• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs' English/British players

diego_maradona

Steffen Iversen
Staff member
It's fantastic to have been linked to some great players from around the globe. You only need to look at the transfer rumours page to see Halilovic, Ericksen, Pjanic, Lamela, Capoue, and so on linked to us. However there is less and less english/british players on our radar seemingly. (Yes there is Deeny and Carlton Cole threads, but I hope they are in jest!)

I know there was an article about how we have abandoned our young English players policy not too long ago. But we had/have a squad of Lennon, Huddlestone, Jenas, Bentley, Bent, Dawson, Parker, Defoe, Rose, Walker, Townsend, Livermore, Caulker, Carroll...

However, I do wonder how long it will be until our first XI won't contain a single British player. Is it time the FA/Premier League introduce a homegrown quota rule now? Are we losing our identity with our new policy? Or is it the right strategy for the direction in which we want to take the club?

This is currently arguably our strongest XI:

-----------------LLoris----------------
Walker---Kaboul-----Verts-----Rose
----Sandro---Dembele---Paulinho-----
---Lennon--------------------Bale
----------------Soldado-----------------

It's fantastic to have been linked to some great players from around the globe. You only need to look at the transfer rumours page to see Halilovic, Ericksen, Pjanic, Lamela, Capoue, and so on linked to us. However there is less and less english/british players on our radar seemingly. (Yes there is Deeny and Carlton Cole threads, but I hope they are in jest!)

I know there was an article about how we have abandoned our young English players policy not too long ago. But we had/have a squad of Lennon, Huddlestone, Jenas, Bentley, Bent, Dawson, Parker, Defoe, Rose, Walker, Townsend, Livermore, Caulker, Carroll...

However, I do wonder how long it will be until our first XI won't contain a single British player. Is it time the FA/Premier League introduce a homegrown quota rule now? Are we losing our identity with our new policy? Or is it the right strategy for the direction in which we want to take the club?

This is currently arguably our strongest XI:

-----------------LLoris----------------
Walker---Kaboul-----Verts-----Rose
----Sandro---Dembele---Paulinho-----
---Lennon------Siggy-------Bale
----------------Soldado-----------------

Levy has clearly abandoned the demand placed on Managers/DoF to bring in young English talent. AVB doesn't give a brick about Spurs or Spurs's tradition and will therefore assemble the best team possible to restore his reputation and give him a launching pad to a bigger club (which is fine with us, because if he succeeds he will have also made Spurs more successful).

English players at Spurs will be a thing of the past in the next 18 months. We will soon be fielding an all foreign XI.

Its definitely become less important for me now, as in recent times we've seen that English/British players just aren't as good as their foreign counterparts. Plus there's the inflated prices of English players, but that's probably because of Liverpool buying Carrol, Henderson and Downing for insane amounts of cash for mediocre players. also our most endearing player is Brazilian (Sandro) so as long our players love the club I don'y give a hoot where they're from!

Always knew our English/British-based friends will complain about this sooner or later.:lol:

You can't blame the management for this. It seems almost all English/British players who want to stay at Spurs are not good enough while those who are good enough don't want to stay. And it is always too expensive to buy good British players. This has forced us to buy more non-British players in recent years.

Always knew our English/British-based friends will complain about this sooner or later.:lol:

You can't blame the management for this. It seems almost all English/British players who want to stay at Spurs are not good enough while those who are good enough don't want to stay. And it is always too expensive to buy good British players. This has forced us to buy more non-British players in recent years.

I think it's tragic. Tottenham Hotspur is first and foremost about Tottenham, and people who grew up there. After that it's London. After that it's London overspill. After that the rest of England. Then the rest of the world. Fans living in Tottenham are our most important fans, and then it trickles down from there in the order above.

Money in football has ruined it. Soon as we have a foreign XI it's no longer Tottenham Hotspur. May as well call it Brand Name FC. Next step will be the European Super League where they'll rave on about this English giant, fielding no English players, playing this Italian giant, featuring no Italian players. It's an utter disgrace.

brick... oops. Edited it now

I rate Dawson as our best centre half, but last season shows that AVB does not so you're probably right with that team.

