• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

It’s a poor excuse. For the PL squad rules I think we are 1 over and that includes Jansson and N’Koudou. Both could easily be sold/loaned out it’s just that Levy might have to take a bit of a hit on the price or subsidise some of the wages.

Why would he wanna do that unless it’s for a player we need to get in?

Jack Grealish, the onky player we have genuinely bid on it seems would be a squad player wth potential to get better. Why shift someone on without having him signed up first. You would be weakening the squad did the sake of it

And the only players we have that was linked with a move is Toby, Dembele and Jansenn on loan

And I think we will still shift some players abroad during the remainder of the window

brick.

AshleyOut. fudge off.

DkMSBu7W0AA4Dy3.jpg
Who did you sell to make the money besides Mitrovic?

It’s how you word the message IMO and they just always end up negative

That never endears yourself to the people you targeting unless they only want to get more unhappy fans paying their tenners

Really? I felt they at least tried to be positive numerous times in the message - keeping our star players, new stadium and so on. And, as before, ultimately the club doesn't care either way - the punters will buy the tickets, and that is the only power an English fan has over his or her club, in stark contrast to Germany and other more enlightened nations.

I felt it struck the right balance - if you go overboard in sugarcoating your criticism, you will only get sugarcoated responses, and nothing will be learned on either side. You need to be direct sometimes too, no?

Not many, but £27M in for Mitro.

Merino main one at £10m but also Mbemba was about £8m and then smaller sales Toney, Armstrong, Sels.

Depends. I am assuming our transfer budget was a resounding 0.00, as always? And that space for increases in our wage budget was similarly non-existent?

If so, those straitjackets constrain us right out the gate - entirely by choice, and entirely unnecessarily. And you know that.

Similarly, this emerging 'signings would block the path of someone just as good' narrative brings to mind Wenger citing Emmanuel Frimpong and Amaury Bischoff as a reason to avoid signing players. I fail to see who we have in our youth ranks that signings would block playtime for, given that most of them will just not make it at Spurs anyway. And do remember, we sold players like Griffiths and Bennetts while keeping Llorente around, so you're assuming that's important when it may not be the case.

So, I think you're setting a straitjacket in your head and then demanding that potential options tick those boxes. Trouble is, that straitjacket exists in your head, and in Levy's. The rest of the football world get by without it.

Well, we clearly had 25M for Grealish for starters, so let’s assume we had some money.

For what it’s worth, I think Wenger had a good point with that and it’s one of the reasons they were able to be consistent for so long- cohesion, trust in players that knew the club. But I know you and I disagree on how effective he was as a coach. I think right now Poch is able to, through good coaching, make young players reach higher levels. I think Wenger’s mode kind of stopped being successful a fair few years back, and that’s why you saw a load of the Ramsey’s and the Bellarin’s stagnate.

And I know that you know that keeping an experienced back up striker is different to promoting an U-18 player. When I talk about path blocking, I’m talking Winks, Onomah, people that are knocking on the door because they are ready or nearly ready. If we’ve kept Dembele, and we have Winks, and we have Onomah and Sissoko for that position, we aren’t even in desperate need there. Certainly not worth signing a Pascal Gross just because Winks is currently injured.

Really? I felt they at least tried to be positive numerous times in the message - keeping our star players, new stadium and so on. And, as before, ultimately the club doesn't care either way - the punters will buy the tickets, and that is the only power an English fan has over his or her club, in stark contrast to Germany and other more enlightened nations.

I felt it struck the right balance - if you go overboard in sugarcoating your criticism, you will only get sugarcoated responses, and nothing will be learned on either side. You need to be direct sometimes too, no?

Their direct all the time

Their about as positive as that nonce Harry Hotspur just using a different medium

Maybe that’s their job.. and their passionate about spurs when I’ve heard them talk, but not when they put stuff in writing

Teach me...
boy..that would take a long time..
one thing i will say,if and its a big if. If Toby,Rose,Llorent play regular this season and our so called WC
players play as well as they did in the World Cup we could have a great Season, Toby would have to want to play for us,that would be a big plus..Moura to be pitched into the fray because when we bought him last season he did not have enough time to fit in the Team..and not played enough by Poch ,in fact Sissoko had more time. I,m not 100 per cent sure about Llorent but I would be playing him a bit more with Kane as duo more because Llorent has been a proven striker.
As for why we did not buy thats a bit of a mystery to me. It must be said you have to choose the right players thats crucial but generally clubs do look to strengthen. Poch also said he would allways be looking to strengthen the side. Other pundits in the media have said we need to go for it to achieve.

Anyway...lets see what happens..
Coys.....

Why would he wanna do that unless it’s for a player we need to get in?

Jack Grealish, the onky player we have genuinely bid on it seems would be a squad player wth potential to get better. Why shift someone on without having him signed up first. You would be weakening the squad did the sake of it

And the only players we have that was linked with a move is Toby, Dembele and Jansenn on loan

And I think we will still shift some players abroad during the remainder of the window
Well we could’ve had Grealish signed much earlier in the window, but instead of doing the deal for the (just about) reasonable fee that Villa’s previous owner wanted, we messed about and tried to wait until Villa were almost going under to get an even lower price. Only to end up offering more for him in the last 24 hours of the window than Villa wanted for him prior to their change of ownership.

The reason our unwanted players remain is because Levy wants unrealistic fees for them.

Well we could’ve had Grealish signed much earlier in the window, but instead of doing the deal for the (just about) reasonable fee that their previous owner wanted, we messed about and tried to wait until Villa were almost going under to get an even lower price. Only to end up offering more for him in the last 24 hours of the window than Villa wanted for him prior to their change of ownership.

