• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Steven Bergwijn

Moura is the better player but 5 years older too. So you’d expect that.

Bergwjin looks like he’s confident but I think more than most he actually lacks confidence and it affects him in front of goal. He’s not a player who can rotate in and out. He needs to play off of confidence and build a run where he’s playing well. If we can’t offer regular football it is better to convert him into cash.

I agree he can be a good player. He can finish it’s just he rarely does. The potential is there but we have too many players like that and we need to convert them into first team starters.
Moura was also the better prospect and player at the same age. I don't think the comparison really does him at favours.

He seems an intelligent player but one lacking in any special qualities. You usually need something standout to really function at a high level in a front three and really I'm yet to see what that might be.

I would not be against selling him and reinvesting the money because as @Bedfordspurs says the team needs to progress more quickly than he seems capable of.

It would take a real miracle for the guy to be good enough to stay. If he plays he has to score and there's been damn all sign of that when he has worn the shirt recently.

He is a problem in that there is a player there but is it a good enough one… I like him but we would need to see more and I think the team will progress quicker than he will

If we sign another starting attacking player in January it will obviously be to play with Kane and Son, in that case Bergwijn will have a really tough time forcing his way into the team and get enough minutes to develop and prove himself.

If we don't it's a different story, but right now it does seem like he's running out of time unless he can start putting in really convincing performances in the next month or two.

I would have thought he was a good fit for Conte. Works hard, versatile, seems coachable. But perhaps he's just not quite good enough? As with a lot of our players we'll have answers fairly quickly I think.

If we sign another starting attacking player in January it will obviously be to play with Kane and Son, in that case Bergwijn will have a really tough time forcing his way into the team and get enough minutes to develop and prove himself.

If we don't it's a different story, but right now it does seem like he's running out of time unless he can start putting in really convincing performances in the next month or two.

I would have thought he was a good fit for Conte. Works hard, versatile, seems coachable. But perhaps he's just not quite good enough? As with a lot of our players we'll have answers fairly quickly I think.
The guys a good player
I was really happy we signed him
Same with Lo Celso and very much so with Tanguy
I was also really happy with Doherty
I’d bin all 4 now no problems at all
The difference between lots of players I’d rarely talent, it’s motivation. Kane wasn’t the most talented player, but mentally he is by far and away the most motivated we have ever had.
The 4 I mention above (excluding Doherty) all have the talent but for many reasons their not working here. If we could work it out they may come good but we’re talking 30 months in some cases….

The guys a good player
The difference between lots of players I’d rarely talent, it’s motivation. Kane wasn’t the most talented player, but mentally he is by far and away the most motivated we have ever had.
The 4 I mention above (excluding Doherty) all have the talent but for many reasons their not working here. If we could work it out they may come good but we’re talking 30 months in some cases….

the sad thing about Doherty is he's not even the best Doherty we've had at the club, and that's compared to the Ginger Pélé!

The guys a good player

Talent and motivation, sure, definitely. I don't really see a reason to doubt Bergwijn's motivation, do you? He filled more or less an auxiliary full back role at times under Mourinho, always seems to work hard, to try.

Other than talent and motivation is being a good fit for the system and team. Sometimes not being a good fit is judged to be a lack of talent or motivation.

Kane in that regard too is special. So good at so many things, so well rounded as a player that he could succeed in almost any system - and has.

Signing players that are good and motivated, but not a good fit is where it often goes wrong imo. A change to Conte should solve some issues with players not being a good fit, but also probably cause some new issues. Not sure where Bergwijn falls in that.

To me, on the surface at least, Bergwijn seems a good fit to a Conte system. Right now it's more about his development and path at the club. Is he good enough, or likely to become good enough quickly enough? As you say 30 months is no good in his and our current situations.

The spot in the lineup he's competing for is the easiest attacking role to improve on. So he has to succeed (or come closer to it at least) before we sign that improvement or someone else steps up.

Because Conte isn't a long term project kind of man it has to be fairly quick. And neither him or we can afford to wait for the next change.

"In the past I have seen that Son played No9. Honestly, I prefer Son to play as a No10 – in the position that he is now playing. I like to have a point of reference as No9. Steven is working and we are utilising him also in this position [and] in the three positions off the striker. Steven could be a good option on the day that I want to give a rest to Harry.”
“[In Steven] we're talking about a player that has important skills. It was a pity for me – but not the [Dutch] national team, because he scored in qualifying – because I would have liked to have him during the two weeks of the international break to work with him and know him much better.

The guys a good player
I remember the first time I heard of him was from you. Honestly I thought you were just making up names at that point until I looked him up and was like wow!!

Shame it’s turned out like this. Parts of me still holds out a sliver of hope…

"In the past I have seen that Son played No9. Honestly, I prefer Son to play as a No10 – in the position that he is now playing. I like to have a point of reference as No9. Steven is working and we are utilising him also in this position [and] in the three positions off the striker. Steven could be a good option on the day that I want to give a rest to Harry.”
“[In Steven] we're talking about a player that has important skills. It was a pity for me – but not the [Dutch] national team, because he scored in qualifying – because I would have liked to have him during the two weeks of the international break to work with him and know him much better.
That's interesting.

I remember the first time I heard of him was from you. Honestly I thought you were just making up names at that point until I looked him up and was like wow!!

Shame it’s turned out like this. Parts of me still holds out a sliver of hope…
I saw him in France and thought wow
I saw him in the CL abs thought wow again
I’ve seen him do some good stuff for us
But I’ve seen him plod too much

Good to see Bergwijn get some minutes after the media story earlier in the week.

Not at all enough time or enough minutes to pass any sort of judgement, but he at least looked determined and on the front foot coming on.

Honestly, thought he was poor apart from his vital contribution for the goal and assist. Looked a little rusty and lacking confidence .... hopefully he can kick on.

Back