• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs in 2022

Hotspur75

Danny Murphy
After the non-event that was the January window, I must say I am heartened by the lack of activity in the sense that it tells me beyond doubt that Poch is here for the (very) long term - he appears to have no or next to no short-term agenda (other than re-introducing Janssen for now) - but it is clear that his agenda and Levy's is a long term one.

If we look at the changes in the squad in the past few months, forced on Poch or not, we have seen Foyth getting regular game time in the PL, Skipp and KWP come through, Winks getting back into the frame and starting more games than before his injury, and Alli playing a better season until he got injured than in any of the previous years since he came to WHL (IMHO). That is the nucleus of our side in, say, three years from now, when we will be settled into our new stadium, and we may have reached, or be on the verge of reaching, Poch's "last level" (including trophies).

If we take a look, realistically, at how many of our current squad might be starters (or heavily involved squad players) at the beginning of 2022-23, it might well look something like this ...

GK: ?

Def: KWP, Foyth, Sanchez, ?

DM: Dier, Winks/Skipp

AM: Alli, ?, ?

CF: Kane

... with all of those being 28 or (much) younger still. He should have course put Dier (as leader of the back line) into a three, with Winks and Skipp playing in midfield together, depending on how they develop. Given how Poch has promoted Dier and Alli in particular to having more responsibilities, including the captaincy in League Cup games over the last two years when playing (some of) the kids, he may well be using those games to pre-shape (and think about) the team of 2022, and recruitment in the summer window may well take the fictional 2022 line-up above as a vantage point. In that sense, I would be surprised if we do not go back to Fulham for Sessegnon in the summer, for example. Also I think we will almost certainly be looking for a young English GK in the summer, who can be promoted when Hugo or Gazzaniga (whom I do not rate) leave.

Any idea who might be on the shortlist for the AM positions? Of course, Son and Lamela would still be under-30 as well, as would Moura.

Why 2022? Next summer is enough. We have quite a few players who will be at an age where they have one more big move in them. And their contracts are low. So

1) I think we might see wholesale changes over the summer - Rose, Verts, Toby, Eriksen if he doesn't sign on, Lamela, Wanyama, Trippier, even Lloris - are all possible sales. I hope we can keep all of them maybe bar Trippier but even he has been a decent squad player. If we are in the CL, then there are only a handful of clubs who can out-pay our wages - if Poch really wants to keep a player.

2) I like the way Poch has saved his pennies. In theory, he could slurge his cash on one of two top players. Be it a Bale (probably past it) or a fresh young talent.

A lot depends on how we fair in the league this season, but with Poch I am confident we'll start next season with a formidible team, especially if we can keep Eriksen and strengthen.

GK: ?

Def: KWP, Foyth, Sanchez, ?

DM: Dier, Winks/Skipp

AM: Alli, ?, ?

CF: Kane

I think expecting both Alli and Kane (in paticular) to stay to 2022 is a bit optimistic. Football runs in cycles, and given our enduring trophy drought, our cycle with this group of players feels like it won't last much longer. Alli is made for the top, as is Kane - therefore, I think at least one of them won't be here come 2022.

If I had to guess, I'd go....

GK: (New GK), Lloris, Whiteman/Glover/De Bie

- We'll probably bring in a new first-team quality keeper as Hugo ages, and given his age and him having won the World Cup, I doubt Hugo's going anywhere now. At most, he might go to PSG or somewhere to pick up mega-wages as a rotational keeper, but I'd bet against it. Third keeper will likely be a kid in the academy now.

Def: (New RB), (New RB), Foyth, Sanchez, (New left-footed CB), Verts, Rose, Davies

Trippier will hopefully have moved on - ditto Aurier. Sadly, I think KWP might move too - there are two first-team RBs in his way, and even if that changes and one of them leaves this summer, he will still only be second-choice. It's just rotten timing for him. Foyth will be in his prime, as will Sanchez. We may also buy a top-class left-footed CB as Verts ages - but Verts might hang around as the 4th CB. I'll also make a bold prediction and say that we will retain both Rose and Davies. Davies because he's perfectly serviceable and there's nowhere better for him to go, and Rose because no one will take him given his..erm, outspokenness. :p

Mid: Dier, Skipp (CDMs), Winks, (New CM), (New RAM), Moura, (New CAM), (New CAM), (New LAM), Sonny, (Some Kid), (Some Kid)

Dier might stay, because he's in that weird situation of being good enough to be a solid starter for us, but not really good enough to do better than us. Plus, Poch loves him and he loves us. :p Skipp will likely stick around, and possibly Winks, too. Re: Moura and Sonny, Moura might drift in and out of that starting RAM spot, and that might be enough to keep him around until then. Sonny...well, I just can't bear to see a Spurs team without Sonny in it, so he stays. :p I also think we'll use the youngsters of 2022 (Oliver Skipp-Peters and Harry Kane-Peters :D) to round out the squad. Just makes sense, since we already have one good replacement for every starting position (which makes 22 first teamers).

Striker: Kane, Vincent Janssen

Kane because..well, wouldn't you hope and pray for the same damn thing? :p And Vincent Janssen because he'll never leave - he'll still be here when the heat death of the universe is upon us. :D

Parrott will be 20 and forming a devastating partnership with Kane at this time :)

Why 2022? Next summer is enough. We have quite a few players who will be at an age where they have one more big move in them. And their contracts are low. So

1) I think we might see wholesale changes over the summer - Rose, Verts, Toby, Eriksen if he doesn't sign on, Lamela, Wanyama, Trippier, even Lloris - are all possible sales. I hope we can keep all of them maybe bar Trippier but even he has been a decent squad player. If we are in the CL, then there are only a handful of clubs who can out-pay our wages - if Poch really wants to keep a player.

2) I like the way Poch has saved his pennies. In theory, he could slurge his cash on one of two top players. Be it a Bale (probably past it) or a fresh young talent.

A lot depends on how we fair in the league this season, but with Poch I am confident we'll start next season with a formidible team, especially if we can keep Eriksen and strengthen.
Next summer is never enough. I can't imagine it is for Pochettino.

Chimbombots.

5654350_orig.jpg

Back