• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min

You realise you are becoming a meme?

We all know he wasn't good this game. Nobody is saying different.
So i can’t state my opinion in the thread about him, after a game? No meme about it, just proving my point that when he isn’t in his red hot patch that he is properly brick.

So i can’t state my opinion in the thread about him, after a game? No meme about it, just proving my point that when he isn’t in his red hot patch that he is properly brick.

You can state it as much as you want. You do. Continuously, hence it becoming a meme.

Get Son running in behind or running at defenders with space to attack and he's world class.

Deny him that and he's nowhere near world class. Rather average actually (at this level).

For me this kind of game for him should be expected. That one moment, they get it wrong, we get something really right or a lucky bounce. He can be world class for 15 seconds and we'll all be happy. That doesn't happen he's not very useful.

That, to me, doesn't mean he should have been dropped. It's a worthwhile gamble. He demands a lot of attention from the opposition. We just need to use that to our advantage.

For 95 minutes he was anonymous at the bridge… again
That’s poor for a player of his quality
So you'd rather we played someone lacking that critical cutting edge? Every player has off-days, but find me someone who will put the ball in the back of the net and I'll bite your hand off.

Get Son running in behind or running at defenders with space to attack and he's world class.

Deny him that and he's nowhere near world class. Rather average actually (at this level).

For me this kind of game for him should be expected. That one moment, they get it wrong, we get something really right or a lucky bounce. He can be world class for 15 seconds and we'll all be happy. That doesn't happen he's not very useful.

That, to me, doesn't mean he should have been dropped. It's a worthwhile gamble. He demands a lot of attention from the opposition. We just need to use that to our advantage.

Exactly - it's no coincidence, imo, that he's exploded as a player at about the same rate as we've gone from being front-foot to becoming a counterattacking side, falling deeper into our half and inviting the opponent onto us. Our game over the past few years has suited Sonny perfectly in the sense of giving him all the space he needs on the counter to use his devastating pace and two-footedness.

But when we play up against packed blocks, he's rarely good - and likewise, when we play against drilled, high-pressing sides like Chelsea today.

Don't get me wrong, he's gotten better at the latter over the years - he's managed to find spaces and moments even when we're pressed as a unit, like against Pool and City last season. But he definitely struggles more than usual, and I don't think it's something he can improve at this point.

I actually think we might play Richarlison over Sonny more than people expect - Richy is certainly not as quick, nor as two-footed, but against packed blocks and against pressing sides, his ability to fight and win headers and free kicks will actually be very useful, imo.

Exactly - it's no coincidence, imo, that he's exploded as a player at about the same rate as we've gone from being front-foot to becoming a counterattacking side, falling deeper into our half and inviting the opponent onto us. Our game over the past few years has suited Sonny perfectly in the sense of giving him all the space he needs on the counter to use his devastating pace and two-footedness.

But when we play up against packed blocks, he's rarely good - and likewise, when we play against drilled, high-pressing sides like Chelsea today.

Don't get me wrong, he's gotten better at the latter over the years - he's managed to find spaces and moments even when we're pressed as a unit, like against Pool and City last season. But he definitely struggles more than usual, and I don't think it's something he can improve at this point.

I actually think we might play Richarlison over Sonny more than people expect - Richy is certainly not as quick, nor as two-footed, but against packed blocks and against pressing sides, his ability to fight and win headers and free kicks will actually be very useful, imo.
richarlison is almost an uncontrollable player and it will make us harder to play against

Fully agree
But it would help if he could just keep the ball a second more in these games
He doesn’t play well when marked tight

He was rubbish yesterday, and if he wasn’t there for that goal Richarlison was right there behind him to nod it in. We all love Kane but he was awful yesterday…..
If my aunt had balls... It's no given that Richarlison would have scored that, what we do know is that his PL record is one goal every 3.6 games, whereas Kane's is one every 1.5.

No one is denying Kane was rubbish yesterday, point is he still scored what turned out to be a vital equaliser. Whether Richarlison would have scored it is pure speculation, nothing else.

If my aunt had balls... It's no given that Richarlison would have scored that, what we do know is that his PL record is one goal every 3.6 games, whereas Kane's is one every 1.5.

No one is denying Kane was rubbish yesterday, point is he still scored what turned out to be a vital equaliser. Whether Richarlison would have scored it is pure speculation, nothing else.
Richarlison has his record playing at Watford and Everton whilst not being CF half the time so not sure what the point of bringing that up is. He was about two yards from goal I would have put my house on him scoring that he was actually in a slightly better position for it than Kane - who actually almost headed it wide as it is, in fact watching the replays I still wasn’t really convinced that it was going in but happy he got credited it rather than an OG…..

Is there anything to worry about here? Is he being man-marked more than usual...or is he just pacing himself for the long/gruelling half-season before the Qatar nonsense?

Is there anything to worry about here? Is he being man-marked more than usual...or is he just pacing himself for the long/gruelling half-season before the Qatar nonsense?

Not really. He’s had a slow start AKA two sub par games by his standards, still managed an assist in the first game mind you so even when he plays poorly he’s a threat. It’s just the same nonsense from the usual suspects who want him hauled off if he has 5 bad minutes in a game. For the record, no problem with him being taken off on Sunday. But it’s grating that him and Kane are pretty much expected to turn up every single game without having an off day but the rest of the team can coast.

Time to make my annual offering at the Son Shrine, and I also have to remind everyone that as possibly this forum's only Korean, my love for Sonny is automatically 50,000x greater than anyone else's (it's 50,000x and not 100,000x because I'm only half). In the offering basket, I place a jar of kimchi, a platter of galbi grilled by an older Korean lady, and a DVD box set of Squid Game. I pray that these offerings bring him another golden boot so he can wear both of them to his marriage ceremony after retiring as a player because the only thing he is married to now is football.

Back