• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min

He's my young fella's favourite player and the 9 year old in me loves Sonny to bits. How could you not? Just saw his interview on BBC about the golden boot and its just made me love him even more.

So 19 goals and 7 assists this season but people have complained because Conte has refused to drop him, funny that
And if he had been rested for the odd game this season his output when he was back in the side being more refreshed might of been better, you don’t know. Of course he is going to perform overall in a season,I have never seen anyone suggest otherwise - that doesn’t mean you can never rotate him for the odd game especially when for a good period of time, he was quite frankly awful. And even then he could still come on for the last half hour if needed. Don’t know why so many people get their knickers in a twist about the suggestion of resting him when he had played so many games, travelled a lot for internationals and was in blatantly poor form, it’s not as if people are saying they don’t rate him…..

And if he had been rested for the odd game this season his output when he was back in the side being more refreshed might of been better, you don’t know. Of course he is going to perform overall in a season,I have never seen anyone suggest otherwise - that doesn’t mean you can never rotate him for the odd game especially when for a good period of time, he was quite frankly awful. And even then he could still come on for the last half hour if needed. Don’t know why so many people get their knickers in a twist about the suggestion of resting him when he had played so many games, travelled a lot for internationals and was in blatantly poor form, it’s not as if people are saying they don’t rate him…..
Okay so you choose to rest him. But this begs the question, when? How are you supposed tom know which game he's going to play a blinder and which he's going to struggle. On your line of thinking he could just as easily have been rested yesterday when he scored two, including that worldie, and assisted one. Or the day he scored a hat-trick against Villa. Or when he scored four against United. Or the game he got Goal of the Season against Burnley. Or ... well by now you get my drift.

On MotD last night they came up with a stat showing this season's leading PL scorers excluding penalties. Son was top with 19, ahead of Salah, no less, by two clear goals.

I'm not going to argue Son doesn't have off days, but name me a top player that doesn't? I cited a few pages back stats that suggest he has been the most consistent striker this season. Only one other PL player has better goals+assists stats this season, and that one happens to play for a much stronger all-round team than Tottenham.

Put it like this, can you see Klopp dropping Salah for Bergwijn? Seriously?

Berg would be more likely to cover Diaz on the left side or Mane centrally. But in answer to a question you appear to think is a checkmate, yes. It’s called competing on all fronts, which is what Liverpool are currently doing and them and Emirates Marketing Project have the ability to mix it up and often do so.

If Minamino has got 23 appearances this season it’s not unlikely that if Stevey and him swapped places he’d get the same or more.

Okay so you choose to rest him. But this begs the question, when? How are you supposed tom know which game he's going to play a blinder and which he's going to struggle. On your line of thinking he could just as easily have been rested yesterday when he scored two, including that worldie, and assisted one. Or the day he scored a hat-trick against Villa. Or when he scored four against United. Or the game he got Goal of the Season against Burnley. Or ... well by now you get my drift.

On MotD last night they came up with a stat showing this season's leading PL scorers excluding penalties. Son was top with 19, ahead of Salah, no less, by two clear goals.

I'm not going to argue Son doesn't have off days, but name me a top player that doesn't? I cited a few pages back stats that suggest he has been the most consistent striker this season. Only one other PL player has better goals+assists stats this season, and that one happens to play for a much stronger all-round team than Tottenham.

Top players don't often get benched/rested unless they are carrying a knock - Salah for example has played a game more than Son in the league this season, Mane the same number, similar minutes - Liverpool wouldn't rotate them out when there are important points to play for despite having the options to do so

Last edited:

You hand pick the games Son would be rested for. Yes Bergwijn isn’t at Sons level, but he is a good player and getting two minutes at the end of a game he isn’t going to be able to truly show what he can do. He started up front against West Ham in the cup and got a goal and an assist. Whilst not at Sons level, I’m not having that Bergwijn isn’t of a good enough standard to start against the lower placed teams in the league. And if we still need Son, he comes on for the last half hour or so against tired legs. And we aren’t talking about doing this for an extended period of time, just the occasional game to get Son fresh and in peak condition, with the added benefit of keeping a squad player interested…..

You hand pick the games Son would be rested for. Yes Bergwijn isn’t at Sons level, but he is a good player and getting two minutes at the end of a game he isn’t going to be able to truly show what he can do. He started up front against West Ham in the cup and got a goal and an assist. Whilst not at Sons level, I’m not having that Bergwijn isn’t of a good enough standard to start against the lower placed teams in the league. And if we still need Son, he comes on for the last half hour or so against tired legs. And we aren’t talking about doing this for an extended period of time, just the occasional game to get Son fresh and in peak condition, with the added benefit of keeping a squad player interested…..

The problem is Conte doesn't rate Bergwijn to start games in Son's stead. It would put undue pressure on Bergwijn to succeed as any time he doesn't score Conte will be looking to bench to play his starter and the player he believes in.

What I think is a more reasonable circumstance is for Bergwijn to come into games earlier when things aren't going well. However I think it's clear he rates Moura more in the wider roles as that is who he tends to go for over Bergwijn.

Regarding the resting of top players that tends to happen in the tertiary competitions and in games where every point isn't so critical. If we were still in Europe maybe Bergwijn would be getting more games.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

He's one of our best players. He's streaky, but he'll always find form again. And even when off form he's a threat that opponents have to be aware of. And he works hard even when not on form.

Unless massive fixture congestion and given a break you don't drop players like him imo.

Berg would be more likely to cover Diaz on the left side or Mane centrally. But in answer to a question you appear to think is a checkmate, yes. It’s called competing on all fronts, which is what Liverpool are currently doing and them and Emirates Marketing Project have the ability to mix it up and often do so.

If Minamino has got 23 appearances this season it’s not unlikely that if Stevey and him swapped places he’d get the same or more.
I think Stevie has 22 appearances but that may include internationals (was on a quote last night)

Sons worst spell was around the time of Boro and United. Up at Boro, he turned in one of the worst performances I've seen from any of our players in recent years. But I remember seeing a stat from around that time when he was having stinkers that he'd scored 7 in 12 or something. The lad starts any time he's fit for me.

No, you completely missed my point, which was you need to play Son every game because overall he is currently more likely to win you matches than any other player, I'd say even more so than Kane right now. Dropping him imo, even for one game, would be way too risky.

That said, I would agree that Bergwijn has done well in his cameos this season, ergo it is a shame he cannot be given a start or even a run of starts. But that's the way the cookie crumbles.

No, you completely missed my point, which was you need to play Son every game because overall he is currently more likely to win you matches than any other player, I'd say even more so than Kane right now. Dropping him imo, even for one game, would be way too risky.

That said, I would agree that Bergwijn has done well in his cameos this season, ergo it is a shame he cannot be given a start or even a run of starts. But that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Bergwijn has done well in cameos. Just not when he has started.

Back