• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs in UCL if league is scrapped?

Points per game for this aborted season? For the last two seasons? Three? There's a big can of worms to be opened here...

Someone suggested earlier in this thread to simply skip European competition for the 20/21 season, and start a fresh with domestic qualification for the 21/22 season instead. I think that’s the best and fairest option if the PL gets cancelled. Won't happen of course, because money.

Honestly any "arbitrary" formula that selects teams will get challenged, and by challenged I mean lawsuits and courts (no one is going to give up tens of millions of pounds because the Scum got an extra round for example), both the PL and UEFA know this and hence the delays/hesitations in making a decision. To me it's simple options

- Try to finish the season and get a normal answer - honestly think this off the cards, there will not be football in time
- Null the season and revert to last season's starting point, incumbent position stands (while yes I'd be tinkled off if we were Leicester, it's probably the easiest "legal" position to defend as you are giving places to teams that did actually earn it in a full season)
- Null the EL/CL for the year both as a safety precaution and a get out of jail card (would give you the full year to finish this years cups as well), for the PL it doesn't resolve the winner, relegated issue however.

Honestly any "arbitrary" formula that selects teams will get challenged, and by challenged I mean lawsuits and courts (no one is going to give up tens of millions of pounds because the Scum got an extra round for example), both the PL and UEFA know this and hence the delays/hesitations in making a decision. To me it's simple options

- Try to finish the season and get a normal answer - honestly think this off the cards, there will not be football in time
- Null the season and revert to last season's starting point, incumbent position stands (while yes I'd be tinkled off if we were Leicester, it's probably the easiest "legal" position to defend as you are giving places to teams that did actually earn it in a full season)
- Null the EL/CL for the year both as a safety precaution and a get out of jail card (would give you the full year to finish this years cups as well), for the PL it doesn't resolve the winner, relegated issue however.
And the matter option also coincides with potential travel constraints etc...
But it doesn’t fill the coffers of UEFA or the clubs does it

Can anyone in here honestly read that thread title and think "yes, Spurs will be the UCL next season"? I mean, this is Spurs. If there's any way for us to miss out, we will.

That said, looking at the PL table, it would be incredibly unfair (but also incredibly funny) not to award the title to Liverpool. But what about the CL/EL and relegation places? I wouldn't be against play-offs for the CL/EL places, or for relegation for that matter, but where do you draw the lines? And what happens to all the mid-table teams?

Knowing our luck, it'll be a 6-team CL play-off so we just miss out.

Can anyone in here honestly read that thread title and think "yes, Spurs will be the UCL next season"? I mean, this is Spurs. If there's any way for us to miss out, we will.

That said, looking at the PL table, it would be incredibly unfair (but also incredibly funny) not to award the title to Liverpool. But what about the CL/EL and relegation places? I wouldn't be against play-offs for the CL/EL places, or for relegation for that matter, but where do you draw the lines? And what happens to all the mid-table teams?

I think whatever they do if it doesn’t get played out as a season is a problem
The reality is the club can argue quite reasonable that PPG is skewed as it doesn’t factor in current form (which is now out the window anyway)
Taking a 19 game season doesn’t allow for home advantage
And play offs although actually viable can only cover positions that were not clearly defined so basically all relegation and 3rd to 11th (3rd could be argued they couldn’t be caught quite reasonably)
If they scrap the league the club would argue massively (if we chose too) that it reverts to last seasons table then
A big thing would be for no European comps to be played next season allowing the leagues to catch up and also slowing for travel issues

Is this sacrilegious to say I'm not really arsed if we make it in to the CL? I know in the long run it's probably crucial to our finances so we do need to suckle on the UEFA teat but a year out of it might bring a bit of the magic back for the season following....

Get in to the CL so we can attract top quality players they say. Consistently getting in to the CL ended up with our current bunch of misfits and aging players incapable of winning anything or even just consistently putting spirited displays in. Is it an overly simplistic view? Sure I was dumbfounded that we managed to attract N'Dombele considering how highly he was thought of, look where we're at with him. Like many I was also dumbfounded when we literally signed no one in two transfer windows. Maybe people will say that we were just about to turn the corner what with the new stadium and now this has all kicked off it pushes everything back but given that the squad needs an overhaul and the structure does too (DOF / Scouting) but it sounds a bit "next season is our season" to me.

