• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min

Personally I have no interest in seeing any kid, let alone a hugely talented footballer at my club, get sent to fight in wars. You can be proud of your country without going into the military. Soldiers will always have my sympathies and support of course, I simply wish they didn’t have to go...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Arma Pacis Fulcra

HE deserved it...
No guarantee that Lamela would have scored. In fact far from it. Yes he was much better placed but his record is hardly impressive and chances are he'd still have scooped it way over the bar, just like Ronaldo did late on against Juve on Tuesday night.

In my book Son still had the better option. He was just unlucky, that is all.

No guarantee that Lamela would have scored. In fact far from it. Yes he was much better placed but his record is hardly impressive and chances are he'd still have scooped it way over the bar, just like Ronaldo did late on against Juve on Tuesday night.

In my book Son still had the better option. He was just unlucky, that is all.

Normally I would agree with you, but Son had lost control of the ball by the time he shot.
He hesitated IMO because he considered squaring it to dele and in that split second let it run too far in front of him for a proper shot.
The real mistake was not squaring it for Dele.

Son was never going to score, but had a great opportunity to lay it off - and instead chose to shoot.

It was a poor decision and quite rightly the lads had a pop at him.
On the face of it maybe but Son has scored from amazing angles in the past and has a better conversion record for us in the PL (one goal every three games) than Lamela (one every twelve) so I do not blame him for backing himself.

Besides which in reality far too many things can go wrong to say the pass is always the better option. It's misplaced, it gets intercepted, the shot is blocked, it's ballooned over the bar, the keeper makes a great save, it's cleared off the line, etc etc etc. See below!

A bird in the hand and all that.

On the face of it maybe but Son has scored from amazing angles in the past and has a better conversion record for us in the PL (one goal every three games) than Lamela (one every twelve) so I do not blame him for backing himself.

Besides which in reality far too many things can go wrong to say the pass is always the better option. It's misplaced, it gets intercepted, the shot is blocked, it's ballooned over the bar, the keeper makes a great save, it's cleared off the line, etc etc etc. See below!

A bird in the hand and all that.

Its all about the odds, probabilities, and from that position the probability of a goal was much better if you were a team player than a selfish bugger.

Yes, maybe he could have scored. Maybe had he passed it Lamela might have ballooned it, but the correct choice in that particular situation was a square ball and not trying to score himself.

As it happened, he proved the point - he fudged it up - but then got super lucky Alli was on hand to make something of it.

Getting verbal from his team mates was entirely justified at that point, they were right, and I suspect he knew it.

Bottom line is all attacking players do this at times, get the tunnel vision and go for goal, so its hardly the end of the world. Just a fair point made on that particular incident, IMO.

Its all about the odds, probabilities, and from that position the probability of a goal was much better if you were a team player than a selfish bugger.

Yes, maybe he could have scored. Maybe had he passed it Lamela might have ballooned it, but the correct choice in that particular situation was a square ball and not trying to score himself.

As it happened, he proved the point - he fudged it up - but then got super lucky Alli was on hand to make something of it.

Getting verbal from his team mates was entirely justified at that point, they were right, and I suspect he knew it.

Bottom line is all attacking players do this at times, get the tunnel vision and go for goal, so its hardly the end of the world. Just a fair point made on that particular incident, IMO.
Kane does this a lot IMO, but the counter argument is they wouldnt score as many goals if they wasnt so selfish....

Kane does this a lot IMO, but the counter argument is they wouldnt score as many goals if they wasnt so selfish....

Absolutely.

Its a case for balance, IMO, and my feelings on it tend to fluctuate.

There are times a player is repeatedly selfish like this, in situations like this, where it really starts to tinkle me off. Others where it seems justified considering they are getting goals.

Though Son is prone to these things fairly often, Im not trying to judge him as a player - just that one incident - which I think he got wrong and deserved a gonad*ing for.

Not sure about the mask goal - there wasn't an obvious goal scoring opportunity elsewhere presenting itself which was spurned in order to shoot, it was just an outrageous shot

There were a few, but I think the one against Chelsea (I think) stands out where he shrugs off 2/3 defenders then hits it from 25 yards out from last season/previous one. (Memory gone to crap in old age lol)

And thank fudge players like Kane and Son DO get tunnel vision, it's what helps them score so many. Infuriates me when fans bang on about their selfishness because that's the main reason they score so many.

The point is that when any striker shoots it's because he believes he's going to score. It's not until after the ball has left his boot that the outcome is known. Therefore in my book strikers have to be allowed to follow their instinct even though with hindsight the better option might, repeat might, have been to have passed.

I remain happy with that.

Back