• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Steven Bergwijn

I really don't see any redeeming features with Bergwyn. He isn't lightening quick to really scare defenders ( a la Lennon), he seemingly doesn't have the trickery to beat a player one on one, he doesn't make devastating runs in behind ( like Son) he hasn't shown ant decent crossing ability and his finishing ( this season) has been woeful. Apart from age being on his side and the ability to work hard ( which really should be the very minimum we should expect of a PL footballer) what am I missing?
Some players stand out because they have one or two, or even a handful of attributes that set them apart from the norm at this level.

I don't see that from Bergwijn. What I see is a player with very few weaknesses. He's not blisteringly quick, but he's quite pacey. He's not a truly standout dribbler, but he's very good with the ball at his feet, at the very least tidy. He's not incredibly strong, but he's strong. He's quite two footed it seems. He has shown an ability to score, but yet to step that up to this level. He imo has shown flashes of end product in terms of assists.

These players can look rather bland, lacking those one or two attributes. But if the whole comes together they can be wonderful players, flexible tactically, very difficult to nullify. Sometimes it takes stepping up in one of those areas to a standout level. But I think it's also possible to be a very good allrounder and thus a very good footballer.

He's fairly young, only been here a bit over a year and that year has been a bit of a roller-coaster for the team as a whole.

I think there are good reasons to be optimistic about his future here, but for me cautious optimism perhaps as he doesn't look like a sure thing.

Some players stand out because they have one or two, or even a handful of attributes that set them apart from the norm at this level.

I don't see that from Bergwijn. What I see is a player with very few weaknesses. He's not blisteringly quick, but he's quite pacey. He's not a truly standout dribbler, but he's very good with the ball at his feet, at the very least tidy. He's not incredibly strong, but he's strong. He's quite two footed it seems. He has shown an ability to score, but yet to step that up to this level. He imo has shown flashes of end product in terms of assists.

These players can look rather bland, lacking those one or two attributes. But if the whole comes together they can be wonderful players, flexible tactically, very difficult to nullify. Sometimes it takes stepping up in one of those areas to a standout level. But I think it's also possible to be a very good allrounder and thus a very good footballer.

He's fairly young, only been here a bit over a year and that year has been a bit of a roller-coaster for the team as a whole.

I think there are good reasons to be optimistic about his future here, but for me cautious optimism perhaps as he doesn't look like a sure thing.
I agree with you here. I think his main attributes are that he is very quick over the first 5 yards (the most important bit), he is two footed and he gets into good positions. He is also very diligent at tracking his opponent. As with many of our players I think he would probably do better in a front foot, high pressing team instead of a instead of a deeper team looking to play counter attack. I think he is a bit short of confidence at the moment and that is impacting his performances but he has the tools required to be a very good PL player.

Last edited:
I agree with you here. I think his main attributes are that he is very quick over the first 5 yards (the most important bit), he is two footed and he gets into good positions. He is also very diligent at tracking his opponent. As with many of our players I think he would probably do better in a front foot, high pressing team instead of a instead of a deeper team looking to play counter attack. I think he is a bit short of confidence at the moment and that is impacting his performances but he has the tools required to be a very good PL player.
It’s quite a thing how many of our players look short of confidence with such a winning mentality manager at the helm!

He has the potential to be a GREAT player imo.
The pace, trickery and actually decision-making ar top notch. I must say, if he was being coached by a more attack-minded manager we'd be worried that he might get poached from us...

The pace, trickery and actually decision-making ar top notch. I must say, if he was being coached by a more attack-minded manager we'd be worried that he might get poached from us...

I totally agree. You wouldn't think it from his appearance but I recon he's actually pretty fragile. Mentally he's not very strong. Technically he is clearly skilled. Just lost his mojo a little.

I totally agree. You wouldn't think it from his appearance but I recon he's actually pretty fragile. Mentally he's not very strong. Technically he is clearly skilled. Just lost his mojo a little.

Can agree with that, he has lost his mojo but he is still a kid who is trying to establish himself into a much faster/physical league and also a different Country. His ability is there and i am sure he will be a top player in time, i really hope it is here.

