• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs on International Duty

I have been banging the drum for Andros all summer and I was stunned when so many people were saying he was not good enough for us, Championship level some said.

Heck I think I was the first person on here to put him forward for England on this forum after his first 2 or 3 matches of the season

i was not meaning you actually steff because i very rarely see you on the youth thread at the top of the sight, i will not name names or no doubt i will get a ban, but i actually meant some of the people in that thread who write off our young players before they even give them a chance. If you had the time and energy you could read back through the youth/loans thread and see the ones i mean.

For the record i also think carroll and smith if they were given half a season in the prem would prove to be top league standard and maybe more. If we give our young skill based players the chance they will prove they have the talent, it is just their paths to first team football at the top level is often blocked.

I love Carroll as a player and hope his loan helps him big-time because he is a huge talent...ditto Livermore, who is doing really well at Hull and who I hope comes back to offer us solid DM alternatives in games such as last weekends...I personally felt that Townsend's attitude might not be right, and that he might suffer because of that/fail to take on coaching advice, etc. But it's great to see that his determination and confidence has also absorbed some genuine focus and hard-work on his game. To be fair to AVB, he gave him a shot, he gave him the chance and both have enjoyed the fruits of it. I think it's important to note that when he varies his game like he did tonight, he will get better shooting windows as people are not sure what he will do. His use of the ball tonight, generally, was top class, with plenty of smart, quick passing, which bodes very very well. Credit too to Walker who was right there for him in the first-half, very good performance from him too...

But hats off to him, the lad has proven himself and then some...delighted mate.

I have been banging the drum for Andros all summer and I was stunned when so many people were saying he was not good enough for us, Championship level some said.

Heck I think I was the first person on here to put him forward for England on this forum after his first 2 or 3 matches of the season

good for you mate...but as someone who championed him, you would have to admit that since the summer he has developed his game/is still developing his game, to another level...the level which will see him as a regular in both sides. He is the player he was last season with some maturity and more awareness/ intelligence...of course I suppose that also comes from regular matches/confidence, etc...but I think first 'arry at QPR and specifically AVB/Freundy this summer have really done some fine work helping him develop.

I agree with Keane. He has to think about his defensive duties.

Seriously? I was specifically looking out for Townsend's defensive performance today and thought it was very good. Maybe I'm wrong / being unfair, but it seems to me that people often make the assumption that he's sub-par defensively because of the style of player he is going forward. Same thing re Milner - people think he must be super-human defensively because he's so **** going forward.

I love Carroll as a player and hope his loan helps him big-time because he is a huge talent...ditto Livermore, who is doing really well at Hull and who I hope comes back to offer us solid DM alternatives in games such as last weekends...I personally felt that Townsend's attitude might not be right, and that he might suffer because of that/fail to take on coaching advice, etc. But it's great to see that his determination and confidence has also absorbed some genuine focus and hard-work on his game. To be fair to AVB, he gave him a shot, he gave him the chance and both have enjoyed the fruits of it. I think it's important to note that when he varies his game like he did tonight, he will get better shooting windows as people are not sure what he will do. His use of the ball tonight, generally, was top class, with plenty of smart, quick passing, which bodes very very well. Credit too to Walker who was right there for him in the first-half, very good performance from him too...

But hats off to him, the lad has proven himself and then some...delighted mate.

I agree with that, he has been shooting to much in the league and i said in last few games he needs to judge when to shoot, but his skill is there he just needs a run of games 20/30 games i am still not convinced he will get that at spurs.

The are a lot of young english players that have skill and try to play the game in the right way but do not get that needed 20/30 games to settle into the top flight in a team with other quality experinced players. That lad at Chelsea Mcheran(spelling) has the talent and looked good in parts, if chelsea had to play him because of a quota system then he would have other good players and come through.

The are lots of young players who play the game in the right way but will not get the chance to show it, Mason despite all his injuries is clearly aa talented player, maybe not suited to us becausse of his injuries, but imagine a scenario where he was playing for Norwich in the prem in a few years time and having an injury free season. England have injuries to their main midfielders, he would be the sort of guy you want to come in because he plays the game the right way.

Im sure if we had a quota even as low as 5 players on the pitch had to be english it would benefit the national team no end and would not weaken the club sides either.

Seriously? I was specifically looking out for Townsend's defensive performance today and thought it was very good. Maybe I'm wrong / being unfair, but it seems to me that people often make the assumption that he's sub-par defensively because of the style of player he is going forward. Same thing re Milner - people think he must be super-human defensively because he's so **** going forward.

I have been talking up Townsend for some time while others have been saying he should either be put on the left or dropped for Lamela.

But he is not perfect. A couple of times tonight he was missing defensively.

I know this is nit-picking but its is a valid point IMO

But, feck it-he was fecking great tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been talking up Townsend for some time while others have been saying he should either be put on the left or dropped for Lamela.

But he is not perfect. A couple of times tonight he was missing defensively.

I know this is nit-picking but its is a valid point IMO

But, feck it-he was fecking great tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think he really rose to the occasion tonight.

One of the best games I've seen him play. Decision making was better than I've seen him for spurs.

i was not meaning you actually steff because i very rarely see you on the youth thread at the top of the sight, i will not name names or no doubt i will get a ban, but i actually meant some of the people in that thread who write off our young players before they even give them a chance. If you had the time and energy you could read back through the youth/loans thread and see the ones i mean.

For the record i also think carroll and smith if they were given half a season in the prem would prove to be top league standard and maybe more. If we give our young skill based players the chance they will prove they have the talent, it is just their paths to first team football at the top level is often blocked.

I just searched the youth thread and the only person I could see ****ging Townsend was yourself, saying he wouldn't get a chance at Spurs and would be sold to WBA, but I think it must have been one of your reverse psychotic rants where you mean the opposite of what you type.

IIRC Spaceman is the guy that consistently ****s off youth products like Carroll but failures are more common than successes so he is probably right more than he is wrong

Most of the ****ging is for Falque and Livermore IIRC

I still don't know. I'll take my proverbial hat off to him and say well done for tonight's performance. But is he that good? He can be. He needs to improve but he has improved a lot over the course of last season.

I'm starting to appreciate him and think that he could have a big future if he's sensible and continues to improve. I'm just not yet ready to decide whether he's the next big thing.

I just searched the youth thread and the only person I could see ****ging Townsend was yourself, saying he wouldn't get a chance at Spurs and would be sold to WBA, but I think it must have been one of your reverse psychotic rants where you mean the opposite of what you type.

IIRC Spaceman is the guy that consistently ****s off youth products like Carroll but failures are more common than successes so he is probably right more than he is wrong

Standard Ben

I'd just like to point out I was the only person to put Townsend in my top 3 favourites Spurs players. The glory is all mine.

As I remember Andros is still on about £3000 a week, well I expect him to sign a new contract before the end of the season

well i know there have been lots over the last couple of years that have ****ged off our young players, despite all the time and effort we put into them with top class coaches and sending them to competitions all over the world, they just wanted to dump them as soon as they could.

Back