• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min Signs - Official

Anyone know much about him? Rumoured to be looking at him this window according to the Mail. Wouldn't surprise me as a Levy signing, commercially not unlike having Friedel/Dempsey and the signings of Khumalo/Pienaar. I don't think any of those signings were just down to a commercial aspect but I do believe they played a part especially in the Khumalo deal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...rival-Liverpool-Hamburg-striker-Heung-Mi.html

Never seen him play, but have heard him being described as a massive talent.

Guessing the fail is just making brick up though.

Never seen him play, but have heard him being described as a massive talent.

Guessing the fail is just making brick up though.

Hamburg by their own admission are having financial difficulties and need to balance the books, I think VdV was subsidised by a local businessman desperate to see him return. If he is a really good prospect then soon enough someone will get him for below market value I would imagine given the clubs situation.

Seen him play 4 or 5 times suppose he's got a decent future ahead of him personally dont think he'd improve us and wouldnt get game time to improve.
As for him signing admitedly if we were to sign other this window i'll be happy but from avbs soundbites the true 'itk' doesn't sound like we're planning on spending much money :(

Seen him play 4 or 5 times suppose he's got a decent future ahead of him personally dont think he'd improve us and wouldnt get game time to improve.
As for him signing admitedly if we were to sign other this window i'll be happy but from avbs soundbites the true 'itk' doesn't sound like we're planning on spending much money :(

Fair enough if you've seen him that much. Guess he's still young, though.

I've taken to ignoring what managers say about potential signings. It almost always turns out to be a pack of lies!

I'd prefer to sign these sort of shirt selling players from Far East teams and not when they are already at a European Club. I think your more likely to get better revenue return buying from the home country.

I'd prefer to sign these sort of shirt selling players from Far East teams and not when they are already at a European Club. I think your more likely to get better revenue return buying from the home country.

I think were past the stage where you sign these players just to sell shirts. I think if we sign him it's because we think he can have a positive impact on the first team

Anyone know much about him? Rumoured to be looking at him this window according to the Mail. Wouldn't surprise me as a Levy signing, commercially not unlike having Friedel/Dempsey and the signings of Khumalo/Pienaar. I don't think any of those signings were just down to a commercial aspect but I do believe they played a part especially in the Khumalo deal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...rival-Liverpool-Hamburg-striker-Heung-Mi.html

As if anyone in South Africa bought a spurs jersey because of Khumalo. He was brought because Levy thought we could get him in cheap and sell him on for a profit.

Considering clubs make something minuscule like a tenner from each jersey sale, clubs dont this any more as player wages and transfer fees have gone through the roof.

Considering clubs make something minuscule like a tenner from each jersey sale, clubs dont this any more as player wages and transfer fees have gone through the roof.

Shirt sales wouldn't be the only motivation, though. TV viewing figures are also important - as is market research into numbers of fans / followers around the world. Become the focus of attention for millions of fanatical South Korean or Japanese football fans and the value of a club's commercial rights increases significantly.

Tell that to the 11 teams wanting a piece of David Beckham.

I shouldn't have just said shirts, I should have stated commercial revenue as a whole. The whole reason that Manchester Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea have TV channels is to feed the hunger in that part of the world. Sponsorship deals would be somewhat better were we to sign a player that has a following of 500m people. For a bit of research I wonder how many twitter followers he has say in comparison to Leandro Damiao who I think has around 300k. If he has less I'd be shocked.

EDIT- I don't even know whether twitter is used in that domain like it is in the Western World, so maybe check whatever they do use as a comparison.

Last edited:

Stop with the nonsense and obvious bias. Asian players have come a long way. Out of the six Korean and Japanese players in the Premier League, only two are not playing regularly.

Shinji Kagawa - Man United
Maya Yoshida - Southampton

Ryo Miyashi - Wigan (on loan from Arsenal, 20 year-old)
Ki Sung-Yueng – Swansea
Park Ji-Sung – QPR

Ji Dong-Won – Sunderland (on loan to Augsburg, 21 year-old)

Stop with the nonsense and obvious bias. Asian players have come a long way. Out of the six Korean and Japanese players in the Premier League, only two are not playing regularly.

Shinji Kagawa - Man United
Maya Yoshida - Southampton

Ryo Miyashi - Wigan (on loan from Arsenal, 20 year-old)
Ki Sung-Yueng – Swansea
Park Ji-Sung – QPR

Ji Dong-Won – Sunderland (on loan to Augsburg, 21 year-old)

6 out of 500 players on the 25 total squad list of EPL teams. Cool

What's the bias you talk off. Genuinely interested.

What are your thoughts on the fact that Ferguson sent Park packing and instantly brought in another from the region in Kagawa. IMO the Park revenue had dried up.

I'd like to point out that at no time have I said that these players are not any good.

Last edited:

What are your thoughts on the fact that Ferguson sent Park packing and instantly brought in another. IMO the Park revenue had dried up.

Fergie used to play park in there big games in all completions quite a lot more than just shirt money imo .

Just because of the country the player is from, you dismissed him as a "shirt selling player." If that is not bias then what is it?

Russia and Serbia only have 5 players in the Premier League. They must be "non-cool" too?

He would be a commercial player, just as is David Beckham. If they have fanatic following, they are worth more to a club on a commercial standpoint than what they do on the pitch in many cases. Beckham at LA Galaxy is a prime example of such a player.

If Tottenham signed Dave from Grampus Eight.. he was a superstar in Japan. His followers would all be watching Tottenham games, instantly, Tottenham sponsors would all be getting airtime in an area that make those sponsors very happy. Instantly Tottenham can sell those rights for more money, from shirts, to advertising around the ground.

He would be a commercial player, just as is David Beckham. If they have fanatic following, they are worth more to a club on a commercial standpoint than what they do on the pitch in many cases. Beckham at LA Galaxy is a prime example of such a player.

If Tottenham signed Dave from Grampus Eight.. he was a superstar in Japan. His followers would all be watching Tottenham games, instantly, Tottenham sponsors would all be getting airtime in an area that make those sponsors very happy. Instantly Tottenham can sell those rights for more money, from shirts, to advertising around the ground.

As a superstar, Dave will demand a multi-year contract with high wage. Say something like £40,000 a week or about £2 million a year for 4 years. Transfer fee could be anywhere. Swansea paid £6 million to Celtic for Ki Sung-Yueng. The overall investment (transfer fee + wage + others) will easily be in excess of £10 million. To recoup the investment, Spurs will have to play Dave regularly to continue getting that overseas coverage. This would be detrimental to Spurs and its ambition if Dave is not good enough to take Spurs to the next level. We are now better than signing Asian players to just sell shirts. Man United did not buy Park and Kagawa just for commercial reasons. Sure, overseas advertisement, overseas tour, shirt sales and game day benefits are parts of the overall consideration. However, first and foremost is that the player must have the potential to make it at our level.

For David Beckham, the MLS signed him for a lot of money. However, Beckham was also one of the top 2 players for LA Galaxy (the other one is Landon Donovan).

Back