• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Squad and matchday team selection analysis

90sSpursBook

Erik Edman
Just been looking through some recent line up's and matchday squads to better be able to predict how Mourinho might use the squad most effectively throughout the remainder of the season.

I'm plagiarising the Extra Inch podcast (other good podcasts are available including our very own The Game is About Glory) but we seem to have moved away from an 'A' Premier League team and a 'B' Europa Cup team which is neccessary when the standard of opposition improves. Instead it seems that we have our mainstays and then our extra's.

I suspect I'm of the same opinion of many that Jose's 'go-to' players are now established as:
LLoris, Reguilon, Holjbjerg, Son, Kane and Ndombele.

Perhaps there are some specific circumstances that Davies may be selected at left back but as the season has progressed, as long as Reggie has been fit, he has been picked.

Bale looks like he could be about to be added to this ultra-dependable list now.

It's hard to know what his thought process is at Central defence. Sanchez has played in each of the last 6 League games plus the Everton FA Cup tie. Conversely, Dier has now been left out of the last 3 PL starting XI's with Toby starting. I don't yet feel that any of the three of them has won Jose's ultimate trust and I think it could be any combination picked for Woolwich on Sunday or for the cup final.

At right back Aurier's recent injuries mean it's difficult to definitively suggest he's the first choice right back - in reality I think he's probably considered the least worst option of the two rather than a long -term solution.

If you were going to imagine what our Cup Final (or significant fixture) would be I think that means that 9/11 slots are taken and so the gaps to fill are at central defence and in the advanced midfield slot aka #10.

You could therefore break down the squad (in context of the remainder of this season and not beyond as)

A - Ultra-dependable who will always be picked if fit
Lloris, Reguilon, Hojbjerg, Son, Bale, Kane, Ndombele

B - Best option in their position and/or trusted to fulfil a functional role
Toby, Sanchez, Lamela, Sissoko, Lo Celso, Lucas, Davies

C - Only likely to be rotated in if others injured/suspended/in need of rest/opposition considered to be sufficiently weaker
Doherty, Winks, Hart, Rodon, Dier, Bergwijn, Vinicius

Dele I think is probably now in a C+ group and Sissoko is arguably now a B-.

This a dynamic assessment and players can move in and out of groups as time progresses.

With the business end of the season now reaching full flow I believe we'll see a number of changes per game but we'll get an indication of how important Jose feels each game is and/or relative strength of opposition based on the number of 'A-list' players in each starting XI.

In the 4 games since Reggie has returned to fitness and Bale has joined the A'-list this is how many of them have started each game:

Wolfsberger (h) 0 started, 1 sub, 5 unused subs
Burnley (h) 7 started
Fulham (a) 6 started , 1 unused sub (Reguilon)
C Palace (h) 6 started, 1 unused sub (Ndombele)
Dinamo Zagreb (h) 4 started, 2 subs (PEH, Bale), 1 unused sub (Reguilon)

Whilst the NLD is of paramount importance to us perhaps Jose will have half an eye on the second leg in Zagreb next week. However, derby aside we need to accumulate a lot of points quickly for the rest of the season so i would predict that all 7 'A' will be in the starting XI.

Last night's first leg win allows the opportunity for a little more rotation - we already know Hojbjerg won't play through suspension but I'd be surprised if any more than one other is not in the starting XI.

These two results, and any fitness issues, will have a bearing on the significance of the Villa away game next weekend but I'd predict, all being well, that maybe 6 of them start that game.

Nice work, a few thoughts

- Yesterday was important to both win and not concede the away goal, hence I think it was a slightly stronger than normal side for Europa
- Jose really does prioritize the current game over the next, I expect an absolute full strength team Sunday
- Agree Sissoko has fallen, but will probably still be a close out game option
- Will see where Lo Celso fits in when fit.

I think he is pairing his full backs up more now to counter balance each other
Doherty has started lately with Reggie
Aurier with Davies
It’s a balance that allows the wonky full back system and still keep a full back as an auxiliary CB.
But that could easily be done to fitness too

Generally agree with your thoughts, and the 7 in your A list could form the basis of a title winning team. Just that the other 4, in particular the two CBs, are a long way short of that A list

Also agree that we're likely to see full strengths teams on Sunday and then next Sunday; the team for the EL next week will then be largely second choice with however many first choice players are needed to be able to breathe comfortably, but probably only a couple of them.

Then re-assess priorities after the international break based on how the league table looks and what the EL draw looks like (assuming we get through)

PS I saw that England have 3 world cup qualifiers during the international break, so Kane likely to be flogged to death then. Hopefully we can rest him for the Zagreb game as he needs a break at some point

I think you should field as strong a team as you can in the Europa League 1st legs and do your best to ensure you can try and rotate a bit in the 2nd leg

Back