As much as we won't want to talk about it on here Leicester managed to assemble a PL winning squad without having CL football. I do love Spurs playing the best of the best and it is a massive point of pride, up until we get completely and utterly exposed like one rather torrid game earlier this season. Unless we have a massive turn of form + results go our way if the games are played, or get through by some glitch in the matrix / Uefa's system of divine justice it's not like the players have earned the right of what should be an elite competition...

This is my thought as well. If there are a dozen alternatives, and only 1 of them leave us out of the CL, that's the one it will be.

Is this sacrilegious to say I'm not really arsed if we make it in to the CL? I know in the long run it's probably crucial to our finances so we do need to suckle on the UEFA teat but a year out of it might bring a bit of the magic back for the season following....

Get in to the CL so we can attract top quality players they say. Consistently getting in to the CL ended up with our current bunch of misfits and aging players incapable of winning anything or even just consistently putting spirited displays in. Is it an overly simplistic view? Sure I was dumbfounded that we managed to attract N'Dombele considering how highly he was thought of, look where we're at with him. Like many I was also dumbfounded when we literally signed no one in two transfer windows. Maybe people will say that we were just about to turn the corner what with the new stadium and now this has all kicked off it pushes everything back but given that the squad needs an overhaul and the structure does too (DOF / Scouting) but it sounds a bit "next season is our season" to me.

As much as we won't want to talk about it on here Leicester managed to assemble a PL winning squad without having CL football. I do love Spurs playing the best of the best and it is a massive point of pride, up until we get completely and utterly exposed like one rather torrid game earlier this season. Unless we have a massive turn of form + results go our way if the games are played, or get through by some glitch in the matrix / Uefa's system of divine justice it's not like the players have earned the right of what should be an elite competition...
I agree with the idea of following Leicester's model.

If we put all our transfer kitty into steroids, casual racism and questionable refereeing decisions, we could win the title.

Worked well for those victim clams too.

Dutch league has been abandoned.

Sensible decisions made there imo, no champion, no relegation.

tenor.gif

Asking @galeforce if the league should continue is like asking a turkey if Christmas should be cancelled.

The Bundesliga is set to resume in May. See no reason why the premier league shouldn’t provided it is safe to do so.

Sensible decisions made there imo, no champion, no relegation.

tenor.gif

But they are using the current table to determine european places.

That would be the worst outcome for us financially; no gate receipts/spend at stadium, no final PL tv money instalment, no CL money next season or even europa money.

Its a worrying precedent now out there for determining european places. If the season isn't finished and we lose stadium income and tv income, we really could do with the blanket of CL next season but what the Dutch have done has called that into serious question.

fwiw it sounds like the season will played out behind closed doors, so whilst that means no stadium money it does mean tv money and an outside shot of getting that 5th place and CL for next season.

That would be the worst outcome for us financially; no gate receipts/spend at stadium, no final PL tv money instalment, no CL money next season or even europa money.

Its a worrying precedent now out there for determining european places. If the season isn't finished and we lose stadium income and tv income, we really could do with the blanket of CL next season but what the Dutch have done has called that into serious question.

fwiw it sounds like the season will played out behind closed doors, so whilst that means no stadium money it does mean tv money and an outside shot of getting that 5th place and CL for next season.

He’s not listening mate. It’s all white noise to him. The only thing he’s worried about is Liverpool winning the league.

I don’t think there should be any European football next season if all member leagues don’t complete their domestic season.

I don’t think there should be any European football next season if all member leagues don’t complete their domestic season.

That wont have any impact at all on the decision to have european competitions or not next season.

The only thing that could prevent them from being played is how prevalent the virus is at that time.

That wont have any impact at all on the decision to have european competitions or not next season.

The only thing that could prevent them from being played is how prevalent the virus is at that time.

Domestic leagues can only do what’s right for them, European places shouldn’t be a factor, the fact that they’ve taken the laziest solution suggests they didn’t give it any thought either.

It’s two separate points, I think the Dutch domestic decision is the right.

I agree
Travel is going to be an issue

Where does that leave the euros? What with it meant to be held across the continent. Would UEFA consider moving it to just one country? England for example? Although even that in itself could be dangerous and a logistical nightmare. Can’t see many countries volunteering to host it. Germany might make the most sense as they have dealt with this pandemic admirably and have fewer deaths as a result. Plus you know they will put on a great tournament as they have fantastic stadia and infrastructure in place from when they held the World Cup in 2006.

Back