Agree. I think his remit has been a mostly a defensive one that has curtailed his attacking qualities. He has done that because he has been asked to, and probably thought 'if that's what it takes to get games, I will'

There is definitely more there, and we have seen it on occasion. The major quality he looks to have is sound decision making...he knows when to pass or go it alone and be effective doing both as well.

He reminds me of, but I think he can be a better version of, Steed Malbranque.

Last edited:
Can agree with that, he has lost his mojo but he is still a kid who is trying to establish himself into a much faster/physical league and also a different Country. His ability is there and i am sure he will be a top player in time, i really hope it is here.

Agree. He has a lot of similar capabilities/strengths as Sonny, though a few years younger so hopefully he can use that time to grow into a similar player!

Agree. I think his remit has been a mostly a defensive one that has curtailed his attacking qualities. He has done that because he has been asked to, and probably thought 'if that's what it takes to get games, I will'

There is definitely more there, and we have seen it on occasion. The major quality he looks to have is sound decision making...he knows when to pass or go it alone and be effective doing both as well.

He reminds me of, but I think he can be a better version of, Steed Malbranque.

Agreed. I actually can't wait to see what he'll be like under a more progressive manager/coach. He could even eventually surpass Son's levels...

Agreed. I actually can't wait to see what he'll be like under a more progressive manager/coach. He could even eventually surpass Son's levels...

Bergwijn? Based on what exactly?

I'm interested to see what he looks like under a different manager too but be serious for a minute he's never shown anything to hint at that level of potential

Bergwijn? Based on what exactly?

I'm interested to see what he looks like under a different manager too but be serious for a minute he's never shown anything to hint at that level of potential

Before his injury last season (before he was fully immersed in Jose-fication) he showed a good eye for goal and in both seasons i think showed good decision-makinjg on when to shoot and when to pass. As in looked up at options around him and not just head down running like some others. He has stagnated like any young striker would who needs these skills harnessed and hasn't already grown.

His confidence looks shot as the misses have mounted up but he has shown great potential before that Liverpool game away

Before his injury last season (before he was fully immersed in Jose-fication) he showed a good eye for goal and in both seasons i think showed good decision-makinjg on when to shoot and when to pass. As in looked up at options around him and not just head down running like some others. He has stagnated like any young striker would who needs these skills harnessed and hasn't already grown.

His confidence looks shot as the misses have mounted up but he has shown great potential before that Liverpool game away

Fair enough, he's looked bang average to me

Like everyone has bar our top two players under Jose.
However, his early involvements plus some bright spots here and there this season give me belief that i should wait until we have a more attacking manager who will actually harness his skillset before i fully judge him.

I think Poch would have made him look much better for a start

Agree - Just no outstanding feature other than work rate. Technically ok but not enough pace to burst away from his man, bricks the bed in front of goal, no discernible long range shooting or two footed ability to speak of, don’t remember any particularly progressive passes.
Maybe he could become a tidy central midfielder or full back but without the pace we were told he has his attacking contribution has been very limited.

Agree - Just no outstanding feature other than work rate. Technically ok but not enough pace to burst away from his man, bricks the bed in front of goal, no discernible long range shooting or two footed ability to speak of, don’t remember any particularly progressive passes.
Maybe he could become a tidy central midfielder or full back but without the pace we were told he has his attacking contribution has been very limited.

You're forgetting his goal vs Man Utd last season then i take it? Or his debut goal vs Emirates Marketing Project?

He has absolutely regressed under Jose i agree

You're forgetting his goal vs Man Utd last season then i take it? Or his debut goal vs Emirates Marketing Project?

He has absolutely regressed under Jose i agree
Debut goal was amazing technique, but it’s not a situation he finds himself in very often - I also think that he pulled up after an extraordinary long sprint in that game which may have affected his apparently trademark pace.

The United one went through the keeper. Since then he’s definitely lost his nerve and like I say he’s tidy but ineffective. I always try and look for positives but I just don’t see anything about him that excites me for the future.

That RWF position has 4 players who all have different weaknesses that leaves us uber reliant on Son. When Bale had his little run of games it showed how we can look to stretch teams with a dual goal threat, admittedly at the expense of any decent defensive support!

Back