• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min

Son is the player he has always been since he has been here he has had runs of games when he is almost absent in anything positive, he has great streaks and then there are games when he seems not to be able to do anything right.
And like the rest of the squad has been involved in 3 games in 8 days, including travel. And also, another ludicrous shorter turn around than necessary. The other week we played Monday night before a Thursday game. And this week it was Thursday to lunchtime Sunday. It’s bizarre that our domestic league doesn’t work to help the clubs that make it so much money.

And like the rest of the squad has been involved in 3 games in 8 days, including travel. And also, another ludicrous shorter turn around than necessary. The other week we played Monday night before a Thursday game. And this week it was Thursday to lunchtime Sunday. It’s bizarre that our domestic league doesn’t work to help the clubs that make it so much money.
Midday kicks offs are just bizarre
As Klopp and pep said, we’re trying to break our own players

Oh please! That's like comparing apples to apricots. Alli has hardly been able to put a foot right for months whereas until the last four games Son has been on fire. Imv the explanation for his barren patch is quite simple.

Since his run of ten goals inseven games recently Son is now being closed down way more effectively. Managers have divined that he is at his deadliest on the counter so they are organising defences to block his route to goal. Most of the time now he seems to be surrounded by three defenders, so if he tries to take them on he's inevitably going to come a cropper more often. Also his shots are being blocked and he's being obliged to pass sideways or back instead and has failed to score in any of his last four games.

That for me is all there is to it really.
I find it strange that people can't compare apples to apricots.

That digression aside, if you read my post with the assumption that I'm not stupid I think you'll realise that you answered to a point I didn't make.

To make myself clear. I wasn't comparing Son to where Alli is now. I was comparing Son to the way Alli was playing when he was an automatic starter for us and doing really well.

Scoring goals, getting assists, without having a huge impact on the game other than that and a good work rate. A final third player that will get loads of end product, but not a Harry Kane dominant force of nature.

By being a player like that he will naturally be somewhat streaky. There will be a small number of situations that determine if he has a good game or not. Sometimes several of them will go in and he will be "amazing", other times none of them will go in and he'll be "ineffective".

Unlike Kane who can be amazing even without goals or assists in a game. That very rarely happens with Son.

'Just' the goals and assists you say.

I know many a manager that would be happy with that, and that only.
Including Mourinho.

And many fans, including myself.

As you can see in the part of my post you cropped out I want him to keep doing what he's doing. He's great at it and should play to his strengths. And we as fans should accept that this will mean that sometimes he'll have games where his impact isn't all that telling.

That digression aside, if you read my post with the assumption that I'm not stupid I think you'll realise that you answered to a point I didn't make.

To make myself clear. I wasn't comparing Son to where Alli is now. I was comparing Son to the way Alli was playing when he was an automatic starter for us and doing really well.

Scoring goals, getting assists, without having a huge impact on the game other than that and a good work rate. A final third player that will get loads of end product, but not a Harry Kane dominant force of nature.

By being a player like that he will naturally be somewhat streaky. There will be a small number of situations that determine if he has a good game or not. Sometimes several of them will go in and he will be "amazing", other times none of them will go in and he'll be "ineffective".

Unlike Kane who can be amazing even without goals or assists in a game. That very rarely happens with Son.

I disagree mate, I think streaky Son or Son who disappears for long stretches of games is a narrative/vision we have that is a hangover from his early years. Certainly over the last year when not injured he's been pretty consistent and I've seen him run teams fudging ragged even when he doesn't score.

To me, the Kane, Son, +1 (Bale/Bergwijn/Lamela/Lucas) is terrifying to watch when it works. What's the caveat?
- Our midfield has to be able to hold the line enough for them to get the ball (PEH is a huge help for that)
- Someone needs to be able to pick the pass to them (Ndombele/Lo Celso, Toby and the Reguilon, Doherty/Aurier setup does that)

I think Son is a super high energy player and isn't great after too many close together matches (I think Kane is almost opposite, he gets match sharp and is rusty when given time off)

I also think teams are so aware of the threat, there will be lots of tactics to try and stop them, from pressing certain parts of field, to bricky fouling, to low blocks .. we just need to adapt and some days it will look laboured ..

I disagree mate, I think streaky Son or Son who disappears for long stretches of games is a narrative/vision we have that is a hangover from his early years. Certainly over the last year when not injured he's been pretty consistent and I've seen him run teams fudging ragged even when he doesn't score.

To me, the Kane, Son, +1 (Bale/Bergwijn/Lamela/Lucas) is terrifying to watch when it works. What's the caveat?
- Our midfield has to be able to hold the line enough for them to get the ball (PEH is a huge help for that)
- Someone needs to be able to pick the pass to them (Ndombele/Lo Celso, Toby and the Reguilon, Doherty/Aurier setup does that)

I think Son is a super high energy player and isn't great after too many close together matches (I think Kane is almost opposite, he gets match sharp and is rusty when given time off)

I also think teams are so aware of the threat, there will be lots of tactics to try and stop them, from pressing certain parts of field, to bricky fouling, to low blocks .. we just need to adapt and some days it will look laboured ..
One thing with son is when he is playing more fatigued he stays wide
But I’ll add that lately we have played opposition who have sat deep. His success is generally against teams that play high. Will be interesting against city to see that contrast

Oh please! That's like comparing apples to apricots. Alli has hardly been able to put a foot right for months whereas until the last four games Son has been on fire. Imv the explanation for his barren patch is quite simple.

Since his run of ten goals inseven games recently Son is now being closed down way more effectively. Managers have divined that he is at his deadliest on the counter so they are organising defences to block his route to goal. Most of the time now he seems to be surrounded by three defenders, so if he tries to take them on he's inevitably going to come a cropper more often. Also his shots are being blocked and he's being obliged to pass sideways or back instead and has failed to score in any of his last four games.

That for me is all there is to it really.

On top of which, our last few games have been against teams that were going to approach Spurs with a defensive mindset anyway; they deliberately clamped down and blocked us. They were not easy games for Son.

Might be asking much here, but what are the games where he's been running teams ragged without scoring/assisting?

Definitely open to the idea that my memory isn't up to scratch, and I know giving specific games as examples can be hard.

Just my impression...

I think you could be right. Too many quick succession games and Sonny kind of plays himself OUT of form. Conversely can really hit the ground running when fresh.

The one issue is, he's so enthusiastic he just wants to play play play.

You say I answered a point you did not make. Fair enough. I apologise if I took you the wrong way.

However it might have helped if you'd expounded your point a bit more in your original post like you have just done in your reply above.

But hey ho, it's just a relief to learn you were not suggesting Son is about to go the way of Dele. Let's hope that latter too can get back to his brilliant best very soon, then we'll all be delighted for both of them. :D

You say I answered a point you did not make. Fair enough. I apologise if I took you the wrong way.

However it might have helped if you'd expounded your point a bit more in your original post like you have just done in your reply above.

But hey ho, it's just a relief to learn you were not suggesting Son is about to go the way of Dele. Let's hope that latter too can get back to his brilliant best very soon, then we'll all be delighted for both of them. :D
Son is doing brilliantly, and fits into our system like a glove. He works hard too. With Reguilon being more of an attacking threat down that side I think they could form a devastating partnership.

Every reason to think he'll continue being a big success.

Back