• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

“Sugardaddies “ and the Mega-Money investors coming into the game

Football has evolved over the years but these sugar daddies have put our game in a false position.

They've pushed it almost to the point where the only way to compete is to get another sugar daddy in. This isn't how it's supposed to be. Never was.

The 50 + 1 Regel, ladies and gentlemen. The Bundesliga is so unpredictable (save for Bayern, of course) purely because that rule exists to keep the majority of a club's ownership in the hands of the fans.

Will it ever be implemented in England? I hope with all my heart that it will. One day.

The whole buying/selling of clubs should not be allowed. In Germany it's law that the fans own at least 51%.

I agree with the general point but what about Bayer Leverkusen and Hoffenheim? Not sure why the rules don't apply generally.

The whole buying/selling of clubs should not be allowed. In Germany it's law that the fans own at least 51%.

Genuine question - if a Sheikh buys 49% and decides to pump in loads of money by "sponsoring" the stadium and shirts with a stupidly rich deal like Emirates Marketing Project... do the fans just accept that and enjoy it, or can they not accept the "gift" or does it stop Sheikh's bothering at all, because they will never own the lot?

Egypt > Libya > Syria > who's next :-k

080526_p05_arab1.gif

my money would be on Iran

They've pushed it almost to the point where the only way to compete is to get another sugar daddy in. This isn't how it's supposed to be. Never was.

Very much this. Teams have been spending big over decades, except United timed it perfectly and most effectively. The first few years Fergie took over was when they went out and spent disproportionately more compared to their income. They bought all the best talent in a very short period. Players like Bruce, Cantona, Pallister and to an extent, Robson (though I think he was signed just before Ferguson took over, but the point remains). They bought a very, very good squad and began dominating just as English football went global with the Premiership. With United being the best team, they attracted the best sponsorship deals and foreign supporters. Commercially, they played a blinder and as much as it hurts me to say it, they will always be the biggest club in England. Their plan was very sustainable, unlike Jack Walker's.

The anomaly is Arsenal. The tossers never let us forget that they run a football club and play football 'the best way'. Though that second half of that statement is VERY debatable, the first is definitely true. Very tightly run, never spent big and competed consistently. Maybe they haven't balanced on-the-pitch and off-the-pitch spending very well, but they're always in the top 4. Liverpool spent relatively big in the 70s/80s, United did in the 80s/early 90s, Chelsea did in the mid-00s and we have now. Investment, or "sugar daddies", are the best way to get to the top, with Arsenal being the aforementioned anomaly. People can kick and scream all they want about it, but the only reliable way to be successful is to spend what you don't have.

Last edited:
You make some great points. Please don't go all nuts on us like some of your other fans.

I take it you remember the bad times at city?

You make some great points. Please don't go all nuts on us like some of your other fans.

I take it you remember the bad times at city?

"All nuts on us" I take it you've been on Bluemoon? That forum is full of complete weapons, where the vast majority have let the money get to their heads. And of course I remember them, it's why I'm not getting carried away because I know how sour it can turn and how quickly.

You seem down to earth good to have you here (For now :))

Question: With respect you've 'Bought' the FA Cup and now the league. By that I mean without the investment it's fair to say you probably wouldn't have. Does your success seem hollow to you now?

I should add I'm really not trying to be funny here would really like to know your thoughts.

"All nuts on us" I take it you've been on Bluemoon? That forum is full of complete weapons, where the vast majority have let the money get to their heads. And of course I remember them, it's why I'm not getting carried away because I know how sour it can turn and how quickly.

After a Spurs-City game at the Lane, can't remember the exact year (2010?), we had won 1-0, I got the train up to Chester to meet the missus. I sat with three City ST holders on the way up. I'll never forget their wide-eyed excitement about the takeover and hearing stories about the dark days of lower-division football and the rest.

They were football fans who loved their club, nothing more, and it was a pleasure to spend time in their company chatting and listening to their self-deprecating humour about how 'only a club like City could stuff this up' when I asked what the future held for them. Very similar to ourselves actually!

I remind myself of this experience when I venture into Bluemoon to see what they're saying about Spurs!

I think Spurs and City fans both see their teams as the masters of fudging things up at times.

You seem down to earth good to have you here (For now :))

Question: With respect you've 'Bought' the FA Cup and now the league. By that I mean without the investment it's fair to say you probably wouldn't have. Does your success seem hollow to you now?

I should add I'm really not trying to be funny here would really like to know your thoughts.

Not in the slightest.

The day we won the FA Cup was just completely mental. I ended up going alone because the coach ticket we were given by the club was misprinted and told us we had to get to the coach park for 8:00am, when we should have been there for 7. ("Typical City") Imagine the look on our faces when the huge car park was filled with empty and no coaches, apart from one reserved for the stewards only. There was one space left on the coach, and my old man pushed me on there and he was left to wave us off. I can't imagine how heartbreaking it was for him to be stranded there, watching us set off to (hopefully) see us lift our first trophy in 35 years. I had to work the tube on my own which for us Northerners is like trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube; so frustrating. The guy who was sat in front of me during the actual game was your typical Moss Side lad. Skinhead, tattoos everywhere, I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about having been to Maine Road a few times. Anyway, he just would not sit down the whole game. I tapped him on his shoulder and asked him to just sit down a bit. Him and his Hulk-like mates turned round towards me and stood up. Thankfully, a lot of our other fans around us told them to sit down and enjoy the match. At the final whistle, they all turned round to me and started crying. I was in their pictures, we sung City songs for the next hour while the players paraded, it was amazing.

