• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spread betting and index trading....

africanspurs

Justin Edinburgh
Anyone here do that?

what was it like and would you recommend it to anyone?

I'm thinking of getting into it myself

After seeing a pal get massively burnt once I dont think its for me, exciting way of betting though

I spread on financials (shares, gold, commodities) for quick exposure. (this is not often though) But never on sport.

I wouldn't recommend it though.

Be honest about your personality traits, it can get very ugly.

AS i've written about this before on here but i'd advise you try Arbitrage betting... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbitrage_betting

So basically you pick a Arbitrage site (or software) which will update you with daily arbitrage bets. I paid a tenner a month for http://www.arbhunters.co.uk/ which would give me about 4 arbitrages a day but there's a few issues. Obviously they're sure things but:

1) You need to have quite a bit of cash to start off with. You literally have to stick various big sums in different bookies.

2) The arbitrages are usually 3% to 6% so you'd have to put a large amount to make any sort of meaningful profit. Occasionally though they provide you with some unreal ones (40% and higher).

3) Bookies are not thick. They will clock in if you're continuously betting on some random sport (Ukrainian 3rd division football, Armenian water sports etc etc). I mean it's not illegal but they can cancel your account.

My mate put me on this and he has some sort of Arbitrage software. I'm not joking when i say he made over 100k in a couple of years doing this.

Read the 'naked trader' I found it a good, easy read.

My latest share was in a company code called "COMS". Bought at 2.00 and currently 4.45.

If you do your homework and are willing to take an educated guess in companies you can do very well.

Of course everything is a risk. But no risk = no reward.

The naked trader has a good method to prevent getting burnt. He places a 'sell target' and a 'loss target'. If he buys into a share say at 100p he might set limits of 120p and 90p. If either are hit instructs him to sell. It may be a loss but least a minor one and one that many people wish they lived by before the market crash of 2008.

Also try using a website called 'bullbearings' it's a virtual stock market using virtual cash. All the shares match that of the real stock exchange so its perfect practise if your new to this.

I've seen some interesting videos on gold, suggesting that it is suppressed (as it is controlled by a few powerful people) in the US daily (if it has been bought upwards in Europe/Asia it is brought back down), so you could look for patterns like this (if true, I didn't check the data) and ride on some market manipulation (going short on Gold just before the US Markets open in this scenario, buying out of your short quickly after each day). With a tight stop loss you could make a lot of dough, perhaps.

I lost a lot on tech many years ago, Juniper Networks made me a bunch though, but I would never invest again, there is way too much emotion and perception involved for me to touch it (ignoring the blatant corruption and manipulation).

Good luck if you do though.

My mate put me on this and he has some sort of Arbitrage software. I'm not joking when i say he made over 100k in a couple of years doing this.

what software was it and what was his start up capital

PM if you like and done want to mention that on here but i think people would like to know though

Back