• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Squad not good enough...or unable to play a different style?

I think it is counter productive to have first reserve players who force you to have to alter your tactics. Sessegnon coming back should allow us to raise some valuable transfer funds by selling Davies and have the advantage that us having to play our first reserve will not require us to also have to change tactics.

The £10m or so that we could probably get for Davies could pay 30 to 50 percent of the fee for a decent centre half.

I think it is counter productive to have first reserve players who force you to have to alter your tactics. Sessegnon coming back should allow us to raise some valuable transfer funds by selling Davies and have the advantage that us having to play our first reserve will not require us to also have to change tactics.

The £10m or so that we could probably get for Davies could pay 30 to 50 percent of the fee for a decent centre half.

Yes, if

- The incoming CB can play on left (problem we have as only Rodon naturally "likes" left CB spot)
- We are sure Sess will be ready
- You find a buyer in a club Davies is willing to go to.

I wouldn't be surprised if Levy got a bit more than £10M, very experienced RB who can play CB and will only be 28 in summer. Would fit in well in team where the expectation for him to go forward would be less.

Yes, agreed. Skipp and Sessegnon coming back (assuming they're not loaned out again) could be big for us in terms of freeing up other players to leave, giving us more strength in depth and helping the HG / NHG issue

I like Davies but agree with you that having to chagne style when he comes in is difficult. Last night I thought we were really lacking going forward on the left.

I think we'll find takers at £10m. Someone like Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Villa, etc. Southampton have Bertrand, West Ham have Creswell, Everton have Digne,....otherwise they'd be sensible takers for him too

Perhaps we have been looking at this problem the wrong way, i.e. we have been thinking about the ability of the players vs. the attitude. The Lamela/Lucas threads and their contributions, plus Jose's comments re Lo Celso (and his infamous intelligent clams quote) made me think about the squad differently.

Poch clearly had a preference for players who would good people as well as good players, that plus Spurs historical too nice/soft tag is interesting.

Kane, Son, Dele, Winks, Ndombele, Davies, Bale, Lloris, Toby -> big part of the team that seem nice/reserved personalities

Lamela & PEH seem the obvious exception, perhaps Dier (but the ability doesn't seem to match their)

Lucas seems the nice guys exception to the rule, he plays his ass off every game. Bale historically has been able to step up for the very biggest games.

So the question maybe is, instead of only squad/individual quality should we be looking at the attitude/mental application? (back to Jose's clams comment, most great sides I can think of had truly unlikeable personalities)

Perhaps we have been looking at this problem the wrong way, i.e. we have been thinking about the ability of the players vs. the attitude. The Lamela/Lucas threads and their contributions, plus Jose's comments re Lo Celso (and his infamous intelligent clams quote) made me think about the squad differently.

Poch clearly had a preference for players who would good people as well as good players, that plus Spurs historical too nice/soft tag is interesting.

Kane, Son, Dele, Winks, Ndombele, Davies, Bale, Lloris, Toby -> big part of the team that seem nice/reserved personalities

Lamela & PEH seem the obvious exception, perhaps Dier (but the ability doesn't seem to match their)

Lucas seems the nice guys exception to the rule, he plays his ass off every game. Bale historically has been able to step up for the very biggest games.

So the question maybe is, instead of only squad/individual quality should we be looking at the attitude/mental application? (back to Jose's clams comment, most great sides I can think of had truly unlikeable personalities)

Yes we really should, but I've always said it goes beyond the players.
It goes much higher in my opinion.
As a club we act like the underdog, the underachieving sibling.
We are forever look as if we don't believe we belong with the big boys.
It's especially true when we are playing the bigger English clubs, man u, Liverpool, and even City and Chelsea now.
I honestly believe if we had played any non English team in tge CL final we win it. Just like I believe we play any English team we lose it.

Hard work will only get you so far you need quality along with that hard work. You also need a balanced fist 11 with players that complement each other and emphasize each others strengths and minimise their weaknesses. You need a shape or system gives them all a platform to perform.

I don't know what you've been watching for the last year and a half under Mourinho but we don't have any of that. Even the argument of hard work alone falls down as he has shown he can't get them to work hard enough to cover for their inadequacies.

He isn't the solution for us.

Mourinho doesn't have the players to compete with the likes of Josip Misic and Mario Gavranovic
Continue looking at names. We are the same clowns who lost against a team lower than Championship level. Attitude can trump lazy talent. Also DZ was the club that produced Luca Modric. Give some respect to them. They just dumped our sorry arses out of Europe.

Continue looking at names. We are the same clowns who lost against a team lower than Championship level. Attitude can trump lazy talent. Also DZ was the club that produced Luca Modric. Give some respect to them. They just dumped our sorry arses out of Europe.
But you are guilty of the same fallacy, you're also looking at names, you see the name Jose Mourinho and you're expecting better based on his track record, yet the evidence is showing anything but success.

Last edited:
But you are guilty of the same fallacy, you're also looking at names, you see the name Jose Mourinho and you're expecting better based on his track record, yet the evidence is showing anything but success.

I trust the name Jose Mourinho more than the name of any Spurs player at the moment to win a trophy. I am sure if Jose leaves this club to join club B and we do a bet between who would be first between that club B and the current set of Spurs players to win a trophy, I am pretty sure who would win the bet.

I think Grealish is not the only one we missed and thus shot ourselves in the foot over.

But Lamela can do that job......

I think Grealish is not the only one we missed and thus shot ourselves in the foot over.

But Lamela can do that job......

We’ve not shot ourselves in the foot if the other club refuses to sell.

Similarly, we’ve not shot ourselves in the foot by accepting a bid for Danny Rose only to have him not agree terms.

There are 4 parties in a transfer, we only control one of them.

Back