• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Squad not good enough...or unable to play a different style?

is that not partly because Son stayed wider last night than he did against Burnley, leaving less space for the overlap

also, tactically, Davies can come in to make a three allowing the RB to push up, we've used that a lot under Jose
Yeah we have but I just think he is a poor player
His passing is weak
His defensive work is weak
He has no aggression to his game
And he doesn’t really support attacks anymore

Yeah we have but I just think he is a poor player
His passing is weak
His defensive work is weak
He has no aggression to his game
And he doesn’t really support attacks anymore

he's definitely off form, no more so than others in the team though, he didn't stand out for me as having a particularly bad game last night

you can't move into a space that isn't there, space is everything, that always has to come first
Come on, when was the last time you have seen Davies get forward at a regular rate?
If he pushed forward Son would move to adjust for it, just like he does with Reguillon.

Come on, when was the last time you have seen Davies get forward at a regular rate?
If he pushed forward Son would move to adjust for it, just like he does with Reguillon.

against Everton, first game against WAC

the space has to come first, you can't run or pass until the space has been made

is that not partly because Son stayed wider last night than he did against Burnley, leaving less space for the overlap

also, tactically, Davies can come in to make a three allowing the RB to push up, we've used that a lot under Jose

Pass map doesn't show that, shows Son actually being little more central against Fulham

Basically what I see as the differences

- Both Aurier & Reguilon pass the ball forward more
- The left side is higher in the Reguilon/Aurier pairing vs. Davies/Doherty, it overloads the opposition right (defending against Reguilon/Son/+AM must be a nightmare)
- Reguilon/Aurier also use the central outlet of PEH/Ndombele more
- Based on the CB passing as well, either the CBs are less confident or the Davies/Doherty pair don't make themselves as available

Clear area to prioritize over summer, Sessegnon back, probably worth investing in a RB as well

Pass map doesn't show that, shows Son actually being little more central against Fulham

Basically what I see as the differences

- Both Aurier & Reguilon pass the ball forward more
- The left side is higher in the Reguilon/Aurier pairing vs. Davies/Doherty, it overloads the opposition right (defending against Reguilon/Son/+AM must be a nightmare)
- Reguilon/Aurier also use the central outlet of PEH/Ndombele more
- Based on the CB passing as well, either the CBs are less confident or the Davies/Doherty pair don't make themselves as available

Clear area to prioritize over summer, Sessegnon back, probably worth investing in a RB as well

I was looking at heat maps on whoscored. There was more room outside Son against Burnley.

It may of course be tactical.

I was looking at heat maps on whoscored. There was more room outside Son against Burnley.

It may of course be tactical.

Can you get the heat maps for both games? might be interesting to compare to pass maps.

I feel like the tactics/objectives for both games were similar, the personnel execution (specifically the FBs) was the difference between a very good performance and a got away with it one.

Can you get the heat maps for both games? might be interesting to compare to pass maps.

I feel like the tactics/objectives for both games were similar, the personnel execution (specifically the FBs) was the difference between a very good performance and a got away with it one.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1485542/Live/England-Premier-League-2020-2021-Fulham-Tottenham

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1485361/Live/England-Premier-League-2020-2021-Tottenham-Burnley

I'd say Son's pass/touch maps show the same thing, and the difference in Davies/Reguilon is primarily in that extra space.

The difference is one attacks the space
The other doesn’t so is attacked with counters
Their right back hammered our left side every chance he could and stood out to me along with the American lad at left back
Aina was excellent every time he got the ball but it didn’t help that gentle Ben back pedals every time

The difference is one attacks the space
The other doesn’t so is attacked with counters
Their right back hammered our left side every chance he could and stood out to me along with the American lad at left back
Aina was excellent every time he got the ball but it didn’t help that gentle Ben back pedals every time

Reguilon also has double the number of touches (83) and higher up vs Davies (40), Son's number of touches interestingly is almost the same in both games

Heat maps (thanks @Baleforce) also show the build out more on our left vs. Burnley, switches to right vs. Fulham (and Doherty's lack of effectiveness didn't help here as well)

Reguilon also has double the number of touches (83) and higher up vs Davies (40), Son's number of touches interestingly is almost the same in both games

Heat maps (thanks @Baleforce) also show the build out more on our left vs. Burnley, switches to right vs. Fulham (and Doherty's lack of effectiveness didn't help here as well)
I still think Doherty wasn’t helped as he had no cover until Dele came over to help
So he couldn’t attack with comfort and defensive was regularly dealing with 2 players

Davies is a steady player and does have a place in the squad as he can fill in several positions, but trying to compere him with Reggy is a little unfair as they are totally different players.

Davies is a steady player and does have a place in the squad as he can fill in several positions, but trying to compere him with Reggy is a little unfair as they are totally different players.
It's not really unfair, they play the same position. The difference is in their attributes and hence quality. Reguillion is just a better LB than Davies ever was and Davies is only degrading in quality as time passes.

Last edited:
It's not really unfair, they play the same position. The difference is in their attributes and hence quality. Reguillion is just a better LB than Davies ever was and Davies is only degrading in quality as time passes.
That’s part of my frustration with gentle Ben... he literally has got worse

Of course Reggy is a better player ( in every way) what is unfair is complaining that he does not have the same strengths. That is pretty obvious, which was my point. He is a steady player and a good player to have in the squad as he can play different systems.

I accept that he has become a target for some though.

Back