundancy/back-up capacity in the squad which isn't just U21s

I think it comes down to character. Will a young-ish prospect such as Yedlin cause issues if he is not playing? Will keeping him around for half a season have more benefit in terms of potential rotation in League Cup etc? Could he have a breakout year?

Older established players I agree make a squad flabby but I think given the physicality and even aggression of Poch's game we need to add in a little extra redundancy/back-up capacity in the squad which isn't just U21s

Any senior player whose not making matchday squads (which are 18, so should be all your 22 minus an average 4 injured or suspended) is just going to get unfit and completely demotivated.

I think we might actually be less willing to trust Davies and Trippier in early round European games next season, so I think they'll be expecting universal selection in domestic cup and lower EPL games.

KWP can at play in the U21 league, but Yedlin got replaced when we bought Trippier 12 months ago and now needs to find a new home.

Why keep Yedlin? We have Walker, Trippier, Yedlin and, as 4th choice, Walker-Peters. I don't see any need to have a 3rd choice RB who is a full international - better to sell him than let hit rot. He's unlikely to get any game time

yedlin can be moved into midfield. has the engine and speed to help both attack and defence. Plan B perhaps ?

That's why we've bought Wanyama, Janssen and potential NKG. But they are not additional bodies. They are to be more useful than Bentaleb, Chadli and Njie.

2 strong players for each position, a 3rd young GK (McGee) and 2 other versatile kids (Winks and Onomah) is optimum. I think we have that now - once we shift the likes of Fazio, Yedlin, Carroll etc.

I don't think we do, unsurprisingly. If we take the first eleven as being Lloris, Walker, Toby, Verts, Rose, Dier, Dembele, Lamela, Alli, Eriksen and Kane, then the second eleven we currently possess becomes Vorm, Trippier, CCV/Ball, Wimmer, Davies, Wanyama, Mason, Son, Onomah/Edwards, Chadli and Janssen. The remainder are the 3rd GK (McGee, presumably), Winks and Edwards, with whichever one of Ball and CCV that fails to make the cut as our 4th CB being the 26th man - beyond that, Sterling, Harrison, Walkes and Miller are also hanging around the first team at present, and the unwanted players (N'jie, Bentaleb, Fazio and Pritchard) have yet to be moved on.

In that 'second' eleven, we are critically weak in central midfield with Mason (given last season's evidence) and in attacking midfield with either Onomah or Edwards being the replacement for Alli - I would include the 4th CB position as another weakness, but in reality we're likely to see Dier or Wanyama drop back into that role if CCV or Ball don't make the cut. Now, in Mason's case, there's a case to be made (based on pre-season evidence) for Winks being the backup for Dembele instead of Mason, and it may also be the case that Mason recovers his form to an extent if he's over his injury.

But in central attacking midfield, we're definitely short if your aim is 2 strong players for each position - the impact of losing Alli and him being replaced by either Edwards or Onomah at this stage in their careers is not likely to be positive at all. Thus, it doesn't surprise me that we're on the lookout for another CAM - additionally, it ties in with a need identified by that article on tactics I linked a while back for a genuinely mobile CAM imbued with excellent close control that enables him to turn our transitions toward the opposition defense quicker than is currently the case (where controlling passes forward and *then* turning usually slows our attacks a bit).

And we're certainly not as stocked with strong CAMs as you're asserting. We have a base of good ones, and some very young, raw, promising backups - none in between.

I don't think we do, unsurprisingly. If we take the first eleven as being Lloris, Walker, Toby, Verts, Rose, Dier, Dembele, Lamela, Alli, Eriksen and Kane, then the second eleven we currently possess becomes Vorm, Trippier, CCV/Ball, Wimmer, Davies, Wanyama, Mason, Son, Onomah/Edwards, Chadli and Janssen. The remainder are the 3rd GK (McGee, presumably), Winks and Edwards, with whichever one of Ball and CCV that fails to make the cut as our 4th CB being the 26th man - beyond that, Sterling, Harrison, Walkes and Miller are also hanging around the first team at present, and the unwanted players (N'jie, Bentaleb, Fazio and Pritchard) have yet to be moved on.

In that 'second' eleven, we are critically weak in central midfield with Mason (given last season's evidence) and in attacking midfield with either Onomah or Edwards being the replacement for Alli - I would include the 4th CB position as another weakness, but in reality we're likely to see Dier or Wanyama drop back into that role if CCV or Ball don't make the cut. Now, in Mason's case, there's a case to be made (based on pre-season evidence) for Winks being the backup for Dembele instead of Mason, and it may also be the case that Mason recovers his form to an extent if he's over his injury.

But in central attacking midfield, we're definitely short if your aim is 2 strong players for each position - the impact of losing Alli and him being replaced by either Edwards or Onomah at this stage in their careers is not likely to be positive at all. Thus, it doesn't surprise me that we're on the lookout for another CAM - additionally, it ties in with a need identified by that article on tactics I linked a while back for a genuinely mobile CAM imbued with excellent close control that enables him to turn our transitions toward the opposition defense quicker than is currently the case (where controlling passes forward and *then* turning usually slows our attacks a bit).

And we're certainly not as stocked with strong CAMs as you're asserting. We have a base of good ones, and some very young, raw, promising backups - none in between.

I agree we have no one who could cover for Erikson at this time, lots of potential but no one who could play 3-4 games without weakening the team.

I agree we have no one who could cover for Erikson at this time, lots of potential but no one who could play 3-4 games without weakening the team.

Well, purely from a positional sense (i.e, he starts out on the left, although that doesn't last long), Chadli, Son and N'Koudou (if he ever arrives) would be his backups, with Son also capable of operating from the right. But I agree that we don't have anyone who can do what he does nearly as consistently.

I think Mason will understudy Alli at ACM and Winks will replace Bentaleb as Dembele's cover.

Well, purely from a positional sense (i.e, he starts out on the left, although that doesn't last long), Chadli, Son and N'Koudou (if he ever arrives) would be his backups, with Son also capable of operating from the right. But I agree that we don't have anyone who can do what he does nearly as consistently.

I think our 3 attacking midfield players interchange which makes them so effective, they may have a starting position but are fluid once the game starts. Erikson is the one who see things quickly and can deliver the killer pass.

I think our 3 attacking midfield players interchange which makes them so effective, they may have a starting position but are fluid once the game starts. Erikson is the one who see things quickly and can deliver the killer pass.

I agree, the one player we do not have back up for is Eriksen and we will struggle to find one in the present squad.

I think Mason will understudy Alli at ACM and Winks will replace Bentaleb as Dembele's cover.

Hmm. Might be possible, but is Mason mobile enough to be Alli's understudy? Question's open, imo, especially since he looked pretty static at times last season (although his injury's admittedly a possible cause of that). Plus, first-touch wise, I don't think he's the player who can turn defence into attack quicker than we usually do.

Back