I can't see Lennon and Rose lasting much longer. Bale will probably leave. Walker will be our sole English representative for a season or two and then he'll be replaced.

I think the homegrown quota idea is important. I think we should push it here in England. There's a certain pride with players like Ledley playing for our club, being a local lad. It means a little more.

I don't mind us fielding players from abroad at all, I just don't want us to completely abandon the idea of local talent and our youth system.

I think the current predicament is one of a shortage of genuine english talent shining through, and the ridiculous sums of money unproven players are sold for. Although I feel the rest of europe are catching up with these silly figures now for unproven youngsters.

I rate Dawson as our best centre half, but last season shows that AVB does not so you're probably right with that team.

I can't see Lennon and Rose lasting much longer. Bale will probably leave. Walker will be our sole English representative for a season or two and then he'll be replaced.

The thing is those players mentioned above are among what I'd potentially consider our weaker players and are naturally more at risk of being replaced. I think there is a problem with England producing the next generation of top talent, so through this homegrown rule, we afford those players some protection from being replaced and a chance to blossom.

The thing is those players mentioned above are among what I'd potentially consider our weaker players and are naturally more at risk of being replaced. I think there is a problem with England producing the next generation of top talent, so through this homegrown rule, we afford those players some protection from being replaced and a chance to blossom.

I think the home grown rule will simply mean we buy a lot more foreign youngsters. I am expecting a fair few from Italy now that Baldini is in charge of transfers.

It's funny isn't it. You English seem to be dominating in sport. Cricket. Cycling. Golf. Athletics. Even tennis at a stretch if you prefer to be British during Wimbledon.

But your football teams never been poorer in my years anyway.

It's just an indication of the failed youth policies and poor coaching standards in the country. In the Barca academy the kids don't play competitively until their teens. The reason being that by that age size and physique is a less a factor and so it promotes the technique of the young players. This won't change in England until the 'get it up the pitch to the big lad' philosophy is eradicated.

I was involved in the youth competition there a few months back and West Brom were one of the English representatives. There were teams from Spain, Holland, etc. WBrom were the worst of all the teams in practical every category you could think of - control, passing, awareness, movement, etc.- but they were the biggest.

The homegrown rule is an absolute joke. How can Siggy be homegrown, for example? Pure nonsense. Homegrown is a misnomer if there ever was one.

Last edited:
Who in here would like to see Spurs sign an inferior player for the same price just because the player is English/British? Or a more expensive player of the same quality?

It's just an indication of the failed youth policies and poor coaching standards in the country. In the Barca academy the kids don't play competitively until their teens. The reason being that by that age size and physique is a less a factor and so it promotes the technique of the young players. This won't change in England until the 'get it up the pitch to the big lad' philosophy is eradicated.

I was involved in the youth competition there a few months back and West Brom were one of the English representatives. There were teams from Spain, Holland, etc. WBrom were the worst of all the teams in practical every category you could think of - control, passing, awareness, movement, etc.- but they were the biggest.

The homegrown rule is an absolute joke. How can Siggy be homegrown, for example? Pure nonsense. Homegrown is a misnomer if there ever was one.

Makes perfect sense to me.

I don't think homegrown rules are in place primarily to promote domestic players. Do you?

I don't think it's a misnomer either. The term refers to players that spent a significant part of their youth development in a specific club/country. They were "grown" there.

Does no one else care about Tottenham grown players? I'd loved to have seen Caulker, Carroll and Townsend all starting at Palace.

Does no one else care about Tottenham grown players? I'd loved to have seen Caulker, Carroll and Townsend all starting at Palace.

I think most fans care, and I think most fans love to see our own young players starting games.

Speaking for myself I also care about us winning though. Just because I think that's more important than fielding home grown players, but doesn't mean that I don't care about us producing good youngsters.

Makes perfect sense to me.

I don't think homegrown rules are in place primarily to promote domestic players. Do you?

I don't think it's a misnomer either. The term refers to players that spent a significant part of their youth development in a specific club/country. They were "grown" there.

The rules currently are not in place to promote the development of kids native to the country but they should be IMO.

I think the name implies they are of that country, but actually it doesn't mean that at all. They should be called academy trained or whatever.

Back