• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Substitutions

We won the game because we were 3 - 1 up before the substitution. Not because of the substitution.

The title and subject of the thread is about substitutions , it would be a bit weird if you are not allowed to discuss them.

Just thinking of our options once Lamela, Wanyama and Rose are fit alongside the recently back Winks.

Assuming a first XI something along the lines of;

1. Lloris
  2. Toby
  3. Verts
  4. Sanchez
  5. Aurier
  6. Rose
  7. Wanyama
  8. Dembele
  9. Alli
  10. Eriksen
  11. Kane

That leaves; Vorm, Trippier, Davies, Dier, Lamela, Son, Winks, Llorente, Sissoko, Foyth

Most games, unless changes are required through injury, I would fancy Dier or Winks (for Dembele), Lamela or Son (for Alli or Eriksen), and Llorente (for Kane) to get most appearances. Sissoko is also proving himself to be well and truly in the reckoning.

I see no reason why Ben Davies shouldn't remain as first choice LB, even when Rose is declared fit.

Davies has been fantastic this season, one of our best players. If and when his form dips, then Rose might get a look in.

But for now, Rose can take a seat on the bench until Poch has reason to call him up.

Another example of why Pochettino sometimes leaves subs a bit later than some on here would like. Had that petered out a 3-1 or 4-1 win for us no doubt people would be claiming that Poch should have made changes earlier to rest players. But 20 minutes left and everything changes with the red. Would never with a WH goal at that point too btw.

Subs available in Trippier, Winks and Llorente proved important. And not having made changes just to give someone game time was important.

No; we'd have been saying he should have brought on Trippier for Aurier ...

That leaves; Vorm, Trippier, Davies, Dier, Lamela, Son, Winks, Llorente, Sissoko, Foyth

Most games, unless changes are required through injury, I would fancy Dier or Winks (for Dembele), Lamela or Son (for Alli or Eriksen), and Llorente (for Kane) to get most appearances. Sissoko is also proving himself to be well and truly in the reckoning.
I'd definitely add Kyle Walker-Peters into that mix. Can play on either flank and was pretty impressive at LWB against Barnsley. His main drawback is inexperience at the highest level but If Trippier continues to show poor form then KWP looks ready to step up as our no 2 RWB.

Edit: Also N'Koudou who mostly sparkled in his cameo against Barnsley.

Last edited:
I see no reason why Ben Davies shouldn't remain as first choice LB, even when Rose is declared fit.

Davies has been fantastic this season, one of our best players. If and when his form dips, then Rose might get a look in.

But for now, Rose can take a seat on the bench until Poch has reason to call him up.

My thoughts as well.

This old chestnut again, tell you what this weekend at Huddersfield let's make all 3 changes at halftime and go with the flow.

Or shall we just let the man in charge do what he thinks best and not second guess what might or might not happen if player x is taken off 2 minutes before the change is made.

Can’t argue with that other than he plays in one of the most demanding roles and will need a break

Very true, but Rose would be the back up to start with. ( imo).

This old chestnut again, tell you what this weekend at Huddersfield let's make all 3 changes at halftime and go with the flow.

Or shall we just let the man in charge do what he thinks best and not second guess what might or might not happen if player x is taken off 2 minutes before the change is made.

Sounds like a plan. As i have said before Poch is the man who knows best, fans never agree on what happens its just some make a drama out of it.

The average time of Spurs's first substitution in Premier League games this season is the 69th minute, which is the second-latest after Southampton, whose subs have only provided two goals this season. Spurs's second substitution tends to come in the 81st minute and their third in the 89th minute - both are by a distance the latest in the entire league.

I feel this is a weakness. I feel Poch always hope and relies on his players to change the tide of a game. Quite often you can see we are getting bogged down and we need to change it up. But also you need impact players off the bench. A player with pace, a player with flair. I just dont think our squad has that.

Nkoudou still has not done a thing to prove he can make an impact. Lamela when he returns does not take on games like that. The best player we have who can come off the bench is Son, but he deserves to start a lot of games.

I do wish we had a Mane or Salah.

Watching Edwards play, it still feels like he could be on the odd bench and see if he can come on and make an impact. But there has to be a reason Poch is holding him back?????

The average time of Spurs's first substitution in Premier League games this season is the 69th minute, which is the second-latest after Southampton, whose subs have only provided two goals this season. Spurs's second substitution tends to come in the 81st minute and their third in the 89th minute - both are by a distance the latest in the entire league.
Because we don't generally need a game changing substitution?

I know it was the other year but didn't we have a ridiculously high amount of late goals to win/ drawer from losing positions. Do we still compare favorably

I feel this is a weakness. I feel Poch always hope and relies on his players to change the tide of a game. Quite often you can see we are getting bogged down and we need to change it up. But also you need impact players off the bench. A player with pace, a player with flair. I just dont think our squad has that.

Nkoudou still has not done a thing to prove he can make an impact. Lamela when he returns does not take on games like that. The best player we have who can come off the bench is Son, but he deserves to start a lot of games.

I do wish we had a Mane or Salah.

Watching Edwards play, it still feels like he could be on the odd bench and see if he can come on and make an impact. But there has to be a reason Poch is holding him back?????

Can’t see a Mane or Salah being happy to sit on the bench. And therein lies the problem.

This is not just in the Premier League - Poch usually delays and delays on changes in general. Take the West Ham game - the tide was turning, we were clearly falling apart, they got one back, then they got the second back, then they got the *third* - and through it all Poch didn't make a single change, preferring to sit on the bench and look moody instead.

I don't know why he's so reluctant to use his subs, to be honest. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here - he's the best manager we've had in the Premier League era, so I trust that he has a reason for being so stolidly slow to use his bench. But I do feel that it really hurts us at times.

This is not just in the Premier League - Poch usually delays and delays on changes in general. Take the West Ham game - the tide was turning, we were clearly falling apart, they got one back, then they got the second back, then they got the *third* - and through it all Poch didn't make a single change, preferring to sit on the bench and look moody instead.

I don't know why he's so reluctant to use his subs, to be honest. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here - he's the best manager we've had in the Premier League era, so I trust that he has a reason for being so stolidly slow to use his bench. But I do feel that it really hurts us at times.
I think there is value - especially in a situation where a two goal lead has been blown - in making a substitution. It stops the game for a while, breaking momentum and causes the other team to adjust to the switch. Moaninho has always been a big one for making subs - I vaguely remember him making three at once a couple of times at Cheat$ki. It would be interesting if anyone know Poch's philosophy on subs.

It certainly is a strange one. Perhaps Poch would rather sit back and watch how his team adapts, see who stands up, see who can change things and correct the problem... so he might lose the battle but he wins a lot of information to ultimately win the war.

I.e. he could throw on 2 men and change things and thus make spacegoats of those he takes off / make excuses for those that are now in a new situation... but he would rather sit back and assess what happens and give them the chance to alter what he has already drilled into them... he probably goes up to some poor sap after the game and says "You remember drill 17, paragraph 9? I told you to embrace the passion and assess your verticality" and then disappears enigmatically into the steam of the showers.

Back