The reason our unwanted players remain is because Levy wants unrealistic fees for them.

How do you know what fees we want from players ?

I agree we could have got Grealish earlier but they also had the small matter of the takeover going on which may have had an impact

How do you know what fees we want from players ?

I agree we could have got Grealish earlier but they also had the small matter of the takeover going on which may have had an impact
It was before the takeover commenced that we could’ve had Grealish, Villa had payments to make and were desperate for cash flow. £25 million was the price, or put another way about the price that Leicester happily, quickly paid for Maddison. Instead of realizing it was a fair deal, we instead held back expecting Villa to get even more desperate as their payment due dates got closer. Their takeover talk commenced at a later date.

Re: Our demands for outgoing players. My Dad used to represent footballers and still has many friends in the industry.

It was before the takeover commenced that we could’ve had Grealish, Villa had payments to make and were desperate for cash flow. £25 million was the price, or put another way about the price that Leicester happily, quickly paid for Maddison. Instead of realizing it was a fair deal, we instead held back expecting Villa to get even more desperate as their payment due dates got closer. Their takeover talk commenced at a later date.

Re: Our demands for outgoing players. My Dad used to represent footballers and still has many friends in the industry.

I’ve just realised what you were getting at the other day, but if that’s how it was shaking out - I’m glad we didn’t pay £25M when Villa were literally in danger of not paying their tax bill. 25 for Grealish is a lot of money at the best of times, when buying from a club in rude health. 25 for Grealish when his club are in a precarious position is way too much. I can completely see why we tried to go lower. And then for us to even bid 25 late on suggests that Levy isn’t that tight. He tried but we just weren’t desperate for him, and it was more an opportunistic thing to get a great deal on a young English player.

I see what you’re saying. Yes we could have had him if we had just paid up. But the context changed. We thought there was an opportunity, but Villa pulled some funding out of the bag. And I think it’s good for Levy to be seen to be able to walk away from deals, to show that he won’t just pay up regardless in the end. It reinforces what we consider fair value. And time will tell whether Villa took a big risk as it relates to FFP by keeping him as well as signing others for multi million fees.

fudge it lads and girls. We haven’t lost any of our players that got us third last season! We have kept Toby and we have Moura for a whole season!

I need TP for my bunghole!

View attachment 4842
Exactly. Consider this: we finished 3rd last season with a load of injuries. Now, granted, we're starting the season with Wanyama and Winks out. But if they get fit within the next couple of months, we'll have a stronger squad than we did last season. Add to that a bedded in Moura and a fit Lamela. And perhaps a Rose at 80% of his 2016 self. And to top it off, a cohesive team that has played together for a couple of seasons and players entering their prime.

And we really think that a signing, any signing, would have made more of a difference than the above?

Poch: "If you can't bring in players who improve your squad, then you need to keep your best players. We have done a great job with that."

He is completely right. Some our fans need to take a page from our managers book and stop prattling on like entitled children.

Squad stability is supremely underrated. Signing a few marquee players isn't a golden bullet for success; just look at what happened when we sold Bale and brought in 7.

I think we have a great chance at going all the way this season, particularly with clubs around us having to integrate new players & managers.

City will be the benchmark again, but I reckon we're next in line to push them all the way.

Exactly. Consider this: we finished 3rd last season with a load of injuries. Now, granted, we're starting the season with Wanyama and Winks out. But if they get fit within the next couple of months, we'll have a stronger squad than we did last season. Add to that a bedded in Moura and a fit Lamela. And perhaps a Rose at 80% of his 2016 self. And to top it off, a cohesive team that has played together for a couple of seasons and players entering their prime.

And we really think that a signing, any signing, would have made more of a difference than the above?

And hopefully, no Wembley disadvantage. Players feeling like they are back home.

Poch: "If you can't bring in players who improve your squad, then you need to keep your best players. We have done a great job with that."

He is completely right. Some our fans need to take a page from our managers book and stop prattling on like entitled children.

Squad stability is supremely underrated. Signing a few marquee players isn't a golden bullet for success; just look at what happened when we sold Bale and brought in 7.

I think we have a great chance at going all the way this season, particularly with clubs around us having to integrate new players & managers.

City will be the benchmark again, but I reckon we're next in line to push them all the way.

As long as the manager doesn’t change his views half way through the season and starts talking about bringing in players early again that’s fine

Who talked about bringing 7 players in? Most people wanted 2 players 3 at a push if you included someone like Grealish which is not being entitled at all

All the way in what comp? Squad depth and squad rotation has been our downfall in previous season, what’s changed?

There is nothing wrong with the questions over the season ticket money if what they said the clubs view on them was.

Nor questioning the scouting system in a roundabout way.

As a ST holder I’ve always been of the view that the prices are higher to try and cover the wages/transfer fees a little bit which I’ve accepted - you can’t moan about not paying the wages and increased ticket costs.

I'm glad we didn't buy grealish or any other average player at the expense of losing any of our average players.

The squad is settled and to be honest if Rose can wake up and realise that he is in an extremely privilaged position vs going to shalke. Along with Toby thinking that Man U etc are desperate to sign him but actually didn't push for him....

Having both players mentally and physically fit could do wonders. I think we could have signed a midfield player but if Alder can slot into a back three we can more than cope with formation switching

Last edited:
Oh no, we finished bottom of the “Sky Sports Signings” table, and we’re also in the bottom 3 relegation zone of the “Jim White Net-Spend” league!!

Championship football for us, but well done to Everton and West Ham for winning the title this season.

Back