• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs -itus - is it a thing?

Pirate55

The Last Man Standing 17/18
Thus isn't just another Spurs post, it is looking at why players seem to come to us either really playing well for their previous team ( hence presumably why we bought them) or started their career at Spurs brightly before catching the general mood, and then going to another club and immediately performing at a high level once again.

I think it started with Ade. He was superb on loan or when he was playing for a new contract. As soon as nephew became full time his form went off a cliff.
Trippiers last season with us was a disaster, he went to Inter and won the league.
Sanchez looked the mutts nuts in his first season before going backwards.
Walker-Peters started brightly, was never really given a run and is now performing well for Soton.
Lo Celso came on loan. Played well enough to be awarded a full contract and then went backwards. Is now tearing it up for both VillaReal and Argentina.
Foyth was deemed not good enough but now has a Europa winners medal.
Eriksen was really poor in his last year with us. Couldn't beat the first man from a corner and couldn't score a direct free kick to save his life ( having earlier been a maestro of them) He just won the league with Inter and has seemingly regained his ability to kick a dead ball.
Aurier was the leading assister for PSG but always looked like a car crash for us.
Sessegnon looked really promising at Fulham but has been a big disappointment for us. Ditto NDombele.
Reggie looked top notch in his first few games. Really fast and able to deliver a pinpoint cross ( one straight into Bales head for a goal is one I particularly remember). He has since gone off big time.
PEH looked just what the doctor ordered when he first joined, now not so much
Really hope both Bentancur and Kulu don't fall into that category. After a bright start, their last two games have been really disappointing- admittedly like the rest of the team.

What is it about Spurs? Which players have been an unqualified success since the Son signing? We have laid out a NET quarter of a BILLION pounds in the last three years. It really is criminally negligent to have ended up with the squad we now have.

Last edited:
£250m equates to 5 excellent first team players. But our first team buys have been very mixed - NDombele, Lo Celso vs Romero.
The young prospects have also been mixed...Sessegnon, Gil etc.
Finney hit the tickle my balls with a feather when he talked about the change of managers, meaning we are buying players to fit the vision of the manager before last!!

£250m equates to 5 excellent first team players. But our first team buys have been very mixed - NDombele, Lo Celso vs Romero.
Finney hit the tickle my balls with a feather when he talked about the change of managers, meaning we are buying players to fit the vision of the manager before last!!
I think I’ve finally realised what tickle my balls with a feather is the autocorrect for:D….

It’s absolutely a thing.

As Sherlock Holmes said,

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

We had a team managed by Jose, containing Lamela and Bale, yet still failed.

Finney hit the tickle my balls with a feather when he talked about the change of managers, meaning we are buying players to fit the vision of the manager before last!![/QUOTE]

Not meant to happen with a director of football. But the signing of Royal would suggest otherwise.

Mostly us signing players not suited to the system or us changing systems so players no longer fit imo. Or players being good in part because of the players around them who then change.

Then some players declining for various reasons as is natural.

There's been a lack (or frequent change) of overall strategy at least since Pochettino left. Under Pochettino too there were some, in hindsight at least, baffling decisions. But that brings up old Pochettino arguments that I'm not quite in the mood for so feel free to ignore that point.

The anomaly is 2015-2018, which can be explained by a few good players and something genuinely special about the relationship they had with Poch at the time. There’s nothing about the subsequent decline that requires diagnosis or soul-searching.

There definitely is something about us.
We as fans deride arsenal with signings and "flops" like ozil, PEA and arteta. Three f a cups in the last how many years?
We look down on Leicester, fluke league win, hackers, never do anything else. F a cup winners sf of a European trophy.
Man utd are falling apart, shadow the club they used to be. Won two trophies and finished 2nd in the league with a manager a lot of spurs supporters wrote off as a has been and a dinosaur. Anyone want to lay a bet that manager will win a trophy before Tottenham?
Think about this, modric, bale, kane, son hugo, jan, toby and Eriksen 0 trophies at Tottenham.

Jese lingard, ozil, marcus rashford, fellani, xhaka, bellerin, johny evans, ayoze perez, eack one of them individually have more medals playing in English football than all our superstars together.

There's a line trotted out on here whenever we fail to show up in the big games about how we always lose to bigger clubs to us, its not our fault really, we can't compete at the business end of tournaments because our squad is weak.
Thats absolutely gonad*s as far as I am concerned, not one of the squads that have won the seven trophies above have been any stronger than us, at least in the terms of talent. Mentally its a totally different prospect.

The thing that really concerns me is that despite repeated failings theres an element of the support that want to resign every ex player every time he becomes available, or hang on to players we have been repeatedly involved in the failures.

There's always a mix of big expectations from fans (where we moan and groan as soon as something isn't samba football) as well as a defeatist "same old Spurs" whenever we eventually do fudge up - and that's, whether we like it or not, definitely seeping into the culture of the club. It's rehashed by the media and fans all the fudging time. It's got to color the dressing room and the mentality of the players. We're just almost always under performing, even when we've been good for a long while, it only takes a defeat to Brighton to bring about the moaners and groaners.

That has to be a toxic environment to work in. You can't win. How many of our players have our fans's unconditional support? None of them! Everyone's brick unless they're bloody brilliant.

I'm not saying this is all on our fans obviously, but we're definitely part of making it a toxic culture around the club. We demand too much too quickly, and don't focus nearly enough on supporting our players when they're not performing well.

We’ve been consistently inconsistent since forever, apart from a sweet spot with Poch that @ShipOfGoldblum references.
In the main, it’s we can beat anyone.. then do what we’ve done the last 2 games, or simply not turn up for a CL final/ get hammered by relegated Saudi Sportswashing Machine 5-1 for the 3rd in a 2 horse race finale… which means we are about to hammer the bin dippers soon :D

Back