• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Steven Bergwijn

I used willingly as in the context of Bergwijn I got the impression some people think it may be a mistake. The three you mention were all taken for record fees by clubs higher in the food chain when they were key players for us, along with Berba and Keane. You could maybe add Walker to the willing list though!
Yea I don’t think we’ve sold anyone willingly that has come back to bite us? However Chelsea have 3 recent examples in Lukaku the first time, Salah and KDB, so it can happen at this level.

Yea I don’t think we’ve sold anyone willingly that has come back to bite us? However Chelsea have 3 recent examples in Lukaku the first time, Salah and KDB, so it can happen at this level.
That comes with the territory of financial doping, stockpiling players and recruiting managers with very short term objectives!
Anyway I'm usually very careful not to tempt fate with Spurs but from what I've seen of him I think selling Bergwijn is 100% the right thing to do, if there is any concern he will do a Depay we can maybe add a release clause - it is entirely possible he'll impress in the Dutch league to earn a move and not replicate it in another top league.

Last edited:
If that deal goes through, then good for him. I was worried that he might end up at Everton! Decent player, seems a nice guy, just not quite good enough. I hope he returns to form and starts banging them in. We'll always remember Leicester :)

Also, we got him from PSV in Jan 2020 for €30M and Transfermarkt has his current value down as €18M. I'm sure there are plenty of clauses in the deal with Ajax, but €30M for him is brilliant business for us.

Disappointed but it was inevitable. I think he is good enough for the PL but he's only shown flashes for us. To be fair, he never had a real run in the team to get going and scored good goals against some really good teams.

The right decision for everyone but I'm not really sure why things didn't go better for him here. Good luck to him anyway.

Really hope he does well and gets game time to then enable him to shine in the World Cup.
Not the player we'd hoped for but leaves us, at least, with his glorious debut goal and that Leicester game which was so crucial for how we ended last season.

The money received will cover Bissouma's fee, and we've upgraded him within the squad with Richarlison. It all seems good.

Really hope he does well and gets game time to then enable him to shine in the World Cup.
Not the player we'd hoped for but leaves us, at least, with his glorious debut goal and that Leicester game which was so crucial for how we ended last season.

The money received will cover Bissouma's fee, and we've upgraded him within the squad with Richarlison. It all seems good.

If we get £30m for Bergjwin, £30m for Lo Celso and £20m for Tubby and thats pretty much Richarlison and Bissouma paid for.

If we get £30m for Bergjwin, £30m for Lo Celso and £20m for Tubby and thats pretty much Richarlison and Bissouma paid for.

That'd be some tremendous business. From a wages perspective, that'd also be an offset with some left over to partially cover the cost of Perisic.

We could come out of this without having to break the bank or dip too far into the 150m. But, of course, many opposition fans think we're at imminent risk of bankruptcy...

We may get 30m for bergwijn and 30m for lo celso but in euros not pounds. No one will pay any decent money for tubby until he proves himself to them on a loan.

Still cant believe the goons got a combined £55m for iwobi and willock. Two bang average championship players.

But, of course, many opposition fans think we're at imminent risk of bankruptcy...

By that logic every individual on the planet with a mortgage is on the brink of bankruptcy.

I think Bowen and Bergwijn are very similar players, physique, style of play and the remit they're given to help the team.

I think the difference is mental, Bowen is super sure of himself, when Bergwijn has a bit of self doubt about him. Perhaps just playing regularly and knowing you're a starter everyweek would cure that. Wish him well though .. he'll tear it up at Ajax

If that deal goes through, then good for him. I was worried that he might end up at Everton! Decent player, seems a nice guy, just not quite good enough. I hope he returns to form and starts banging them in. We'll always remember Leicester :)

Also, we got him from PSV in Jan 2020 for €30M and Transfermarkt has his current value down as €18M. I'm sure there are plenty of clauses in the deal with Ajax, but €30M for him is brilliant business for us.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. Good player and a good guy, but just not quite enough. Not helped by a lack of playing time, but didn’t think he did enough with the chances he had, some big goals aside.

I think Bowen and Bergwijn are very similar players, physique, style of play and the remit they're given to help the team.

I think the difference is mental, Bowen is super sure of himself, when Bergwijn has a bit of self doubt about him. Perhaps just playing regularly and knowing you're a starter everyweek would cure that. Wish him well though .. he'll tear it up at Ajax
Should have gone for Bowen, stand out player in the Championship that year or two with Hull and not stupid money.

Back