• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Steven Bergwijn

Are there any Stattos that can provide his top speed this season and compare it to others in our squad?

I am afraid I didn't see that at all. In fact in one foot race against Walker he looked positively slow. Yes Walker is fast, but Bergwyn made no impression on him. Lucas and Reggie made much better attempts - although they too fell short. Don't know what Bergwyn did for people to say he played well. He certainly played a good role defensively and put in a good shift for the team, but in attacking sense, I felt he was off the pace ( literally) which was epitomised by not getting his shot off quickly enough and allow the City player to get his body between him and the ball.

I can only hope he is carrying an injury and that it clears up really quickly.
Walker is fast, yes. Stronger words would better describe his pace, but fast is accurate.

Lucas is himself really quick, he came on with fresh legs towards the end and still Walker pretty much matched him having played close to a full game of football. Reguilon is rapid, at least, still couldn't get the better of Walker.

I think Bergwijn did well not to try to take on Walker for pace all that much. Rather play more of a wide playmaker role. There were limited opportunities to do that, but for the offside goal he showed what he can do.

He is indeed lacking a bit of sharpness, that's to be expected. But he easily did enough to see why he was picked in the starting lineup. For a player that I don't think anyone expected would start that's pretty good.

People seem to expect Bergwijn to be Lennon, Son or even Lucas in terms of pace. He's not a player that will consistently beat his man with speed (even in the Dutch league).

His strengths lie in his passing and movement around the box. That being said he's certainly not 'slow'.

Are there any Stattos that can provide his top speed this season and compare it to others in our squad?
I cannot find any figures for Bergwijn but stumbled across this scouting report from 2018 which seems pertinent...

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/player-analysis/steven-bergwijn-psv-eindhoven-tactical-analysis
...Although he is athletic and quick, Steven is perhaps not the quickest when it comes to pure fast-twitch muscle speed (unlike Lozano, who is blisteringly fast). While Bergwijn is not impeded by his speed on the ball, having a great touch makes up for a lot of the problems that occur when he can’t quite beat an opponent with pure speed.

Bergwijn’s fleet footed PSV teammate, Lozano, is still not as rapid as Walker...

Top speeds at the 2018 FIFA World Cup:

1. Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal) Top speed: 34km/h
=1. Ante Rebic (Croatia): 34km/h

3. Luis Advincula (Peru): 33.8km/h
4. Santiago Arias (Colombia): 33.6km/h
5. Kyle Walker (England): 33.5km/h
=5. Jesse Lingard (England): 33.5km/h

7. Maciej Rybus (Poland): 33.3km/h
=7. Marquinhos (Brazil): 33.3km/h
=7. Aleksandr Golovin (Russia): 33.3km/h
=7. Dani Carvajal (Spain): 33.3km/h
=7. Hirving Lozano (Mexico): 33.3km/h
=7. Heechan Hwang (South Korea): 33.3km/h

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/fifa-reveal-20-fastest-players-summers-world-cup-167154

People seem to expect Bergwijn to be Lennon, Son or even Lucas in terms of pace. He's not a player that will consistently beat his man with speed (even in the Dutch league).

His strengths lie in his passing and movement around the box. That being said he's certainly not 'slow'.

His movement pulled the defenders in to allow Lo Celso the space to run free and score. Quality movement.

I think he is a good player, he is no greyhound but he has skill and that at the end of the day is important. Been struggling with injury problems since he has been here but imo when he gets fit he will be a good asset for us.

I cannot find any figures for Bergwijn but stumbled across this scouting report from 2018 which seems pertinent...

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/player-analysis/steven-bergwijn-psv-eindhoven-tactical-analysis

Bergwijn’s fleet footed PSV teammate, Lozano, is still not as rapid as Walker...

Top speeds at the 2018 FIFA World Cup:

1. Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal) Top speed: 34km/h
=1. Ante Rebic (Croatia): 34km/h

3. Luis Advincula (Peru): 33.8km/h
4. Santiago Arias (Colombia): 33.6km/h
5. Kyle Walker (England): 33.5km/h
=5. Jesse Lingard (England): 33.5km/h

7. Maciej Rybus (Poland): 33.3km/h
=7. Marquinhos (Brazil): 33.3km/h
=7. Aleksandr Golovin (Russia): 33.3km/h
=7. Dani Carvajal (Spain): 33.3km/h
=7. Hirving Lozano (Mexico): 33.3km/h
=7. Heechan Hwang (South Korea): 33.3km/h

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/fifa-reveal-20-fastest-players-summers-world-cup-167154
Fairplay to Ronaldo...he was 33years old then.

I think Bergwijn did well not to try to take on Walker for pace all that much.

Agreed, it was interesting when Reggie tried to knock it past Walker in the first 10 minutes; Walker just turned and outsprinted him. Seems like Walker is getting faster. Remarkable pace.

Agreed! I've said it in a few of the OMTs that he's out most industrious forward at the moment. Including Kane and Son. Runs his nuts off and makes things happen. Really rate him.

Yep, he seems to be getting fitter as well after one or two injurys. Becoming a big part of Jose plans i think.

Agreed! I've said it in a few of the OMTs that he's out most industrious forward at the moment. Including Kane and Son. Runs his nuts off and makes things happen. Really rate him.

Yep, he seems to be getting fitter as well after one or two injurys. Becoming a big part of Jose plans i think.

I think that staying back here during the last international break was the turning point. He got to regain fitness and work with the coaches meaning that he was trusted for the City game. He took his chance and has built on that.

Back