Anyway, I guess the point I'm trying to make with this is that no matter who we beat to get to the final and no matter how much money we spent, all of this could have still happened. If it was Bolton who got to the final somehow, there could have been poor sap who experienced the exact same thing I had. Some guy in Stoke could have completely mirrored me, except he was crying at the end for a different reason. I've had to endure so much playground bullying and taunts in the pub because I support 'bricky City'. To actually go back home and tell them that we won a trophy, and actually be able to brag about something; there is nothing hollow about that.

Sorry for going on (and going slightly off topic), I thought the best way to make my point was to tell a little story. Besides, just be thankful I haven't even mentioned Aguero vs QPR.

After a Spurs-City game at the Lane, can't remember the exact year (2010?), we had won 1-0, I got the train up to Chester to meet the missus. I sat with three City ST holders on the way up. I'll never forget their wide-eyed excitement about the takeover and hearing stories about the dark days of lower-division football and the rest.

They were football fans who loved their club, nothing more, and it was a pleasure to spend time in their company chatting and listening to their self-deprecating humour about how 'only a club like City could stuff this up' when I asked what the future held for them. Very similar to ourselves actually!

I remind myself of this experience when I venture into Bluemoon to see what they're saying about Spurs!

I guarantee 95% of the ST holders at the Etihad will be exactly like that. Still working class people, with a few stories to tell and a few laughs to have. And I'm not sure I know which 1-0 Spurs you're referring to, there have been so many of those in recent years!
Good luck finding something positive though. The only other teams that the people on there like are our reserves and our youth squads. A few good Spurs fans post on there, but I think they find it difficult to have a decent debate. I think many people are still hurt over THAT Ricky Villa goal.

I think Spurs and City fans both see their teams as the masters of fudging things up at times.

Definitely know what you mean. There a few parallels to draw between the clubs, like snatching defeat from the claws of victory, and being under our rivals for such a large period of time. It's why I'm pleased Spurs are actually challenging Arsenal now, I hope to see a changing of the old guard in the next few years. :D

But it wouldn't have happened had you not spent all your winnings is my main point. It's a hollow achievement. Sure it's yours in the history book and all that but it's not worthy. IMHO.

But it wouldn't have happened had you not spent all your winnings is my main point. It's a hollow achievement. Sure it's yours in the history book and all that but it's not worthy. IMHO.

TBF, you asked swp29 how he felt and he articulately decribed how in the moment it didn't feel like a hollow achievement at all. And I think we can all imagine the euphoria swp29 must have felt when City scored those 2 goals at the death on the last day of the season, just when it looked like they were once again about to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I don't blame you for being envious Roy, but how about we show some Spurs class and congratulate a well meaning City fan on his good fortune.

TBF, you asked swp29 how he felt and he articulately decribed how in the moment it didn't feel like a hollow achievement at all. And I think we can all imagine the euphoria swp29 must have felt when City scored those 2 goals at the death on the last day of the season, just when it looked like they were once again about to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I don't blame you for being envious Roy, but how about we show some Spurs class and congratulate a well meaning City fan on his good fortune.

Envious is the wrong word. Do I wish we'd won the league like city? Of course. Would I like to win the league in the manner city have? Not in a million years. Genuinely, honestly wouldn't.

I remember the city of Uwe Rosler, Kinkladze, Terry Phelan, Tony Coton. That's Emirates Marketing Project. I know things change blah blah blah but not for the better.

For what it's worth I think swp29 seems a great addition to the forum makes some great points and puts them across well. We're just never gonna agree I wouldn't imagine.

I don't have a problem with long-term City fans. Fans who experienced Gillingham deserve their moment. Fans who are sitting around a table in Surrey trying to decide whether to buy a City shirt to replace their old United/Chelsea shirt don't deserve it, but who cares about them? I think fans who have been through thick and thin deserve their moment, regardless of the means (even true Chelsea fans).

If I was asked about how I want us to go about getting success, I'd opt for a new stadium, increased revenues, winning through money earnt that way, But if we got a sugar-daddy owner and won the league, I'm pretty sure I'd be celebrating and leaving the asterisks for our neighbours. I think most of the posters on here became Spurs fans despite the record and are stuck with being Spurs fans regardless of what happens. So why not enjoy any success that comes our way?

I think nothing that City have done, nor clubs of that ilk, really matters. They are making a mockery of competition, unless that competition is who is the richest most disgustingly wasteful prick on the planet. Any genuine city fan knows this too even if they won't admit it. They've skipped the queue and given the rest of us the finger on the way past. I will never respect one thing that they do while they operate in this fashion.

FFP my arse.

I think nothing that City have done, nor clubs of that ilk, really matters. They are making a mockery of competition, unless that competition is who is the richest most disgustingly wasteful prick on the planet. Any genuine city fan knows this too even if they won't admit it. They've skipped the queue and given the rest of us the finger on the way past. I will never respect one thing that they do while they operate in this fashion.

FFP my arse.

Exactly how I feel.

Back